Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disheartened NQT

Options
  • 24-10-2014 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys, just qualified in may as an NQT in secondary teaching. Its been such a daunting road finding work. My subjects are English and history. But I haven't had an ounce of work since then and its nearly November. I'm devastated at this stage as I loved my dip year, loved teaching and I'm going mad trying to get something. Going to send out Cv's after mid term again but people are saying they will just get thrown in the bin anyway. Any advice. Even subbing would be great I'm open to anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Is going to the UK an option?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact (or call in to) all the schools you could feasibly reach within half an hour. Make it clear that should you be needed for subbing, you could be there quicker than others. The first time a school calls will be a foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 raemie24

spurious wrote: »
    Contact (or call in to) all the schools you could feasibly reach within half an hour. Make it clear that should you be needed for subbing, you could be there quicker than others. The first time a school calls will be a foot in the door.

thanks , how do I phrase that? I have my cv and application letter ready, should I attach a side note or is that unprofessional?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

spurious wrote: »
    raemie24 wrote: »
    thanks , how do I phrase that? I have my cv and application letter ready, should I attach a side note or is that unprofessional?

I would highly recommend calling in and speaking to the DP or whoever is in charge of 'the list' from which subs are called. Stress and stress again that you 'only live up the road' and 'could be here in no time'. Nothing unprofessional about a side note.

I have had experience of 'sub' teachers coming in and sitting on spec in the staff room in case classes came up. It's terrible, but the first time you are called and there is a class covered without incident, the sooner you will be called for another class. This can become an extended sick leave and that is the way the door opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

hi, i was in the same situation as you last and i know it's a dark place but remember it really can change at any school you call into. before you call into a school phone them up and ask the secretary who calls the subs. it's usually the dp but sometimes it's the p. get the name (and spelling) and all of a sudden you've a personalised cover letter.

what REALLY helped me last year was i started volunteering in an afterschool program in a disadvantaged area of waterford city where pupils get their dinner and do there homework and get tutored in small groups. i was able to teach leaving and junior cert to small groups in history and geography. i got a glowing reference and it's really rewarding work. the very first day you teach in one of these programs you can put on your cv that your teach both leaving and jr cert. its gold. there are programs like this all over the country.

best of luck with your search and keep the head up, the darkest moment of night is just before dawn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

OP Keep an eye on the adverts in the next few weeks....teachers who are due in Jan, Feb could possibly be going on Mat Leave starting on Dec 1st to avail of their full 6 months off work (we have 2 teachers who will be staring their leave on Dec 1st)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

You could go abroad for a year or two. I'm teaching in Abu Dhabi at the moment, and hope to move on to the Far East after this year. You get experience and money, and with the upturn in the economy, finding a job when ye get back should (fingers crossed) be a bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Hi Einhard,

Can you tell us more about teaching in Abu Dhabi?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

have you considered applying to special needs schools? last year when i wasn't getting any work i applied to one and they gave me plenty of work. now mainstream schools look on this as valuable experiance as it really sharpens your ability to differentiate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Heydeldel wrote: »
    Hi Einhard,

Can you tell us more about teaching in Abu Dhabi?

Thanks.

Jump back up to the T&L thread-feed and look for the 'Teaching Abroad' sub forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

Hi raemie24, I'm in the same boat as you... Came back from Australia this time last year and didn't start subbing until February. Things are just quiet at the moment I think. I was flat out between Feb and April this year, but since the start of the year I've only had 5 weeks... I'm at my wits end but I'm using the days not working to observe senior teachers in the local school, and also to prep for interviews. I'm flat out with interviews but not getting past that stage... which is very disheartening as well. The only advice I can offer you is ask to meet with the DP or P in the schools you're visiting. It seems like common sense, but the office staff are busy with their own work that they don't know you want to meet the person that looks after the substitute teachers. The management may not be available, and at that point it's up to you whether you want to leave your CV at reception, or take it with you and come back at a later stage. Don't feel like you're imposing in asking to meet with management - if they're not available they're not available. It usually only takes a minute or two to put a face to a name. It's the wrong time of year for subbing I think, and now that the sick leave arrangements have changed, teachers are holding onto their sick days with white knuckles! As regards the comments on 'getting your foot in the door', I was gripping that advice with the hopes it actually works... Now I'm not sure! I was 'super sub' in a school, now someone else has taken my spot and I have no idea why. I must have done something wrong, but too much speculation will send me over the edge. Best of luck with the job search, I can't offer you any positive comments but if it's really what we want to do, we'll just have to persevere!

Advertisement