Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Type 1 diabetes question

Options
  • 19-10-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi im new to the whole threads/boards.ie, im crap at computers. Right so im a nurse 26 and diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus about six months ago. Its all good im but the only problem is I went in today to get more test strips , and the pharmacy woman essentially told me you get two boxes in the month and no more. All along they had no problem giving me more boxes when i needed them. i assumed this was a first warning or something and she had put some in the bag with the needles but when i went home i realised she hadnt, if i hadnt put some strips away for a rainy day/emergency id be screwed today. The beauty also asked for my number which i gave her, checked that i gave her the right number apparently because im so bad at counting, and said she would call the pharmacist and then call me back, that was at ten o clock this morning, still waiting there love. My question is this, does my long term illness book cover as many strips in d month as i need or has the rules changed. I get hypos regularly so i go through 7- 10 strips a day. Sorry for the spiel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭suds1984

How many strips are on your prescription to be dispensed? To be honest if you were going through more than 150-200 strips/month for a type 1, you should the volume specified on your prescription to avoid any issues like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kikisnow

On the long term illness form the gp just wrote testing strips, no volume .blood sugars for t1dm should be checked regularly, the diabetic nurse gave me a booklet to fill in to track my sugars. You check it before each meal, two hours after and before bed. Thats seven times a day, you must also check if you take exercise or have hypos. Am I the only one doing this or is there something im missing something?

On the long term illness form the gp just wrote testing strips, no volume .blood sugars for t1dm should be checked regularly, the diabetic nurse gave me a booklet to fill in to track my sugars. You check it before each meal, two hours after and before bed. Thats seven times a day, you must also check if you take exercise or have hypos. Am I the only one doing this or is there something im missing ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have never come across this, and have been diabetic for almost 20 years. You are entitled to however many test strips as you need. I go in and get mine in bulk, 6 boxes at a time, I also test very frequently which could be 8+ times a day, so 2 boxes a month would leave me far short. This is nonsense.

Can you contact your consultant for advice on this, I suspect this is a misguided pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

kikisnow wrote: »
    On the long term illness form the gp just wrote testing strips, no volume .blood sugars for t1dm should be checked regularly, the diabetic nurse gave me a booklet to fill in to track my sugars. You check it before each meal, two hours after and before bed. Thats seven times a day, you must also check if you take exercise or have hypos. Am I the only one doing this or is there something im missing ?

We use 7 a day as well (on a normal day) so a box of 50 normally does about a week (barring some post-hypo rechecks or the occasional c0ck up when taking a reading).

For one person, then, between 200 and 250 glucose test strips a month would seem a reasonable amount to require. Two boxes (assuming 50/box) would be far too few. From what I've read on some diabetes FB pages, some pharmacists can get a bit ar5ey when filling scripts; either ask to speak to their boss or change pharmacies (if this is an option).

Anything in excess of that usage on a sustained basis, however, and I'd think the pharmacist would be within their rights to query it. I've heard of people taking the proverbial when getting strips and that the excess ones get sold off on the side to people who use them but don't qualify for the LTI scheme.

In your case, OP, I think your pharmacist needs some gentle education on how many strips are required for good diabetes management.

• Advertisement

thank you both for your responses , i was in the horrors thinking i would have to only check like three times a day and "free wheel " it the rest of the time, even on my best days and checking 7 plus times im hypoing regularly. Thankfully my town is full of pharmacys so il just go to another one. Again Thanks alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Indeed, you can ask for an extra box or two and these should be given if needed. Speak to someone else in there because that person you are dealing with doesn't seem to have a clue.

Also, keep a few bottles of 'lucozade original' handy in the fridge just incase you ever go on a low, as this is handy to have, and a family member or friend can get you to drink it to bring you around if your low is not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

Hi im new to the whole threads/boards.ie, im crap at computers. Right so im a nurse 26 and diagnosed with type 1 diabetes mellitus about six months ago. Its all good im but the only problem is I went in today to get more test strips , and the pharmacy woman essentially told me you get two boxes in the month and no more. All along they had no problem giving me more boxes when i needed them. i assumed this was a first warning or something and she had put some in the bag with the needles but when i went home i realised she hadnt, if i hadnt put some strips away for a rainy day/emergency id be screwed today. The beauty also asked for my number which i gave her, checked that i gave her the right number apparently because im so bad at counting, and said she would call the pharmacist and then call me back, that was at ten o clock this morning, still waiting there love. My question is this, does my long term illness book cover as many strips in d month as i need or has the rules changed. I get hypos regularly so i go through 7- 10 strips a day. Sorry for the spiel

Hi kikisnow,

I've had Type 1 for 22 years (nearly) and I've never been questioned about how many strips I get. I test approximately 7-8 times per day too. I would challenge this person's right to say what you are allowed too, as another poster has suggested and threaten to take you business elsewhere. You may not be paying for your supplies but the HSE is paying the pharmacist.

Tips for hypos; the dextrose or lucozade tablets can be a bit handier for handbags or purses:-)
    Hope you're doing well otherwise?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you get hypos regularly you should look into the cause for this. A wild guess would be too much Basal insulin if that's the regime you are on currently. The concern being that you will become hypo unaware having too many lows; which is a tricky situation. Hopefully you got sorted anyway!

graflynn wrote: »

Tips for hypos; the dextrose or lucozade tablets can be a bit handier for handbags or

Thanks again, sorry should have specified, male nurse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Thanks again, sorry should have specified, male nurse.

Nonetheless a pack of the dextros/lucazade tablets are a fair bit handier to lug around than a bottle of lucozade (says the chap who always has a bottle somewhere in his backpack!).

Your pharmacist is acting the idiot about the test strips though, my advice on that front would be to either speak to his boss or simply take your business elsewhere.

Advertisement