Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power Meter Brands

• 12-01-2014 12:12am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just doing some research on power meters.

I haven't a clue of brands or types. Looking for info on ant compatible devices. It will be for a single bike use only.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Check out www.cyclepowermeters.com

I think all they do except for Polar are ANT+ compatible, and the only major brand they don't sell is powermax (http://www.power2max.de/europe/en/)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/power-meters

Good place to start reading up on them. Leaning towards the power2max myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

Anybody ever seen this Pioneer powermeter? I seen it in between a dura ace crank one day?
    Oh here it is, I wonder if its on sale yet?
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gy1rMeRkdVg&list=PLUdAMlZtaV13YJHezxloByoym22GRjwMn&feature=plpp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The one I saw was the Stages power meter but never heard of it before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Went through that process myself for a long time, doing a lot of reading. Bought a power2max last October for price/reliability/simplicity reasons and have not seen anything yet to make me think otherwise.

Stages would be the only other one I would consider due to its slightly lower price point on basic models but the doubling left leg power didn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Smalltom

I have a power2max and have no issues bar it doesn't give true left/right power like the garmin vector which is around €1500 as opposed to €800/900. If I had the money then garmin vector but am delighted with my P2M.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm about to give up on the Vector because it's not showing the consistency I would expect from L & R. On a recent trip to Newport velodrome cadence and power were dropping to zero when there was no scope for freewheeling on a fixie. We had a thread about them where others were noticing discrepancies when measured against other PMs

I have been regularly ensuring the pedals are tightened to the correct torque but still see a tail off of power output during a session (when I know there should not be - again it's easy to notice on an indoor track when power should pretty much be in line with speed except when drafting), and L/R balance shifting between 42/58 either way (when I know I am pretty consistently close to 50/50 on a Quarq and Wattbike). Looking at individual data points it's clear that sometimes it iis not picking up L or R at all with it being skewed 100% one way on occasions

It may be that I've got a dodgy set, and DCRainmaker did eventually get himself happy with his own set-up. However I've seen too many problems already, both from my own experience and that of others, to trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So whats the best value in the PM world? Stages and Power2Max? and any preference therein?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Inquitus wrote: »
    So whats the best value in the PM world? Stages and Power2Max? and any preference therein?

I got the Power2max after giving up on my rather Fragile Powertap. Stages multiplies one legs power to get the output for both. For some folks myself included that means that absolute power is less accurate than Power2max so it was a no brainer for me...

• Advertisement

Never heard any complaints about Power2Max (but I've never used one)

I think it's too early to tell with Stages - the fact it only measures one leg is a major disadvantage - although I've mentioned I am typically 50/50 anyway, others may be materially different. I'm right footed and my right leg certainly used to be a lot stronger than my left, but I suffer from sciatica in my right leg which probably helps even things out

Don't discount Powertaps if you are prepared to stick with the one wheel. I've also never had any major issues with Quarqs - I think technology and reliability wise they are fine but they are a bit pricier

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've used Powertap, Quarq and P2M.

I've not used SRM, partly due to the cost and partly because you have to ship it for battery changes (or at least that was the case a couple of years ago).

The Quarq (SRAM version) is a very high quality piece of kit with which I've had no problems other than a bit of creaking. The Powertap suffered short bearing life. The P2M (BOR version) doesn't creak but was awkward to fit and therefore problematic for foreign trips.

If I was doing it again I'd look for an Campag Ultratorque thinger but AFAIK only SRM do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If you have a stages and you ride 45% L / 55% R it will overestimate your power obviously, but if it does this consistently then as a training / race aid it matters not? as long as you are consistently comparing the same data, and it is consistently flawed, you are getting the same use out of it as any of the others? aside from you will think your ftp is higher than it is ;) or am I wrong in that assertion?

Inquitus wrote: »
    If you have a stages and you ride 45% L / 55% R it will overestimate your power obviously, but if it does this consistently then as a training / race aid it matters not? as long as you are consistently comparing the same data, and it is consistently flawed, you are getting the same use out of it as any of the others? aside from you will think your ftp is higher than it is ;) or am I wrong in that assertion?
    No it's a fair summary. The only slight caveat is whether your L/R split may be different in different scenarios (sprinting as opposed to steady riding, in or out of the saddle for example). I personally find it's pretty much 50/50 in all scenarios (except when I'm having a problem with the back with additional sciatica related weakness in the right leg)

As I said though, it's early days for Stages and it may be worth waiting a while (as I should probably have done for the Vector, but I had hoped it would provide a reliable measure for the track bike, and the only alternative at the time was the SRM at nearly twice the price)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty, there has been a track powertap available for ages.

I was thinking of putting one on the kids bike but had a bit of a word with myself and decided against it.

Lumen wrote: »
    Beasty, there has been a track powertap available for ages.
    I did know (but tbh had forgotten about it), but it limits you to the one wheel, and I want it as much for racing (when I will be using a variety of wheels, including disc wheels). I had been holding out (probably for 2 years or so!) for the Vector as I had expected that to provide all I needed (as well as easy back-up should I ever need to send one of the road bike PMs back for service/repair)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I am basically looking into one to prevent burnout.

Like most people I'm busy but want to get as much rides in as possible but I am not particularly smart about it. I might ride alot one week and physically not able for it next. I believe that PM's can help with this (so can alot of other things) so I'd like the research into it.

Stages announced as official supplier of PMs to Sky

That's a massive vote of confidence for them
    After extensive testing and validation Team Sky has chosen to exclusively use the Stages power meter during the 2014 racing season
    It will be interesting to see exactly how "exclusive" this is, or if any of the team actually race with SRMs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Beasty wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines: "that must have cost them a ton"

Beasty wrote: »
    Stages announced as official supplier of PMs to Sky

It will be interesting to see exactly how "exclusive" this is, or if any of the team actually race with SRMs

Saw that. Probably made my mind up. My brother in law is home from the states in May and I'll get him to bring back one as I think it will work out a lot cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Do Stages make head units? Or will they still be using SRM on the handlebars?

Not that I've seen. I assume they are ant /Bluetooth compatible

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines: "that must have cost them a ton"

i'm sure a lot of money went with that deal

at the same time, the idea that a result chasing team like Sky would use sub par equipment just for the money they get from a power meter maker is crazy. no results, all the other suppliers go away as well, and they are faced with bigger losses than the stages deal will make up for.

the anti stages crew on other forums are already saying that part of the deal is that stages have to develop a two sided version to provide L/R data. i find that extremely hard to believe. if that were the case they would have had to have done it before sky started using it and sky would have had to tested and okayed it before announcing it. i find it more likely sky are happy with the performance as is and are happy stages provides the data they need. that coupled with a big envelelope of moolah and sky are on stages

godtabh wrote: »
    Not that I've seen. I assume they are ant /Bluetooth compatible

they are both, the recently announced polar w800 claims support with them over bluetooth, and they connect to the garmins with ant+

all the sky riders have already been photographed with the stages meters in place and garmins on the bars.

so, easy inferrence is, but a stages and a garmin and you're as fast as froomie:)

mossym wrote: »
    i'm sure a lot of money went with that deal

at the same time, the idea that a result chasing team like Sky would use sub par equipment just for the money they get from a power meter maker is crazy. no results, all the other suppliers go away as well, and they are faced with bigger losses than the stages deal will make up for.

the anti stages crew on other forums are already saying that part of the deal is that stages have to develop a two sided version to provide L/R data. i find that extremely hard to believe. if that were the case they would have had to have done it before sky started using it and sky would have had to tested and okayed it before announcing it. i find it more likely sky are happy with the performance as is and are happy stages provides the data they need. that coupled with a big envelelope of moolah and sky are on stages

I'm sure they've done the test comparisons and know the link between l/r balance

I'm sure they've done the test comparisons and know the link between l/r balance

it's not my view, but the common argument is that the L/R balance is not the same across effort, fatigue level. and other variables. agree or not, there is some data out there to support that. the argument about single sided measuring will be more commonplace now that a high profile team is using them

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Saw that. Probably made my mind up. My brother in law is home from the states in May and I'll get him to bring back one as I think it will work out a lot cheaper

Works out cheaper alright, I bought one from a bike shop in the states shortly after they launched, unfortunately I had to return it as it decided to stop speaking to my Garmin, (Stages and the Bike Shop I got it from couldn't have been more helpful in fairness, couple of emails back and forth trying a few fixes but then said they'd replace it asap) posting it back was a bit of a pain and bear in mind that when you're getting anything from the States you're liable for VAT and customs charges as well. If I was buying again I'd probably get it in the UK, less hassle in the long run...

Statler wrote: »
    Works out cheaper alright, I bought one from a bike shop in the states shortly after they launched, unfortunately I had to return it as it decided to stop speaking to my Garmin, (Stages and the Bike Shop I got it from couldn't have been more helpful in fairness, couple of emails back and forth trying a few fixes but then said they'd replace it asap) posting it back was a bit of a pain and bear in mind that when you're getting anything from the States you're liable for VAT and customs charges as well. If I was buying again I'd probably get it in the UK, less hassle in the long run...

Where did you buy yours and what price was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I'd be in Florida,Missouri and Wisconsin with work a far bit.So I looked up Stages Power website to see what shops stock them near to where I'll be working.Then I clicked on the shops website for prices etc.Of the 10 shop websites I looked at,none listed Stages Power meters even though they were listed as dealers.I wonder are they special order only??? Next step will be to e-mail the shops to get prices etc.

Advertisement