Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Celtic Knot 1000

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

My four hours in the rain today has also reminded me of the need to be ready to ride for hours or even days in the rain and at widely differing temperatures - bring lots of changes of clothes and a saddle bag big enough for extra layers I'd say. It will be handy having the Clara base as you can potentially bring several changes of kit and at least you know that if you're wet you'll have something else to change into back at base. Not envying anyone mad enough to have signed up for the WAW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

One of the appealing aspects of the ride is returning to the same spot each day, allowing you to carry a minimum of stuff out on the road and change/ shower after each section, if you want.

It's good to do a few long rides in bad weather during winter. The Geimridh200 is next week and there's a few in Jan/ Feb. Should be available as permanents if you can't make the actual events. Winter miles, summer smiles ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    One of the appealing aspects of the ride is returning to the same spot each day..
    That could also increase the temptation to abandon it!

(The Barkley 160k ultra-marathon (with 16,500m climbing) has five loops from the centre starting point. Competitors say that the urge to give up is overwhelming each time one sees one's car parked at the start.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_Marathons

That could also increase the temptation to abandon it!

(The Barkley 160k ultra-marathon (with 16,500m climbing) has five loops from the centre starting point. Competitors say that the urge to give up is overwhelming each time one sees one's car parked at the start.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_Marathons

They aren't really similar events. There were three DNFs this year - one due to a mechanical and the other two with knee problems ( mainly due to the PBP qualifier rides beforehand).

The feedback was positive on the loop system out of a single base, especially from those doing their first long ride.

Good news. Some extra accommodation has been secured at the venue bringing the total amount of participants to 33. If you haven't got your entry in yet, there is currently a cancellation list in operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭darkvalley

A serious rush of blood and over-enthusiasm made me join the waiting list for this one.
    Damn you pre-christmasy positive thought!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

darkvalley wrote: »
    A serious rush of blood and over-enthusiasm made me join the waiting list for this one.
    Damn you pre-christmasy positive thought!!

I think that's what happened to me. I've (finally) sent my payment, having ummed, and then just forgotten, and then realizing I had transferred it out of my account anyway.

Might have to set up a log, and get some serious advice on training, and gear and the rest for this. I'll know early April how I'm set for it, having missed out on first 3 months of last year.

Just wondering how people are getting on with their training for this? Not too much longer to go at this stage, starting to wonder if the training is up to scratch. I've done a few 300s, plenty of 200s, a load of longish (150-200) rides back-to-back, but the distances in this event are going to be longer than anything I've done before

Don't worry about it. Try to keep in group that suits your pace. Keep the pace a bit less than you might like and focus on getting through all of it. Slow and steady will win through.

Just did the route check last week, there could be up to 150km of a headwind on the second section so it's important to conserve energy and share the work if possible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Koobcam wrote: »
    Just wondering how people are getting on with their training for this? Not too much longer to go at this stage, starting to wonder if the training is up to scratch. I've done a few 300s, plenty of 200s, a load of longish (150-200) rides back-to-back, but the distances in this event are going to be longer than anything I've done before
    Think of it as either 3x300 with an extra 100 FOC, and not ime off in between.
    Actually, just don't think about it, just do it.

How are you feeling overall? Have you made a battel plan or are you just going to go for it and see let the plan happen around you as you go?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Think of it as either 3x300 with an extra 100 FOC, and not ime off in between.
    Actually, just don't think about it, just do it.

How are you feeling overall? Have you made a battel plan or are you just going to go for it and see let the plan happen around you as you go?

Feeling grand, I've been in Beijing the past three months, so it's not been possible to simulate Irish roads or weather, but it's been good for getting the kms in. Been hard to do many long rides in the past few weeks because of work and the incredible heat (high 30s most days). Not sure how group ridign will go, I had kind of been working on the assumption of having to ride most of it solo, but a group for part of it would certainly make it more manageable. Wind and rain are going to be the biggest obstacles I think.

The Route has been finalized and is ready for next week:

http://www.celticknot1000.com/the-route.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Saw the Facebook post. A little bit if a cruel joke butting the biggest climb (unless I'm mistaken as I often am) 750 km in to the cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Weepsie wrote: »
    Saw the Facebook post. A little bit if a cruel joke butting the biggest climb (unless I'm mistaken as I often am) 750 km in to the cycle

Mistake too I thought felt they should have routed it day 3 the other way and left climb for last 50km..

They'll be bored of flat roads at that stages and glad of a bit of mountain

Yeah, it is quite flat . ' The Cut ' wouldn't rank in the challenging climbs of Ireland.

That said, quiet flat roads are mentally challenging, especially after a few days. Some sections have dead roads with strong headwinds.

Its no walk in the park, despite its scenic nature.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Mistake too I thought felt they should have routed it day 3 the other way and left climb for last 50km..

They'll be bored of flat roads at that stages and glad of a bit of mountain

Nah, get all the climbs out of the way at the start of day 3, best way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Doing this at weekend. And am bricking it. Training was badly disrupted with illness and have never done a 300 k cycle and now have 3 to do back to back. Have almost 6k done this year tho so hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

ciaeim wrote: »
    Doing this at weekend. And am bricking it. Training was badly disrupted with illness and have never done a 300 k cycle and now have 3 to do back to back. Have almost 6k done this year tho so hope that helps.

Best of luck. Really like the idea of this event and hoping to maybe have enough in me to give it a bash next year. :)

Best of luck. Really like the idea of this event and hoping to maybe have enough in me to give it a bash next year. :)

Thanks. And I will no doubt need it 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Good luck to everyone. I did it last year and it was the furthest I'd ridden in one weekend. I'd done 400 and 600km events but this was my first time facing into riding 300km on the third day and it was fine. I managed to get about 4-5 hours sleep every night and being able to come back to a bed, food and a shower was a great advantage.

The route is much the same as last year for days one and three. Day two has a detour into the dead roads of Clare that wasn't on last year's route. Although there isn't a lot of climbing over the three days, I found the first day's route over Sligo and Mayo surprisingly lumpy and if there's a headwind it could be quite sapping. The Cut is not particularly difficult on day three, you've got a bit of a warm-up and it's not the hardest climb in the country. My least favourite section of the route was the 15km of road between Enniscorthy and Bunclody, the Slaney Drive, last year it had feck all road surface and with nearly 900km in my legs at that stage I felt every lump!

It's a great way to see the country and you have a certain satisfaction from knowing that you've ridden from Ballina to Enniscorthy via Corrofin!

• Advertisement

We've two women this year. One flying from the States and the other camper-vaning from Wales. :)

Been checking the forecast with apprehension for the past week, but as things stand, looks like it could be an ideal weekend weather wise. Temperatures not particularly high, but light winds and not much rain, with a fair amount of sunshine. Of course that can all change by the weekend, but looking good so far. I've been going over my packing and I think a battery pack will be essential-I'm going to need to use the navigation on my Garmin a lot of the time, which is going to eat the battery-no way it will make it over about 12 hours unless I charge it up. Uncertain also as to whether or not to stuff a spare tyre in my extra large saddle bag-maybe some large patches would be just as good. I'll definitely have spares stashed in Clara anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Being able to leave any extra stuff you bring in Clara is very useful. You can then adapt what you bring with you to suit each day. You could get away with a jacket stuffed into a pocket and little else.

The weather was good last year too and it got better over the three days. I was using the route as a PBP training ride so I brought a small Ortlieb pannier with me as I knew I'd be using one on PBP. I did have an external battery pack for the Garmin 500 and it lived in a small top tube bag with the Haribo sweets!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Koobcam wrote: »
    Uncertain also as to whether or not to stuff a spare tyre in my extra large saddle bag-maybe some large patches would be just as good.

Bring the spare tyre. When you're cold and tired at 3 am in the middle of nowhere and your second spare tube has punctured because you couldn't find the thorn, fit the spare tyre and your third spare tube and you can hunt the thorn back at base...

Well, that's this year over with. By all accounts so far it was a success with the international participants and newcomers being especially impressed - good news for future editions I think.

Just sorting out details for next year but it should run in summer 2017 as a warmer-up for LEL. Well done to koobcam who rode very strong ( and had a few flaky moments ;) )

Date has been set for next year - Friday June 23rd.

Entries open October 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

This has been an ambition of mine do something of this magnitude for a long time kudos to all, what type of bike do people use for this? I currently thinking about this for the long distances
    Evans cycles.com/en-ie/kona-sutra-2015-touring-bike-EV217382
    What do people think ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's saying that bike is no longer available.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

This should be the guy here not sure if it is suitable for this ?cycleways.com/store/product/82531/Kona-Sutra-2016/

• Advertisement

Did it this year and loads of guys did it on race bikes even an aero bike just have miles in the legs and a comfortable saddle and you will be grand. It's superbly organised by the lads they couldn't do enough for you. And the feeling on completion is absolutely brilliant. Some buzz

Advertisement