Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Adult Braces Experience

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Irish Heidi

Hi everyone
    I've finally taken the plunge and getting braces (Damon fixed braces, upper and lower) next week. While I'm really happy that I'm finally doing something to address the overspacing, I am slightly nervous about the impact it will have on my speech. I have to give presentations and workshops as part of my job and have basically put anything like that on hold for the next 4-6 weeks. Initially, I was mostly concerned with how I would look and feeling self conscious about having a mouth full of metal in my mid 30s (ortho wont let me get ceramics! :-( ) but as the time comes closer I am thinking of the very real impact this may have on my speech throughout the 18 months or so of the treatment. I don't know of any adults who've had braces so am basing this on what I remember from schoolfriends lisping back in the day. Have many people experienced problems with speech or is that just a temporary thing?

Oh, I have also signed up for my first ever 10k and it's 3 days after I get the braces on. It was an impulsive decision and now I'm wondering if I am crazy to go ahead with it. Although, maybe being dosed up on painkillers might help me through the race...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Hi everyone
    I've finally taken the plunge and getting braces (Damon fixed braces, upper and lower) next week. While I'm really happy that I'm finally doing something to address the overspacing, I am slightly nervous about the impact it will have on my speech. I have to give presentations and workshops as part of my job and have basically put anything like that on hold for the next 4-6 weeks. Initially, I was mostly concerned with how I would look and feeling self conscious about having a mouth full of metal in my mid 30s (ortho wont let me get ceramics! :-( ) but as the time comes closer I am thinking of the very real impact this may have on my speech throughout the 18 months or so of the treatment. I don't know of any adults who've had braces so am basing this on what I remember from schoolfriends lisping back in the day. Have many people experienced problems with speech or is that just a temporary thing?

Oh, I have also signed up for my first ever 10k and it's 3 days after I get the braces on. It was an impulsive decision and now I'm wondering if I am crazy to go ahead with it. Although, maybe being dosed up on painkillers might help me through the race...?!

It didn't affect my speech at all, I have mine on for 3/4 months. I didn't really need pain killers either as its just a dull ache and bit tender when eating. I did take some a couple of times though just cause i don't like pain

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I was about the same age when I got them on and my speech was bit different for a day or two but nothing most people would notice. Your top lip just gets stuck on the top brace from time to time it's just your mouth getting used to the change!

The running will be fine - just make sure your ortho gives you enough wax as the wires may hurt the back of your mouth.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I had been meaning to post this for ages.

Before and after. Sorry for the pic quality

P1rXor0.png

Same here. My speech wasn't affected at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I had a tiny lisp/slur for maybe 12 hours after first getting them on. It just took my mouth some time to get used to working with all the metal in there!

Pain-wise, I think I took painkillers once about 2 months in, the day after getting the bottom wire changed for the first time. Apart from that there was just some pressure after first getting them on and getting the wires changed, as mentioned already, which can make it a bit tender when eating.

You get used to them so quickly, I wouldn't worry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Hi

I've been thinking of getting my teeth re-aligned/fixed for a while now. Should I visit my dentist first for a recommendation or straight to an orthodontist? I've seen a few ads online and on Tv about it and am curious how to go about it. Also what kind of costs could I expect?

I am in a position where I have enough saved to cover it now and I don't have any big obligations work-wise or in personal life in the near future to worry about.

Also I can be a bit conscious about my teeth and would prefer not to have visible braces, is this an option?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

I had been meaning to post this for ages.

Before and after. Sorry for the pic quality

P1rXor0.png

Thats amazing you must be so happy

I am. Best money I've ever spent

I might need to see my orthodontist earlier than planned. One of the brackets at the back is tearing into my cheek! I've been using the wax to ease it but I don't know how long I can keep using it for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

oh the tearing of the cheek is the pits. it usually eases off after a few days, but if the wire is poking then that might need to be snipped.

dcrossed kid, someone said to me when i got mine on not to be conscious what people will see when the see the braces is good for her/him doing something about their bad teeth. so although yes they will notice your teeth, they will more notice that you are being pro active about them which is far better than doing nothing about them.

I am a month in from my first application of power chains and there is a great difference, all the gaps are closing visably, but they still all need to move both over in my mouth and back (i have an overbite) im in that lovely period where there is little pain but nearing the next tightening!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Irish_poster

Hello, I'm 18 years of age and have been considering braces for a while now.. I have read places that the overall cost of the braces will depend on how bad a shape your teeth are in. My teeth are severely crooked and since it would be my parents paying for the treatment, I would honestly rather live with crooked teeth then put them under financial pressure.. I was just wondering if anyone could give a rough estimate of how much my braces could cost overall/monthly? I have not been able to find a concrete answer around and i would rather not go for a consultation yet (if i mention braces to my parents they'll be adamant on me getting them, and i know they probably can't afford it). Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Hello, I'm 18 years of age and have been considering braces for a while now.. I have read places that the overall cost of the braces will depend on how bad a shape your teeth are in. My teeth are severely crooked and since it would be my parents paying for the treatment, I would honestly rather live with crooked teeth then put them under financial pressure.. I was just wondering if anyone could give a rough estimate of how much my braces could cost overall/monthly? I have not been able to find a concrete answer around and i would rather not go for a consultation yet (if i mention braces to my parents they'll be adamant on me getting them, and i know they probably can't afford it). Thanks!!

Varies anywhere between 3-4 grand depending on the severity and if you want them done right.

Place im getting mine done , does different payment options, 200 a month... or 900 every 6 months, that or anytime you go in there you can pay a bit off.

Im nearly done, was ment to be done in June, but I know see why he wanted to wait, they are almost perfect now. Had the last of my wisdom teeth taken out last week, glad to be rid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

23 and decided to bite the bullet (har har) and get braces. got the periodontal bar to hold the back teeth there as I have to get extractions and then the braces put in to move teeth back (overbite) nervous. But I know it'll be worth it :) got used to the bar but I'd say the train tracks will be a different story..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Got my date! I get top and bottom train tracks on November 25th at the grand age of 26.
    Have to go today to get a broken tooth removed, (I got a choice wether to remove or rebuild - I chose remove as they could do with the space) dreading my appointment today though!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭applesock

I was hoping to get mine of before next summer but looks like il be looking at more this time next year. Which will make it nearly 4 years I've had braces, was really upset at first but now trying to thing sure what difference does another year make if I've come this far! My teeth are mostly straight now, but its my bite that needs fixed ! roll on dec 2015 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hello123

Hi there.... Im new to this but getting braces on next week and am 35. I am terrified when they go on I'll regret it. I also need 4 teeth removed, which will be 2 weeks after that. I am losing sleep over whether this is the right decision. spacers are in (and sore)... anyone really nervous as the day draws near?

I'm 30 and have had mine on for 7 months now. At first I was terrified of them but over time they just become a minor inconvenience. It's definitely worth it, I can notice a very big difference already. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

applesock why so long? I know they need to move slowly but four years is a bit mad. have you seen much difference? I just got on my second set of powerchains, good movement going on, next visit im getting elastics, im on the countdown, 8 months to go. sore today, lots of painkillers. (on the upside ive lost pounds from stopping grazing mindlessly, its not worth the bits in the braces!)

Straycat wrote: »
    applesock why so long? I know they need to move slowly but four years is a bit mad. have you seen much difference? I just got on my second set of powerchains, good movement going on, next visit im getting elastics, im on the countdown, 8 months to go. sore today, lots of painkillers. (on the upside ive lost pounds from stopping grazing mindlessly, its not worth the bits in the braces!)

It's my bite it's all messed up. They trying to get it right. Oh my teeth are major straight now tiny caps an the sides from moving etc.but can see a big big difference. But from what I gather my back teeth just don't sit right when I close my mouth. At the moment I have elastics on one side I assume to pull in whichever way they need to.im starting to feel improvement in my bite in the last months so must be working! I'm getting some brackets of on the next visit and realigning some of the top ones. Hope the pain is not to bad now for you. Oh I think braces is abit of a diet at time 😳

• Advertisement

Mine are going on tomorrow and i'm petrified. I wanted to ask a question .. some of you may know ...
    Ive to get 2 teeth out on the bottom due to over crowding - im ok with this as I can see myself there is no other option.

On the top he is telling me I need 2 out as well (premolars). However, I had a molar out years ago and although the gap closed a bit naturally, I would have expected him to just remove that matching molar on the other side. Why would he suggest 2 pre molars out and then 1 molar missing on one side. Wouldnt that be unbalanced?

I can ask tomorrow but be helpful to have a bit of a head start

I'm 36 and got mine 3 weeks ago today. So far, no regrets at all except for not doing this sooner! I'm single and I really thought that braces would impact on my social life, they really haven't. While I was feeling slightly self conscious going out at the weekend, I quickly forgot about them. Getting a snog at the end of my first night out was a bonus :-)
    I don't eat as much junk as I did before (especially at the weekend) and don't tend to graze as much either.

After getting the braces on, I was given a talk about looking after my teeth and shown photos of teeth that hadn't been cared for properly. It scared the life out of me and I was super paranoid for the first few days, probably spending close to 15 mins cleaning and attempting to floss. I wasn't good at flossing before and found it nigh impossible to floss with braces in the first few days. I ended up buying one of those WaterPik water flossers (59.99 in Boots) and it's made life so much easier and my teeth and gums feel great afterwards.

Good luck!

@ Hello123
    I'm 36 and got mine 3 weeks ago today. So far, no regrets at all except for not doing this sooner! I'm single and I really thought that braces would impact on my social life, they really haven't. While I was feeling slightly self conscious going out at the weekend, I quickly forgot about them. Getting a snog at the end of my first night out was a bonus :-)
    I don't eat as much junk as I did before (especially at the weekend) and don't tend to graze as much either.

After getting the braces on, I was given a talk about looking after my teeth and shown photos of teeth that hadn't been cared for properly. It scared the life out of me and I was super paranoid for the first few days, probably spending close to 15 mins cleaning and attempting to floss. I wasn't good at flossing before and found it nigh impossible to floss with braces in the first few days. I ended up buying one of those WaterPik water flossers (59.99 in Boots) and it's made life so much easier and my teeth and gums feel great afterwards.

Good luck!

Got mine on yesterday. I have brackets on all teeth but wire across front 6 teeth
    Main part Im dreading is getting 4 taken out in two weeks time ... then the wire go the whole way around.

Saw those pics of teeth not cleaned properley! I'm achy enough but I guess becasue the wire is only on front teeth, im getting it was bit easier. The bands though on the back teeth are totally cutting into my tongue. I can eat or drink without it getting worse. It seems cos those teeth are pushed in that they are closer to my tongue. Really not enjoying that part OR feeling like I have to tell everyone when I see them today!

BTW was told to avoid Turmeric to avoid staining. Went and got soups cos they should be easy to eat and I notice that turmeric is listed in the ingrediants, even the veggie soup. Anyone know of soups that dont have turmeric?

Don't worry about small amounts of turmeric. If you are that worried just brush after having it

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

applesock wrote: »
    I was hoping to get mine of before next summer but looks like il be looking at more this time next year. Which will make it nearly 4 years I've had braces, was really upset at first but now trying to thing sure what difference does another year make if I've come this far! My teeth are mostly straight now, but its my bite that needs fixed ! roll on dec 2015 :D

Beat you! Rolling onto 5.5yrs now, wonder if I'll make it to the full 6 yr mark, the end is in sight so I've been told!

loopylulu wrote: »
    Beat you! Rolling onto 5.5yrs now, wonder if I'll make it to the full 6 yr mark, the end is in sight so I've been told!

LOL love it :D oh thats brilliant the end is in sight :D

@ Hello123
    . I ended up buying one of those WaterPik water flossers (59.99 in Boots) and it's made life so much easier and my teeth and gums feel great afterwards.

Good luck!

Did your ortho suggest this? It's pricey but if it makes flossing easier then I'll try anything! My teeth a so tight I can barely get floss in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Found this on another forum, pretty cool imo

anigif_enhanced-buzz-26408-1414006314-9.gif

Advertisement