Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spin bike instead of turbo trainer?

• 27-11-2015 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Lads! Looking at spin bikes for the winter, any decent ones around? I know, should get a turbo but if I get a spin bike there won't be any wear on my road bike and I get the missus involved in cycling as well. She doesn't have any bike at all. So it's like 1 stone 2 birds situation. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Good spin bike = very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Normal bike when weather not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Oops, I get it now! (Was hoping for get one for cheap. But entry ones for 200-300 yoyos won't fit that.) So I should look no further than exercise bikes to get herself moving. For myself rollers (or trainers). To be honest I never mind going for a spin when it's dry whatever the temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Personally, I kind of prefer spin bikes to the trainer, but I think that's partly because I have to go to my local gym to use one. So it's kind of a social thing maybe, I prefer not sitting on my own in a dark room for hours on a trainer I guess. It's true though that a good spin bike will cost a fair whack, though I suppose you might pick something up second hand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

can you replicate exact position of road bike on the spin bike? if not whats the point in going for the spin bike over the turbo, which keeps you in the same position, i.e. proper training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

When i had a bike fit a while back i happened to mention i used a standard exercise bike for indoor training. He recommended getting a turbo trainer as my position on the exercise bike would be slightly different from that on the road bike, i would be using slightly different muscle groups so the gain i would be getting would be almost negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

mossym wrote: »
    can you replicate exact position of road bike on the spin bike? if not whats the point in going for the spin bike over the turbo, which keeps you in the same position, i.e. proper training

depends on the spin bike. My local gym in Newbridge has good bikes where you can get a decent road like position-not the same but not too far off. They also have spd pedals, so you can use cycling shoes, and they have head units that measure HR amd power. They arw bluetooth, so they don't work with Garmins, but they really arw pretty good, and most of the time there is a bike available, excwpt during actual spin classes.

Koobcam wrote: »
    depends on the spin bike. My local gym in Newbridge has good bikes where you can get a decent road like position-not the same but not too far off. They also have spd pedals, so you can use cycling shoes, and they have head units that measure HR amd power. They arw bluetooth, so they don't work with Garmins, but they really arw pretty good, and most of the time there is a bike available, excwpt during actual spin classes.

it really does, if it allows you the exact same position. either you're in the same position or you're not. sitting up or being in the tuck position on my bike on the turbo gives very different power vs. effort results. "road like" position could be a mile away from anything useful, they tend to make you much too vertical, artifically opening the hip angle beyond anything you'll see on a road bike

re-reading the op's request though, the spin bike might be fine if all it's for is a bit of general fitness for him and the wife. for any proper focused training though, unless you can get the same position on the spin bike, your own bike on a turbo is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Another plus for the spin bike is they don't create much noise

siochain wrote: »
    Another plus for the spin bike is they don't create much noise

not all turbos make lots of noise....direct drive units are pretty quiet. i can watch tv with mine at normal volumes

• Advertisement
Advertisement