Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wool shops in Dublin

Options
  • 29-01-2006 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there. Can anyone recommend good woll shops in Dublin city centre?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

http://www.springwools.com/ in Walkinston, Dublin 12, and they have pretty good selection.

Hickey's on Henry street, downstairs has a good range
    Bernina on Parnell Street is a small shop but has a good range.

there may be a few links aswell in the knitters thread below. btw aren't you from Cork ?!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Long story, but I'm going to a wedding on the 11th Feb and I want to make a shawl to go with my dress. I'll be in Dublin tomorrow and might as well use the opportunity to buy wool. Otherwise it will be Saturday before I can go shopping here in Cork, leaving me only 1 week to make something.

Henry Street and Parnell Street sound like good bets. I'll check them out and thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

slightly off topic/ i love the wool shops in Cork. Can't remember the names of any of them, but whenever i'm there i wander around the smaller streets off Patrick Street and there's so many of them.

dudara, let us know what you think of whichever Dublin wool shop you end up in, and what wool you buy for the shawl.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

cuckoo wrote:
    slightly off topic/ i love the wool shops in Cork. Can't remember the names of any of them, but whenever i'm there i wander around the smaller streets off Patrick Street and there's so many of them.

dudara, let us know what you think of whichever Dublin wool shop you end up in, and what wool you buy for the shawl.
    sadly there's really only two wool shops in cork at the mo
    -cork wool store on market parade
    -youghal knitwear on princes st.

used to be one on barrack's st but thats long gone.
    cork craft shop in paul street shopping centre really only does skeins of yarn for carpet makin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Didn't buy any wool in Dublin, as I really only got to go to Hickey's and their selection was poor enough.

The two wool shops in Cork that I go to are great. Youghal Wool on Princes Street and the one in Market Arcade. I'll just wait until saturday now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭lyrama

There's a MASSIVE wool shop just beside O'Connell bridge and The Haypenny bridge along the river, across from Q bar. U should be able to find what you want there:D .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Aye. Cannot remember the name - it's the Northside end of the Ha'penny bridge - very big selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rutamira

Well. I was very shocked when I saw small sellection of wool in Hickey's and in the shop beside the Haypenny's bridge. :mad: :mad: :mad: No different tipes or colors of wool. :mad: :mad: :mad: I didn't buy enything for my jumper. :mad: I'm still looking for other wool shops in Dublin. Very disappointed :mad: :mad: :mad:. Please help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

This is Knit have a shop in the Blackrock Market, and I think they have one open in the Powerscourt Centre now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

There is This is Knit in the Blackrock market and in the Powerscout Centre. Lisa and Jackie own it and are very nice people. The stock a huge range of good quality wools and accessories. They also have a website (www.thisisknit.ie) and you can order online.

Stitch is a new shop that has opened on Beaumount avenue. There is a cafe there too. One of the Stitch and Bitch groups meet up there on a tuesday.

The Yarn Room, at the market in the Peoples Park in Dun Laoighre is good too for hand dyed wool.

• Advertisement

Hye, finaly I found a huge range of wool in Walkinstown, it was fantastic! Thanks Snorlax for advise! :D But I will check the shop in Blackrock too. Thanks guys! :D:D:D

www.springwools.com shop is great! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Theres one on Parnell street opp Aldi, cant remember the name though. It sells knitting machines, sewing patterns and wool.

Thanks Descry, I'll chek it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 LoveLambie

hey all

i got a big bag of well priced wool at the crafts fair at the RDS this year - id advise you to watch out for that again, as it had loads of stalls selling all sorts of materials.

:)

http://Lovelambie.etsy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

This might be useful to people looking for yarn shops.

A google map of every wool shop in Ireland and the north.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=115781947158015303375.00045bb0b2f34e2a5ef3a

Olann Ban: A website with a list of all the shops plus locations and times of various stitch and bitch meetings.

http://olannban.net/

In Dublin city centre I think This Is Knit has a great selection. Hickey's not so much. The Woolen Mills at the Hapenny Bridge was mentioned as well. They don't do much yarn but they do loads of notions like needles and buttons as well as fabric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lacebridge

Hi,

This might be slightly off topic but maybe you can help, does anyone know where I can get some think wool felt in or around Dublin?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

have you tried Hickey's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

lacebridge wrote: »
    Hi,

This might be slightly off topic but maybe you can help, does anyone know where I can get some think wool felt in or around Dublin?

Thanks

They have squares of various coloured felt in the wool/supplies shop across from the ha'penny bridge, can't think of the name but it's a large shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lacebridge

Thanks for the help, yeah I've tried those places, neither really had what i was looking for so just gonna hand make the felt instead. Thanks anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

Try www.theyarnroom.com
    She has a lovely shop in Ashford, Co. Wicklow too.

Definitely has felting materials, as they run felting classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Harris

I'll second that Waternews. I have done some of the knitting and crochet classes there. There are also spinning and felting classes, and all the gear you will need for those yummy hobbies!
    www.theyarnroom.com She is also doing a one day course in Tinahely Courthouse on knitting, crochet, felting or spinning. You just pick one and do an all day workshop. It's all on the website. The one day courses are called "Pick up your needles"
    I would def say pay a visit to the knitting and stitching show (only one more sleep!!) which starts tomorrow (29th Oct till 1st Nov) and it is truly brilliant for stocking up for the year!!!:) Bring loads of dosh and a big bag!!
    Actually Stephanie from the Yarn Room has a stand at it, as do This is Knit from the Powerscourt centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

A new Wool shop just opened up in the Swan Centre Rathmines. Its small but I'm sure they'll get more stock in once they test the waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RosemaryA

The Constant Knitter, based in the Christchurch area, sells mostly Garnstudio and DROPs yarns, but also some Artesano and Manos del Uruguay. Pure new wools, alpacas, kid-silk, linen, loads of sock wool etc etc. These are fantastic quality yarns at prices that are substantially lower than other main brands. Phone 01 454 7597 or 087 996 7197 to see the yarns as visitors are welcome by appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nmccann

have a look at www.thewoolshop.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Colli_Flower86

OK, so it's a few years late, but why has no one mentioned the Woolen Mills? http://www.woollenmills.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

thinking of taking up crocheting, any these shops still around or any new shops have opened in the past while !!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

glossy wrote: »
    thinking of taking up crocheting, any these shops still around or any new shops have opened in the past while !!
    Thanks

Are you looking for 100% wool yarn? You would be best advised to stay away from superwash or machine washable type wools as they are treated so severely they have lost much of their natural elasticity. This site has a list of yarn shops, spinners etc. http://woollyway.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nora.K

Theres a fabulous wool shop in Blanchardstown Village, Dublin 15. They have a large selection of affordable yarn and also more expensive higher quality yarn also. I also love the great bargains and all the accessories! The staff are very friendly and helpful. Would definetely recommend News & Yarn!!! :-) I believe they are also online at wwwDOTnewsandyarnDOTie

• Advertisement
Advertisement