Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Letting agent request for electricity supplier change

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A quick call to the agent will probably resolve the issue. They probably want an active account with the original supplier in their name not yours.
    If that is all they want then let the lazy ***** do it themselves.
    Closing the current account is the cause of the €25 not opening the new account. The op signed a contract with the current supplier and is breaking it. The agent are only asking for the electricity to be in the same form as when they gave it to the op. It seams a reasonable request to me.
    My understanding was that cancelling the supply because the op was moving out was not going to cost anything even though the OP had a contract but to "transfer" the supply to a new company would cost €25 for ending the contract early.

I would tell the agent to feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If that is all they want then let the lazy ***** do it themselves.

My understanding was that cancelling the supply because the op was moving out was not going to cost anything even though the OP had a contract but to "transfer" the supply to a new company would cost €25 for ending the contract early.

I would tell the agent to feck off.

The agent is asking for the account in their preferred supplier. It's exactly how it was given to the tenant. The tenant is breaking his contract with supplier and they will only release the op from the contract for a fee of €25

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The agent is asking for the account in their preferred supplier. It's exactly how it was given to the tenant. The tenant is breaking his contract with supplier and they will only release the op from the contract for a fee of €25

The tenant has been put in the position of breaking their electricity contract BY the agent making what most would seem to view as a rather unreasonable and uninformed request.

Lemming wrote: »
    The tenant has been put in the position of breaking their electricity contract BY the agent making what most would seem to view as a rather unreasonable and uninformed request.

The op is trying to tie the agent into a contract instead of the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

If the OP just closes their account with their current supplier (as should be the case, and would be usually - this request is just weird) then they won't be penalised for breaking contract. That's the case with my dual fuel contract - the T&C are that I stay with the same supplier for the duration of the contract, but change of address won't affect this.
    Changing supplier though would incur an exit fee.

It's straightforwardly objectionable - this is plain as day... but there'll always be someone who'll go against the grain for the sake of it. ;)

OP, just close your account and tell them to get the next tenant to register an account with whatever provider they're so obsessed with the property being supplied by (even though it doesn't make a difference, and it's the tenant that will have to pay for it, not them :confused:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Gordon lad, the OP gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were playing devils advocate but now it looks like you're just being obtuse.

Reverting back to the original electricity supplier is not a normal part of a lease agreement nor was it specified in the contract, therefore he is not obliged to do it.

OP has corrected you on this point already so read carefully; the OP can end his agreement without a fine if the same supplier stays supplying the house for the 12 months. Cancelling the contract does not incur a E25 penalty, changing to another supplier incurs the penalty. Now re-read this last paragraph and feel free to phone a friend/ google any words you didn't understand.

Lets recap what we have learned here today boys and girls:
    1 The EA did not state that the tenancy agreement that the tenancy must end with the same supplier it started with.
    2 Now they have asked him to do it which amounts to them asking him to do it for them as a favour. He could refuse but he has decided to do it as payback for the EA helping him with something in the past.
    3 His contract with supplier B appears to be as follows; If he closed his account with B and left B as the supplier to the house then no penalty will be uncured. He is voluntarily taking the E25 penalty for changing to the original supplier.

It is not a normal request to end a tenancy with the same supplier. If they want tenants to do it, they should put it in the tenancy agreement.

If the OP just closes their account with their current supplier (as should be the case, and would be usually - this request is just weird) then they won't be penalised for breaking contract. That's the case with my dual fuel contract - the T&C are that I stay with the same supplier for the duration of the contract, but change of address won't affect this.
    Changing supplier though would incur an exit fee.

It's straightforwardly objectionable - this is plain as day... but there'll always be someone who'll go against the grain for the sake of it. ;)

OP, just close your account and tell them to get the next tenant to register an account with whatever provider they're so obsessed with the property being supplied by (even though it doesn't make a difference, and it's the tenant that will have to pay for it, not them :confused:).

Then the next tenant is caught with the €25 fee which is not fair. What the op can do is ask the current supplier to supply his new address for the remaining term of the contract. This has nothing to do with the agent and all to do with the op trying to get out of their contract early.

Gordon lad, the OP gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were playing devils advocate but now it looks like you're just being obtuse.

Reverting back to the original electricity supplier is not a normal part of a lease agreement nor was it specified in the contract, therefore he is not obliged to do it.

OP has corrected you on this point already so read carefully; the OP can end his agreement without a fine if the same supplier stays supplying the house for the 12 months. Cancelling the contract does not incur a E25 penalty, changing to another supplier incurs the penalty. Now re-read this last paragraph and feel free to phone a friend/ google any words you didn't understand.

Lets recap what we have learned here today boys and girls:
    1 The EA did not state that the tenancy agreement that the tenancy must end with the same supplier it started with.
    2 Now they have asked him to do it which amounts to them asking him to do it for them as a favour. He could refuse but he has decided to do it as payback for the EA helping him with something in the past.
    3 His contract with supplier B appears to be as follows; If he closed his account with B and left B as the supplier to the house then no penalty will be uncured. He is voluntarily taking the E25 penalty for changing to the original supplier.

It is not a normal request to end a tenancy with the same supplier. If they want tenants to do it, they should put it in the tenancy agreement.

What the op is doing is asking the agent to take on the rest of his contract. They don't want to. The want it back as was given. The op is being charged for leaving his contract early without anyone to take on the rest of the contract. I'm genuinely shocked that you can't see it's nothing to do with the agent. This is between the op and the supplier https://www.airtricity.com/assets/Terms/ROIDOMDSOG141YCONV2ROIOptionsGreaterGasDiscount-old.pdf all the agent is doing is making sure the op pays all his liabilities due on the property.

Then the next tenant is caught with the €25 fee which is not fair. What the op can do is ask the current supplier to supply his new address for the remaining term of the contract. This has nothing to do with the agent and all to do with the op trying to get out of their contract early.
    Maybe I'm picking up things wrong.
    My understanding is: if the OP changes supplier (completely pointless thing to do towards the end of a tenancy :confused:) they'll be charged an exit fee by the supplier they leave for breaching T&C.
    If they just close their account with their current supplier when they're moving out (as is the normal thing to do) there'll be no exit fee because no T&C were breached, and then the letting agent can get the new tenant to create an account with whatever supplier the letting agent wants them to be with and... no fee for anyone.

Or do I have it wrong?

My understanding is: if the OP changes supplier (completely pointless thing to do towards the end of a tenancy :confused:) they'll be charged an exit fee by the supplier they leave for breaching T&C.
    If they just close their account with their current supplier when they're moving out (as is the normal thing to do) there'll be no exit fee because no T&C were breached, and then the letting agent can get the new tenant to create an account with whatever supplier the letting agent wants them to be with and... no fee for anyone.

Or do I have it wrong?

Yes you have it wrong. The new tenant will have to take the remaining term of the op contract to avoid the charge. The current supplier will charge the termination charge to transfer the account to another supplier. The reason they won't be charged to close the account is that they still have the supply of the property. The agent does not want to be tied to the contract or to have the new tenant tied to a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 dave da rave

Or do I have it wrong?

I was done but no Gordongekko you have it wrong, Shakespeare is completely correct.

2 options:

A) close account, no charge to me, no charge to new tenant. New tenant can choose any supplier they like. no charges incurred to anyone.

B) transfer account as per agents request. €25 charge to me (my current supplier's charge for breaking T&C's). New tenant will have to sign up/take over the account and thus also begin lease with original supplier. No charges to new tenant here either, though they are now with an expensive supplier.

The normal thing to do is close the account. There is no charge for this as long as you are genuinely leaving the property. There is no re-connection fee etc. It's very simple process and everyone is happy. The only niggle is a five min phone call with a supplier on the LL/agent's end if someone does not move in after 2-3 weeks. If no one opens an account with a supplier the electricity may be disconnected and then the re-connection fee will apply: €170.

Due to the aforementioned "niggle" the only reason I believe I was asked to change back is because the property has some agreement with the original supplier: if someone does not move in within 2-3 weeks, they will attempt to contact landlord/agent as before but in this case if no action is taken, the electricity WILL NOT be disconnected and will AUTOMATICALLY revert to the LL's name. Thus it is convenient for the LL.

So in summary in either worse case scenario (no one moves in) the land lord will have to assume responsibility for an electricity supply to the house. The only difference is that one happens automatically, the other requires a 5 min phone conversation.

Most here are correct, I am facilitating a convenience for the landlord at a cost of €25 to me. I don't believe I am obliged to do so (nothing in my lease), but as said I think they have been good in other ways and I want the final inspection to go smoothly.

OP you sound like a reasonable guy but it's time to accept that Gordon knows more about your situation than you do.

OP you sound like a reasonable guy but it's time to accept that Gordon knows more about your situation than you do.

:) yes I am about to scream.....

I am capable of ignoring the "bull" replies, I am only replying in case someone else was in my situation, don't want them getting the wrong info. Gordon do me a favor call up some suppliers and outline the situation with them. Ask from all angles yours/landlord/future tenant. write it down and then post something constructive and correct.

EL-Dud, one minor correction to your previous post:
    If I close the account I don't get charged, but the new tenant does not have to open an account with the same supplier. They can choose anyone they like, no charges for the new person to change. From the new tenants perspective they won't know who was last supplying electricity. Since I legitimately closed the account there are no hidden charges to anyone. It's as if the lights are on but the house is awaiting you to choose the supplier.

Yes you have it wrong. The new tenant will have to take the remaining term of the op contract to avoid the charge. The current supplier will charge the termination charge to transfer the account to another supplier. The reason they won't be charged to close the account is that they still have the supply of the property. The agent does not want to be tied to the contract or to have the new tenant tied to a contract.
    Maybe it depends on the supplier? I wouldn't have thought the new tenant would have to continue the contract though; the previous tenant's account has nothing to do with them. It's the case with my supplier (as I've checked similar stuff myself) that the new tenant will just have to create their own account and will be billed from that point, they're not liable for anything prior to that.

With my supplier, if you sign up to a discounts plan, you're in contract - and liable for an exit fee if you change supplier during the contract. If you just close your account though, due to moving out, you're not liable for a fee, because closing your account/moving out is not the same as changing supplier. And that's it. The account is closed and... no more. There's no contract left for someone to take over - the contract is void. And nobody gets charged any fee.

Maybe it depends on the supplier? I wouldn't have thought the new tenant would have to continue the contract though; the previous tenant's account has nothing to do with them. It's the case with my supplier (as I've checked similar stuff myself) that the new tenant will just have to create their own account and will be billed from that point, they're not liable for anything prior to that.

With my supplier, if you sign up to a discounts plan, you're in contract - and liable for an exit fee if you change supplier during the contract. If you just close your account though, due to moving out, you're not liable for a fee, because closing your account/moving out is not the same as changing supplier. And that's it. The account is closed and... no more. There's no contract left for someone to take over - the contract is void. And nobody gets charged any fee.

exactly, closed is closed. nothing to do with new tenant. in this case my current supplier has offered a 20% discount if they do sign up with them, but they in no way are obliged to.

:) yes I am about to scream....

EL-Dud, one minor correction to your previous post:
    If I close the account I don't get charged, but the new tenant does not have to open an account with the same supplier. They can choose anyone they like, no charges for the new person to change. From the new tenants perspective they won't know who was last supplying electricity. Since I legitimately closed the account there are no hidden charges to anyone. It's as if the lights are on but the house is awaiting you to choose the supplier.

Well then no problem. Close your account then open new account in old supplier in agents name

Well then no problem. Close your account then open new account in old supplier in agents name

almost across the line. I'll nudge you the rest of the way.

1) I already said i would be changin over out of courtousy I am not required to do so.
    2) today I will ring "supplier 2" and say I am moving back to "supplier 1"
    3) they will say no problem and charge me €25 for this action
    4) 7 days later I will move out and call "supplier 1" saying i wish to close my account
    5) they say no problem and I give final meter reading.
    6) I walk away

At no point do I sign up on behalf of the agent, this is illegal and impossible for me to do. I can't even change the account into my partners name, she would have to call up and say she would like to take it over.

so continuing from 6) above. in all situations the house is left with a closed account.

Please read and understand this:
    The landlord wishes the property to be last supplied by "supplier 1" as they have an agreement with them that in the event no one moves in the property will never get disconnected, instead it will automatically revert to the landlords name and they will be on the bill. This automation ensures that the property is not disconnected and €170 fee for re-connection is avoided automatically. The alternative is a 5min conversation by agent/LL saying please do not disconnect property, bill landlord instead.

and also note closing an account and disconnection are seperate things:
    - closing: is me closing my account (electricity is still supplied for 2-3 weeks) notices will be made before disconnection.
    - disconnection is no electricity and a charge of €170 to reconnect at a later date.

Finally to your "Well no problem". The problem is that I do not think it is a reasonable request and if i was not so obliging, could they withhold my monies!?

almost across the line. I'll nudge you the rest of the way.

1) I already said i would be changin over out of courtousy I am not required to do so.
    2) today I will ring "supplier 2" and say I am moving back to "supplier 1"
    3) they will say no problem and charge me €25 for this action
    4) 7 days later I will move out and call "supplier 1" saying i wish to close my account
    5) they say no problem and I give final meter reading.
    6) I walk away

At no point do I sign up on behalf of the agent, this is illegal and impossible for me to do. I can't even change the account into my partners name, she would have to call up and say she would like to take it over.

so continuing from 6) above. in all situations the house is left with a closed account.

Please read and understand this:
    The landlord wishes the property to be last supplied by "supplier 1" as they have an agreement with them that in the event no one moves in the property will never get disconnected, instead it will automatically revert to the landlords name and they will be on the bill. This automation ensures that the property is not disconnected and €170 fee for re-connection is avoided automatically. The alternative is a 5min conversation by agent/LL saying please do not disconnect property, bill landlord instead.

and also note closing an account and disconnection are seperate things:
    - closing: is me closing my account (electricity is still supplied for 2-3 weeks) notices will be made before disconnection.
    - disconnection is no electricity and a charge of €170 to reconnect at a later date.

Finally to your "Well no problem". The problem is that I do not think it is a reasonable request and if i was not so obliging, could they withhold my monies!?

Jesus you are seriously missing the point . You are being charged the money because you are closing the account early without having anyone to take over the remaining part of your contract. If you were outside you contract terms you would not be charged the termination charge. The agent does not wish to take over the balance of your contract so you have to pay the €25 or it will be taken from your deposit. You can't walk away from contracts without paying the break fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

He's being charged €25 for switching supplier not for breaking the contract. Closing the account and moving on yields no charge. They've been explaining this to you for 3 pages now.. :rolleyes:

Jesus you are seriously missing the point . You are being charged the money because you are closing the account early without having anyone to take over the remaining part of your contract. If you were outside you contract terms you would not be charged the termination charge. The agent does not wish to take over the balance of your contract so you have to pay the €25 or it will be taken from your deposit. You can't walk away from contracts without paying the break fee.

Benefit of the doubt has expired Gordon. Definitely being obtuse there buddy. For what it's worth I don't think it's intentional. Bless.

OP it's not a normal request and it's not in the contract so strictly speaking they would have absolutely no right to withhold any portion of your deposit.

If you were leaving the next tenant with an obligation to stay with supplier B or face a penalty (as our old pal keeps insisting is the case) then that would be considered your business and you should clear it up before leaving.

You have checked and stated repeatedly that you would be leaving no such liability for any other party.
    With that said it sounds like the EA is acting unprofessionaly by asking you to sort it and rather than discuss it when you asked for clarification they resent the original request. They might have kicked up a fuss even though they are completely in the wrong so fair play to you for getting on with it.

You could wait until after you get your deposit back and then let them know that you felt it was unprofessional of them and another tenant might have refused.

Granted when you get the deposit back you probably won't care any more

• Advertisement

He's being charged €25 for switching supplier not for breaking the contract. Closing the account and moving on yields no charge. They've been explaining this to you for 3 pages now.. :rolleyes:

He is not being charged for switching supplier. He is being charged for breaching the t&c of his contract by not completing his term. I've been explaining this to you for 3 pages now.. :rolleyes:

He is not being charged for switching supplier. He is being charged for breaching the t&c of his contract by not completing his term. I've been explaining this to you for 3 pages now.. :rolleyes:

Seriously get a grip.

The 25 is for breaking t&c. But I don't have to break t&c. I could just close the account. There is no charge for closing an account. Period. No charge to anyone. No one would have to take over my account.

I have switched as of today. I will close account when I move out. This is the same situation as before. I will close this account. The new tenant can choose any supplier they like. However if no supplier is contacted in 3 weeks time. The land lord will be billed by the supplier 1.

I'm done, you have miskewed all details and made this a stupid argument about 25 euro. Lets imagine the fee was 2500. Then I would say forget it I'm not switching companies and just close account. Again I would not get charged anything nor would anyone else. The landlord would just have to sign up manually. Again no penalties incurred. The discussion was never about the 25 it was querying how reasonable their request was. You missed the point but it has been resolved by everyone else.

This really is my last post :) thanks to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ffactj

I would have thought it is implied that when returning a property to a landlord you return it to them in the same condition they gave it to you.
    That includes utilities being with the same companies that the landlord had them with at the start.

You should really ask the landlord before you switch a utility provider. At that point he can say fine, but you must switch it back at your own cost on moving out. Or he can say fine, and not have any stipulations.

Seriously get a grip.

The 25 is for breaking t&c. But I don't have to break t&c. I could just close the account. There is no charge for closing an account. Period. No charge to anyone. No one would have to take over my account.

I have switched as of today. I will close account when I move out. This is the same situation as before. I will close this account. The new tenant can choose any supplier they like. However if no supplier is contacted in 3 weeks time. The land lord will be billed by the supplier 1.

I'm done, you have miskewed all details and made this a stupid argument about 25 euro. Lets imagine the fee was 2500. Then I would say forget it I'm not switching companies and just close account. Again I would not get charged anything nor would anyone else. The landlord would just have to sign up manually. Again no penalties incurred. The discussion was never about the 25 it was querying how reasonable their request was. You missed the point but it has been resolved by everyone else.

This really is my last post :) thanks to all.

to keep it simple there is no charge to switch supplier out of contract. All contractually obliged terms you signed up to are your responsibility.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- keep it factual- quit sniping at one another, no more personalisation of posts- and no back seat moderating. Two people have earned themselves infractions on this thread- I am not going to be so gentle with the next person who steps over the line.........

to keep it simple there is no charge to switch supplier out of contract.
    Eh... there IS. :confused:
    What's with the incorrect info post after post?
    And a company will pass a contract on to someone else without their consent? Sure they will.

Eh... there IS. :confused:
    What's with the incorrect info post after post?
    And a company will pass a contract on to someone else without their consent? Sure they will.

When the op originally moved for supplier b to supplier a there was no charge as they were out of contract. They charge now is to break to contract signed by the op. It's not a moving charge as suggested by the op. It's a charge for not having someone take on the rest of their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Benefit of the doubt has expired Gordon. Definitely being obtuse there buddy. For what it's worth I don't think it's intentional. Bless.

OP it's not a normal request and it's not in the contract so strictly speaking they would have absolutely no right to withhold any portion of your deposit.

If you were leaving the next tenant with an obligation to stay with supplier B or face a penalty (as our old pal keeps insisting is the case) then that would be considered your business and you should clear it up before leaving.

You have checked and stated repeatedly that you would be leaving no such liability for any other party.
    With that said it sounds like the EA is acting unprofessionaly by asking you to sort it and rather than discuss it when you asked for clarification they resent the original request. They might have kicked up a fuss even though they are completely in the wrong so fair play to you for getting on with it.

You could wait until after you get your deposit back and then let them know that you felt it was unprofessional of them and another tenant might have refused.

Granted when you get the deposit back you probably won't care any more
    When the op originally moved for supplier b to supplier a there was no charge as they were out of contract. They charge now is to break to contract signed by the op no it is not, the op has told you and everyone else has told you there is no charge for breaking the contract. There is a charge for transferring to another supplier during the contracted term. It's not a moving charge as suggested by the op. It's a charge for not having someone take on the rest of their contract.
    It really is very simple for anyone to understand

Ronin247 wrote: »
    It really is very simple for anyone to understand

Sure why let the truth get in the way of some one with incorrect information.

Facts are the op is trying to break the contract. There is a break fee unless someone takes on the remaining part of the contract. The agent does not want to do this. The op is liable for the charge.

The op is contractually obliged under most standard leases to give back the property in the condition it was given to them . So they must return the electricity back to the original supplier unless the agent agrees to leave it the way it is. The charge is owed by the op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Sure why let the truth get in the way of some one with incorrect information.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Facts are the op is trying to break the contractThe op has CATEGORICALLY stated that there is no charge as long as he does not TRANSFER to another supplier. You have an ASSUMPTION that this is not true but no evidence. There is a break fee unless someone takes on the remaining part of the contract. The agent does not want to do this. The op is liable for the charge.

The op is contractually obliged under most standard leasesThe op has CATEGORICALLY stated that this is not the case. You have an ASSUMPTION that this is not true but no evidence to give back the property in the condition it was given to them . So they must return the electricity back to the original supplier unless the agent agrees to leave it the way it is. The charge is owed by the op.

In normal circumstances what you are ASSUMING would be true, but the op has told us CATEGORICALLY that this is not the case here.

" Under most standard leases " ......... this is quite obviously not a standard lease, nobody said it was, you are ASSUMING it is, the op said you are wrong , everyone else has tried to explain where you are wrong . Get over it.

Advertisement