Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Here's a podcast with Open Mike Eagle talking about the "disappearance" of underground hip-hop. Blockhead shows up at one point too.

http://www.infiniteguest.org/secret-skin/2014/09/the-death-of-underground-hip-hop/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Here's an excellent read on the making of AmeriKKKas Most Wanted.

https://medium.com/cuepoint/ice-cube-check-the-technique-202d2a794008

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Here's an excellent read on the making of AmeriKKKas Most Wanted.

https://medium.com/cuepoint/ice-cube-check-the-technique-202d2a794008

I remember when i was kid, my mam treated me to an album, and it was probably the only time she ever questioned an explicit content sticker, i think it was because she was worried people where watching her buy a kid an explicit album, anyway, i handed her its dark and hell is hot by DMX, and she made me pick something else, so i gave her this album and she bought that instead.

If she only knew.

• Advertisement

I remember when i was kid, my mam treated me to an album, and it was probably the only time she ever questioned an explicit content sticker, i think it was because she was worried people where watching her buy a kid an explicit album, anyway, i handed her its dark and hell is hot by DMX, and she made me pick something else, so i gave her this album and she bought that instead.

If she only knew.

I can't remember where I picked up my copy of Amerikka's, probably Borderline Records.
    But I remember buying Kill At Will.
    Virgin Megastore that used to be on the quays, I must have been 14 or 15. I walked up to the counter, but the guy wouldn't sell it to me because of the Explicit Content sticker. Pr*ck. Back then I was even getting served booze in pubs. But this guy, was enforcing some sort of law that didn't even exist.
    Luckily some other hip hop fan who was older heard my predicament, came over, all this in front of the cashier, took the tape out of my hand, and the cash and announced that he would like to purchase the explicit cassette.

That dude was a hero.

It was only later that I realised that he was a guy who used to live accross the road from me.

I can't remember where I picked up my copy of Amerikka's, probably Borderline Records.
    But I remember buying Kill At Will.
    Virgin Megastore that used to be on the quays, I must have been 14 or 15. I walked up to the counter, but the guy wouldn't sell it to me because of the Explicit Content sticker. Pr*ck. Back then I was even getting served booze in pubs. But this guy, was enforcing some sort of law that didn't even exist.
    Luckily some other hip hop fan who was older heard my predicament, came over, all this in front of the cashier, took the tape out of my hand, and the cash and announced that he would like to purchase the explicit cassette.

That dude was a hero.

It was only later that I realised that he was a guy who used to live accross the road from me.

That happend me a few times as well, buying an album felt like going to an off licence, if kids these days only knew the trouble we went to to listen to hip hop, now everything is at their fingertips.

Also when i first started getting into hip hop, for me it was really hard to find out about hip hop, i eventually found a few magazines and yo mtv raps (mtv uk, a few gems on top of a load of crap), so i would go and buy albums just because of the look of the cover, or just grab something completely random, i picked some quality looking back, Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, The Pharcyde _ Labcabincalifornia, Onyx - bacdafucup, Redman - Whut? thee album, all picked up just by the look of the cover. The internet came along and that was a game changer. Good times though looking back, ment a lot more back then buying an album.

That happend me a few times as well, buying an album felt like going to an off licence, if kids these days only knew the trouble we went to to listen to hip hop, now everything is at their fingertips.

Yep, it was a struggle.
    Go into the city, go to Tower or Easons and pick up HHC or The Source. Read through the reviews and look at what was advertised (before Pen&Pixel ruined that), then go to the 4 or 5 shops. Search through everything for something that got a decent review or advertised, if all else fails, take a gamble on something.
    Luckily it got to a stage where I got a bit known by people in the shops and they would hold stuff for me.

I took a trip to London for a weekend with The Expert back when we were 15 or 16, it was incredible. We were able to buy all the albums we had been looking for in Dublin. One of the prize finds was Grav - Down To Earth which was advertised everywhere but no available to by in Dublin.

Yep, it was a struggle.
    Go into the city, go to Tower or Easons and pick up HHC or The Source. Read through the reviews and look at what was advertised (before Pen&Pixel ruined that), then go to the 4 or 5 shops. Search through everything for something that got a decent review or advertised, if all else fails, take a gamble on something.
    Luckily it got to a stage where I got a bit known by people in the shops and they would hold stuff for me.

Sounds so similar.

I took a trip to London for a weekend with The Expert back when we were 15 or 16, it was incredible. We were able to buy all the albums we had been looking for in Dublin. One of the prize finds was Grav - Down To Earth which was advertised everywhere but no available to by in Dublin.

Class man! I remember finding out about the boot camp clik through that wu chronicles album, nowadays its hard getting their albums here, so were non existent here back then, was in Paris on a trip and went into a music shop and found their back catalogue, was a very happy boy.

Good times man. I wish i collected vinyl, id imagine the thrill nowadays is still similar.

• Advertisement

Somebody finally found the illusive sample for Survival Of The Fittest

Havoc went in differently with the production on that album!

I think I might be looking forward to this more than Run The Jewels 2 :o

That audition video is great. There is a load of producers that are getting involved now as well so it should be interesting to see what comes of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Jack Nicklaus - golf thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

RA The Rugged Man recently had a competition for people to send in their best verse over one of his beats. The eventual winner was 17 year old AFRO. RA seems to be really taken by this guy, he's flew him out and has been letting him meet a bunch of people. Dude is really in to his old school hip hop and knows all the greats.

His reaction when RA surprises him with a meeting with DJ Premier is priceless, he must think he's in dream land!

Seems like a real nice kid and can spit too!

RA has brought him to meet all the legends in NY. Unreal story, he's even been on the Queen Latifah show which is pretty big daytime TV in the US.

But, what bothers me, nothing about AFRO, why hasn't RA used these resources he has over the years for himself.

Was thinking that myself. Has RA even done anything with Premo? Can't think off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I enjoyed this:

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Was thinking that myself. Has RA even done anything with Premo? Can't think off the top of my head.

Not that I know of.

AFRO has just been added to RA's European Tour, so he'll be playing here soon.

Thats awesome. The guy must be buzzing. Pity I've no days off left until Christmas or I'd be going down to it.

• Advertisement

So someone tried to take out Freddie Gibbs last night in New York after a show. Gibbs is grand, but a couple of his entourage have got injuries.
    I'd expect a hit squad from Gary is on it's way to NY :pac:

30 minute film from Tyler made during the recording of his last album

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

ofcourse with the exception of lamar, pretty much sums up the demise of aftermath and the current weak roster at present. I personally think dre beats had a huge role to play in it, dre put the music on the backburner.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.31406/title.dr-dre-lost-enthusiasm-for-aftermath-artists-according-to-hittman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Brendão wrote: »

Indeed, i just popped in here to post it after seeing, boy got skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

Action Bronson is a true character, check him out throwing 42" TVs into the crowd last night:

https://vine.co/v/OrTZ7rrhYB9

Someone from the concert said he threw out two 42" TVs, an Xbox One Call of Duty pack, a PS4 Destiny pack, two 16gb IPad minis and a bag full of weed in dime bags. Legend.

Action Bronson is a true character, check him out throwing 42" TVs into the crowd last night:

https://vine.co/v/OrTZ7rrhYB9

Someone from the concert said he threw out two 42" TVs, an Xbox One Call of Duty pack, a PS4 Destiny pack, two 16gb IPad minis and a bag full of weed in dime bags. Legend.

Thesis (rapper from LA and part time poster on this forum) who was there said it was the best show he's been at.

Great podcast by Open Mike Eagle with P.O.S, talks about how P.O.S started out, how Doomtree came about, how he got his break. Really good listen.

http://www.infiniteguest.org/secret-skin/2014/12/p-o-s-on-parenting-doomtree-kidneys/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Ever wonder what it would be like if Earl Sweatshirt interviewed Mike Tyson? Well you don't have to wonder any more!

http://mag.citizensofhumanity.com/mike-tyson-interviewed-earl-sweatshirt/

Mike_Tyson_Portraits_260803_Look_1_50131.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

How have I not heard this until now??! Picked up the greatest hits on 7digital.
    Great stuff.

Also missed out on a lot of Dj quik..class stuff too

Advertisement