Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Not exactly the most authoritative of sources ;). No disrespect to Joshua Engel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Oops, seem to have wandered into Politics.ie

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

tigerboon wrote: »
    Oops, seem to have wandered into Politics.ie

Sorry, I promised I wouldn't do it again, I'll stop now!
    duty_calls.png

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Technical Advice Please:

I've 'rung' the head of the 5mm hex bolt securing the front brake assembly on one of my bikes. I was attempting to unscrew it but it seems to be seized. It's deeply recessed and the hole was full of road crud. It's also impossible to see it which doesn't help.

Are these bolts fairly generic? If I cut through the visible part to the front of the frame, will it be easy to source a replacement? (Bike is a Fuji Gran Fondo).

Or should I leave it for the LBS to sort out?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Technical Advice Please:

I've 'rung' the head of the 5mm hex bolt securing the front brake assembly on one of my bikes. I was attempting to unscrew it but it seems to be seized. It's deeply recessed and the hole was full of road crud. It's also impossible to see it which doesn't help.

Are these bolts fairly generic? If I cut through the visible part to the front of the frame, will it be easy to source a replacement? (Bike is a Fuji Gran Fondo).

Thanks.

The nut is recessed into back of fork, is it that or bolt through caliper you've rounded.

If you've damaged nut, remove front wheel clamp caliper fully closed by hand which will allow you access head of bolt in caliper.

ford2600 wrote: »
    The nut is recessed into back of fork, is it that or bolt through caliper you've rounded.

If you've damaged nut, remove front wheel clamp caliper fully closed by hand which will allow you access head of bolt in caliper.
    Thanks ford. It's the nut recessed into the back of the fork. I'll have a look at it again in daylight tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I acquired one of those fly6 yokes recently and it is pretty damn good. Original version. I'll try and put a small clip up later.

This video/encoding doesn't really do the fly6 camera justice, being quite dark out and I think the newer version has removed a lot of the "red glow" too from the camera being a light, if that makes sense.

Regardless even with this version I have had cars wait behind me to overtake and I could get reg's, but I deleted those recordings as I am using a new card.

If I manage to get out in the daylight soon I'll pop up a little sample.
    the dzzzt dzzzt noise at the end are the gears...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Bikes, scooters and whatnot on the Toy Show right now. One kid in a trike is wearing Hi Viz.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Weepsie wrote: »
    One kid in a trike is wearing Hi Viz.
    Obviously had the desired effect then - you probably wouldn't have even spotted it if he wasn't.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Beasty wrote: »
    Obviously had the desired effect then - you probably wouldn't have even spotted it if he wasn't.....

Some of the others had cool helmets but were a danger to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

wow. The child with the hi-vis must have come via the m50 on the way to the RTE studios. Why else would they need hi-vis?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

traprunner wrote: »
    wow. The child with the hi-vis must have come via the m50 on the way to the RTE studios. Why else would they need hi-vis?

I think some of this stupidity relates to not wishing to get angry correspondence from safety scolds.

Some of it is the fruit of a decades-long campaign to denormalise cycling in normal clothes. It is now unthinkable for some people to place a child even on a static tricycle without "safety" equipment.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I think some of this stupidity relates to not wishing to get angry correspondence from safety scolds.

Some of it is the fruit of a decades-long campaign to denormalise cycling in normal clothes. It is now unthinkable for some people to place a child even on a static tricycle without "safety" equipment.

Every day I see streams of children in hi-viz coming from the schools in my neighbourhood, along some of the safest pavements in the country, with their parents or minders. It's a kind of magic ♫♪♫ - superstitious behaviour in its most concentrated form, equivalent to a Miraculous Medal in the 1950s in its protective power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Every day I see streams of children in hi-viz coming from the schools in my neighbourhood, along some of the safest pavements in the country, with their parents or minders. It's a kind of magic ♫♪♫ - superstitious behaviour in its most concentrated form, equivalent to a Miraculous Medal in the 1950s in its protective power.

https://twitter.com/Flaminghobo1/status/662220255041859584?s=09

https://twitter.com/Flaminghobo1/status/662042343630073857?s=09

https://twitter.com/Flaminghobo1/status/663637353140002816?s=09

So much topicality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Technical Advice Please:

Thanks.

A screw extractor should do it if you can borrow one. You might need to drill a starter hole in the bolt.

A screw extractor should do it if you can borrow one. You might need to drill a starter hole in the bolt.
    Sorted, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On my phone so don't know if it captures the finer points of A4 racing:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Got an Infini backlight today
    My dog is typing this
    Anyone know where I can get a braille keyboard? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

*woofle wurfle woof*

Barkglasses :confused: ... Darkglasses?
    Bit late for that suggestion, Fido!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

*woofle wurfle woof*

Barkglasses :confused: ... Darkglasses?
    Bit late for that suggestion, Fido!

Bit early to be hitting the beer ðŸº

Reading Tour de Ireland by Emmet Ryan; he has a nice dry sense of humour:
    Contrary to what I once believed, meditation does not have to be done with eyes closed. This, you'll agree, is a fairly welcome fact for the meditating cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/11/26/visibly-kind/#comments

"enlightened" discussion of the importance of Hi-viz clothing for cyclists.

Fian wrote: »
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/11/26/visibly-kind/#comments

"enlightened" discussion of the importance of Hi-viz clothing for cyclists.

Now it's not just the Gardaí and RSA trying to persuade people practising healthy travel to dress as binmen. Now the binmen want in on the act.

Dublin's deadliest junctions: High Street, Bridge Street, Cook Street down to the keys - St Audoen is not the patron saint of cyclists

http://dublininquirer.com/2015/12/02/danger-for-cyclists-heres-a-place-to-avoid/

Not one of my favourite stretches for sure. Surface can be treacherous too. And yet I go that way very often, as it's quite hard to get to the north side of town without going that way, especially with a trailer.

• Advertisement

Plan for Amsterdam Centraal to become more car-free:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement