Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orientation of ancient houses in Ireland

• 01-09-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi all. Its been a long time. I hope you are all happy and healthy.

I have a question. Is there any prevailing pattern in the orientation of house entrances in Britain and Ireland in Neolithic and later Bronze age times? Can it be said that the prevailing entrance orientation is east? Any information and pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Hi all. Its been a long time. I hope you are all happy and healthy.

I have a question. Is there any prevailing pattern in the orientation of house entrances in Britain and Ireland in Neolithic and later Bronze age times? Can it be said that the prevailing entrance orientation is east? Any information and pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully somebody else will be along with a more helpful answer (I don't remember anything in particular about Neolithic houses and orientation but that doesn't means there isn;t :o )

But you could do a bit of research yourself using excavations.ie, you can do key word searches which will allow you to narrow it down to house sites and orientation should hopefully be on the preliminary reports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

For obvious reasons, only around eighty Irish neolithic houses are sufficiently well preserved to allow identification of the entrance location. In those instances where the entrance has been determined, there does not seem to be a consistent orientation to the east, or to any other aspect.

Advertisement