Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smash [NBC] [** Spoilers **]

• 08-02-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source
    NBC is developing an hour-long pilot for a new Glee-esque series called Smash, a TV musical based on an idea by iconic lensman Steven Spielberg, who will be executive producing the whole shebang.

Any new copycat show that tried to compete with Glee generally wouldn’t have a snowball’s chance in Hades of eclipsing its awesomeness – but with Spielberg at the helm, this could be promising. The show will follow a cast of actors in the process of putting together a Broadway musical. We dunno – without the teen angst, high school politics, and the tension between characters like Will Schuester and Sue Sylvester, it just doesn’t sound as good!
    Several producers from the now-defunct Broadway production of Hairspray have been commissioned to work on the pilot. Additionally, there are even a few Tony-winning songwriters on board to pen original songs for the show.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/02/scoop-will-graces-debra-messing-joins-nbcs-glee-esque-pilot-smash/

Debra Messing in talks for a role

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,796 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a303634/katharine-mcphee-joins-musical-smash.html

Katharine McPhee has signed on for Steven Spielberg's upcoming musical drama Smash, according to reports.
    The singer and actress will star in the NBC pilot which revolves around a group who team together to stage a Broadway show based on the life on Marilyn Monroe, says The Hollywood Reporter.
    Details of McPhee's character have not been announced, although it has been confirmed that former Will & Grace star Debra Messing will play the production's lyricist, and that Jack Davenport will appear as the choreographer.
    Spielberg is among the executive producers of Smash.
    McPhee shot to fame on American Idol, where she finished runner-up on the fifth season. She has since appeared in movies including The House Bunny and guest starred in TV shows such as CSI: NY and Community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

According to Deadline....picked up to series by NBC.

I wanna talk a little about this, i know it's being touted as a Glee type show...imo this is totally wrong!...it won't be a Glee cheesfest with kids. It'll be a more serious adult orientated show ala Studio 60 On Sunset Strip meets Fame, it's a behind-the-scenes look at putting on a Broadway musical.

It's not kids in high school singin' 'n dancin'....yes there will be musical numbers and dance rehearsals, but i'd say that'll be a backdrop to more of an interpersonal relationship type show, ergo Studio 60.....imo i think the buzz and PR is totally misselling this show to people.

http://broadwayworld.com/article/BWW-TV-First-Look-Messing-McPhee-Talk-SMASH-20110515

http://broadwayworld.com/videoplay.php?colid=237016

This is gonna be a SMASH!

‘SMASH’ — “Smash” is a musical drama that celebrates the beauty and heartbreak of the Broadway theater as it follows a cross-section of dreamers and schemers who all have one common desire — to be a “Smash.” The series centers on a desire to create a Broadway musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe — written by the successful songwriting duo of Tom (Tony Award nominee Christian Borle, “Legally Blonde: The Musical”) and Julia (Emmy Award winner Debra Messing, “Will & Grace”). Julia recently began the process of adopting a child with her husband of many years, but her focus is torn when she has the opportunity to write another Broadway hit. A rivalry soon forms for the lead role between a youthful, inexperienced Midwestern beauty (Katharine McPhee, “American Idol”) — who is trying to find fame in the big city against all odds — and stage veteran (Megan Hilty, “9 to 5: The Musical”), who’s determined to leave the chorus line and finally get her big break. A tenacious producer Eileen (Oscar winner, Anjelica Huston, “Prizzi’s Honor”) discovers the “Marilyn” project and jumps on board with a brilliant director (Jack Davenport, “Pirates of the Caribbean” films) — whose talent is matched by his cunning and egocentric amorality. The series stemmed from an idea of executive producer and multiple Emmy and Oscar winner Steven Spielberg (“ER,” “Schindler’s List”). The pilot was written by acclaimed playwright/screenwriter Theresa Rebeck (“Mauritius,” “NYPD Blue”). Craig Zadan and Neil Meron (Oscar-winning “Chicago,” “Hairspray”) and Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey (“United States Of Tara,” “The Borgias”) will also serve as executive producers. Original songs are written by Tony and Grammy Award winners Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (“Hairspray,” “Catch Me If You Can”), who also serve as executive producers. “Smash” is a production of Universal Media Studios in association with DreamWorks. The pilot was directed by Tony Award winner Michael Mayer (“Spring Awakening,” “American Idiot”).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭pooch90

Thanks for the clariffication Richard, if it was Glee-esque I'd avoid like the plague but Studio 60-esque is a good in my book.
    Will try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

God I despise Debra Messing. Which is a pity, this looked promising!

Anjelica Huston also in the show

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00040551.html

^ Preview and clip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

is this a mini series or an actually season?

• Advertisement

^ series, it's mid-season so i'd say 13 episode order, but its on at 10pm....so it's definately adult orientated, if it's a hit they say they'll put on a new musical each season.

Ah! bugger!!....seems Smash is following the Glee trajectory: http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/columbia-records-teams-with-nbc-for-smash-music-albums-inks-solo-recording-deal-with-co-star-kathatine-mcphee/

Following in the footsteps of Fox's Glee, NBC has signed a deal with Columbia Records for the soundtrack of the network's new musical drama series Smash.

Broadway actor Will Chase has joined NBC’s upcoming Broadway-themed drama Smash as a recurring. On the show, which chronicles the mounting of a Broadway musical and stars Debra Messing as the musical’s lyricist, he will play Steven, who has a history with Messing’s character. Chase, repped by Gersh and AC Management, has appeared in such Broadway productions as Billy Elliot, High Fidelity and Rent. On TV, he recurred on Rescue Me.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/tv-castings-will-chase-jons-smash-raul-esparza-boards-gifted-man-judy-greer-to-2-12-men-fearnets-hollistor-adds-2/

tumblr_lv0rv7rNFy1qanvk5o1_r1_500.png

This might be the show that fixes what went wrong with Glee:

Off screen hook up for cast already :eek: Debra Messing and Will Chase

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

720p with DD5.1 web rip now available the files is around 1.2gb.

I shall wait.

• Advertisement

Seems ace quality to me, i shall spoiler tag review forthwith.

I did see the pilot, it was good....but, i din't get the "happy buzz" i was expecting, lets make one thing clear THIS IS NOT GLEE, it's an adult drama at it's core, yes it has music and performances, but this seems secondary to a show about putting on a Broadway musical.

The standout here is Katherine Mcphee.....my christ she is just stunning to look at!, i mean this girl is.........no words, she draws you in, magnetic, i'm not a fan of Megan Hilty but the girl can sing!

Thing is, it wasn't the superb masterpiece people are/were saying it is, sure it's above average but not superb, material wise there isn't alot new here. We've seen this stiff in Fame and sundry other movies, again i won't compare it to Glee.

Honestly it didn't give me enough to be gagging to see more, i might watch one or two eps. to give it a proper chance, but you won't catch me saying i'm a lifetime subscriber.

3/5

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'll rename thread to allow spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Watched it this evening and I loved it. It's like Rachel Barry has left Mckinley High and moved to New York. I especially loved the last 5 minutes. Who doesn't love people breaking into song while walking down the street :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I finally got around to watching this too and I'm a little undecided.

It really comes across as an adaptation of a non existent musical for TV about the making of a musical adaptation.

I liked the musical aspects, not 100% sold on the drama side of things.

:confused:

Any opinions on episode 2?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I was surprised that on who they decided on for Marilyn.
    So am interested to see where they go from here.
    Definitely enjoying it though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Second week in a row....another BIG ratings drop :eek:

Twas a 2.8 last week [down from 3.8] and this week it was just a 2.3! :eek:
    Smash costs a reported 3.5 million an episode!! :eek::eek:
    Highesr cost series on the network, you can't spin this.....very bad news yet again for NBC :eek:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/02/21/tv-ratings-monday-the-voice-down-slightly-but-leads-smash-alcatraz-continue-to-fall-most-cbs-shows-recover-castle-inches-up/120824/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Anyone still watching this? I'm finding it pretty difficult to get excited about. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, it just lacks something. I'm not too keen on Karen, just haven't warmed to her at all. On the flip-side, the musical numbers are quite good. (Although, "Rumour Had It" last night was not great).

I think the reason it hasn't lived up to its name ratings-wise is because it's too much of a niche. It appeals to me because I like musicals and musical theatre and occasionally perform in them myself, but I can understand why others wouldn't go for it.

Advertisement