Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Man Up" campaign by SafeIreland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

iptba wrote: »
    (Sept 19 UK article)

Notice comments have been closed. Some feminists are their own worst enemy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ok there is another name to add to the list the next time someone claims that spokespeople from mainstream feminism are not sexist

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+ PR and like I've said before, just another addition to the growing pile of batshít nonsense that explains the why of why I don't self identify as a "Feminist" any longer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

Good to see, though it's in China
    "White Ribbon" Opens to Male Domestic Violence Victims

China's White Ribbon will be the first service to be open to male victims of domestic violence, according to a China Women's News report on September 24.

http://www.womenofchina.cn/womenofchina/html1/news/charity/1409/1208-1.htm

(October 1 article)
    Women Abuse Men, Too—But It’s Often Not Called Abuse

http://goodmenproject.com/ethics-values/women-abuse-men-often-called-abuse-fiff/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

"WE ARE ALL EQUAL!

ALL MEN ARE PIGS!"

- Feminists

(2 minutes 50 seconds)
    Dude Secretly Films His Psycho Girlfriend Abusing Him For Liking Other Girls Pics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

liking that is wrong^^^
    but theres something very right about having it in the open for discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

Just a thought - I have always wondered if the lack of men's shelters is more an act of practicality than lack of need. It's a dreadful generalisation, I know, but it is quite likely that many women leaving a domestically abusive situation have more need of a shelter than a man in similar circumstances. For a start off, the woman is usually accompanied by children and is perhaps more likely to not have a job/adequate finances? That's a question, incidentally, not a statement of fact. It's easier to find a friend's couch to bunk on as an individual rather than a family etc?

To my mind, this thread illustrates perfectly everything wrong with the entire situation - we should never be talking about men perpetrating abuse against women and children or women against men or men against men or women against women - patriarchy versus matriarchy or any other nonsense. Generalisations never apply or make any difference to the individual life experience of a single living person. What drives many people to do such a thing may have nothing to do with what drives a different person to do so. Cruelty and abuse are not gender specific and we need to stop behaving as thought they are because it doesn't bring us one step closer to improving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Just a thought - I have always wondered if the lack of men's shelters is more an act of practicality than lack of need. It's a dreadful generalisation, I know, but it is quite likely that many women leaving a domestically abusive situation have more need of a shelter than a man in similar circumstances. For a start off, the woman is usually accompanied by children and is perhaps more likely to not have a job/adequate finances? That's a question, incidentally, not a statement of fact. It's easier to find a friend's couch to bunk on as an individual rather than a family etc?

Is this true or is this what the media portrays? Who do you think is more likely to get kicked out of a house, man or woman? Who makes better click-bait for the media, a woman with 3 children. Or a homeless man (who come on, was probably asking for it, no smoke without fire, etc)

I'm not stating the above as facts, but there a lot of other areas which have a totally unbalanced and hypocritical portrayal in the media because men simply don't make good victims, so I'm just asking the questions about this topic too. Are we being given a balanced picture?
    To my mind, this thread illustrates perfectly everything wrong with the entire situation - we should never be talking about men perpetrating abuse against women and children or women against men or men against men or women against women - patriarchy versus matriarchy or any other nonsense. Generalisations never apply or make any difference to the individual life experience of a single living person. What drives many people to do such a thing may have nothing to do with what drives a different person to do so. Cruelty and abuse are not gender specific and we need to stop behaving as thought they are because it doesn't bring us one step closer to improving it.

Isn't your last line the entire point this thread is trying to make? Society and the media treat cruelty and abuse as if it is gender specific (ie male perpetrator, female victim) and that is what the posters here are saying should change, ie pointing out blatant incidents of this occuring by the media and our elected representatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

Sorry, put it badly...not enough coffee! The first comment was in reference to several comments intimating that the lack of men's shelters (and their lack of use when they did open) was perhaps related to a lack of domestic abuse towards men. The point I was trying to make is that escaping a domestic abuse situation is very often a leaving quickly and quietly while the other party is otherwise engaged. Very often, if it is a woman, she will have children with her. It's incredibly difficult to find somewhere to stay as a family as there is not enough room for them all and if they aren't working then independent finances are an issue when trying to rent etc. In many cases, when men leave they often do so without their children (for a huge variety of reasons - not a criticism in any way!) and an individual alone will find it a bit easier to find somewhere to stay. I'd imagine it's rare enough that abusers in those situations get 'kicked out'! It was more an alternative idea as to the lack of need for a men's shelter as opposed to any suggestion that they simply don't get abused as much.

The original point of the thread was perfectly correct as are you. I just found it a little sad that it degenerated so fast into a competition over who abuses who the most in a men v women sort of way which doesn't move us on at all.

(Florida story)
    A DRUNK stripper attacked her boyfriend with an axe in a hotel after he ‘gave her the silent treatment’, it has been alleged.
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/drunk-stripper-attacked-boyfriend-with-axe-for-giving-her-the-silent-treatment-30649773.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Very often, if it is a woman, she will have children with her. It's incredibly difficult to find somewhere to stay as a family as there is not enough room for them all and if they aren't working then independent finances are an issue when trying to rent etc.
    Chicken and egg scenario, would the woman leave with her children if there was nowhere to go?

In many cases, when men leave they often do so without their children (for a huge variety of reasons - not a criticism in any way!) and an individual alone will find it a bit easier to find somewhere to stay.
    Another way to consider this is when men finally leave it is long gone the time any sensible person would have gone and the very reason they've stayed so long is fear of losing their children? Could it be that most men would be loathe to leave their children and therefore leaving becomes the very last resort? One reason could well be there's simply nowhere to go for men who have been domestically abused with children, ironically enough this is then cited as "proof" there are not enough men being abused to justify funding for shelters.

(September 26 article)
    Invisible Victims: Men In Abusive Relationships

By Harris O’Malley

Covers straight, gay, bi- and transexuals

http://thoughtcatalog.com/harris-omalley/2014/09/invisible-victims-men-in-abusive-relationships/

Quite detailed and includes practical advice.

(October 17 article)

(has photos for any doubting Thomases)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Seriously?

Not sure if anyone has posted the Glenn Reynolds series of "Teach women not to rape" articles.

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/?s=%22teach+women+not+to+rape%22

Some guy records his wife threatening him with a scissors.

Ignore the audio, it appears to be from a chat room

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Video seems to have been removed, what's the gist of it.

mackg wrote: »
    Video seems to have been removed, what's the gist of it.

Not entirely sure of the reasoning. The guy was on a chat room and had his cam on. The clip starts with his wife/gf shouting aggressively towards him with a scissors in her hand. She them got right up into his face gesturing that she will use the scissors to stab him. He is clearly terrified.

There is no audio from the cam itself but you can here their friends talking via microphones from the chatroom. They were laughing at the start but then realised things were getting serious. I think one tried ringing the police and he wasn't taken serious.

Here's a description somebody elsewhere gave for this article. I couldn't do better so thought I'd quote it:
    Oakland County, Michigan asks woman convicted of murdering her partner to be a motivational speaker and encourage women to avoid abusive men. Can anyone imagine the genders reversed here? Also, Free Press writer all but explicitly states that women are the only victims of DV.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/columnists/rochelle-riley/2014/10/19/rochelle-riley-domestic-violence-wayne-county-detroit-worthy/17511467/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I topped an assualt before, do you know what I got?

A brick to my face which shattered my nasel bone/cartiladge and the lady I tried to help ran off and left me there.

I have helped others out after this, but still was not a nice way to find out you were left after helping someone out.

The severe end of the scale. From 2012.
    Revealed: The 5ft 1in girlfriend who beat her businessman partner so badly he needed cosmetic surgery after two years of horrific abuse

- Michelle Williamson sprayed bleach in Ian McNicholl's eyes

- She put lit cigarettes up his nose and scalded his arm with an iron

- He also suffered attacks involving hammers and metal bars

- Girlfriend was jailed for seven years for GBH

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091650/Ian-McNicholl-beating-The-5ft-1in-girlfriend-beat-businessman-partner-badly-needed-cosmetic-surgery-years-horrific-abuse.html#ixzz3I4ZZEhy7

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭tritium

iptba wrote: »

But we'll be told women are weaker and can't cause as much damage- sure look at poor Kelly Brooke, that monster Jason Statham nearly broke her fist with his jaw the brute

Have to see the sh!t ads for this here on boards now also

YRwHpAb.jpg

At first glance, without actually thinking about it, it just implies that women are on the same level as and equal to children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Have to see the sh!t ads for this here on boards now also

YRwHpAb.jpg

At first glance, without actually thinking about it, it just implies that women are on the same level as and equal to children.

its only an add. get adblocker.

If you were to go by their logic that only men can be bad people then surely that ad should include gay men who are victims.

EDIT: I phrased that wrong but you know what I mean!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

PucaMama wrote: »

You're missing the point.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

You're missing the point.

You're wasting your time... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Its "only" an ad but imagine if that ad said something offensive to any other group. It wouldn't be allowed. I'm very surprised to see boards allowing that to run tbh. I expected better.

• Advertisement

If it said "all women are rapists" or some other outlandish statement would it still be 'just an ad*'?

Advertisement