Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debra Ireland Wicklow Mountains Half Marathon 11/03/2012

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pheidippides

I am a novice at this mountain/hill running thing....Does anyone know how easy it would be to follow this 1/2mara course or would you need to do some practise on the course. Would you need special reccie type preparation or be prepared with compass etc? Also will there be water available on the course?

Appreciate if anyone can help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

I am a novice at this mountain/hill running thing....Does anyone know how easy it would be to follow this 1/2mara course or would you need to do some practise on the course. Would you need special reccie type preparation or be prepared with compass etc? Also will there be water available on the course?

Appreciate if anyone can help!

Its really straightforward so theres no need for compass or recceing the course. As far as I remember there were 2 water stations last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Yep, its all clearly marked and if memory serves there were 2 water stops. If you can practice doing some runs offroad and on hilly terrain you'll be better prepared come the day.

thanks for replies folks, I entered and then had visions of me running around mountains in cirlces getting thirsty!
    So this is a bit of a relief ....

thanks for replies folks, I entered and then had visions of me running around mountains in cirlces getting thirsty!
    So this is a bit of a relief ....
    Just take it handy and you'll have a great day in the hills. The run down towards Glendalough is beautiful.

• Advertisement

Less than 20 spots left I believe before its full up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

I just signed up. Must be one of the last in.

I think it will be good practice for the Wicklow Way trail a couple of weeks later and the "don't mention the ---" multisport race in mid April. :D

2 days to go. Looking forward to it. I ran a decent time 2 years back. Its difficult to compare events like this year on year as the weather and underfoot conditions can be dramatically different. I'd be happy to be anywhere near my 2 years ago time. Anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Best of luck Slogger Jogger and to anyone else that's running. It looks like you're going to get a perfect day for it. I'll be down there to support the missus and some friends but unfortunately I've had to pull out myself due to injury. I'm pretty gutted about it as this had been my goal race throughout the winter. We did a recce a few weeks ago and it really is a fantastic route with a bit of everything in terms of terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 andrewg1981

Hi just registered to use this as I have one quick query so I hope I am in the right place and doing this right. Packed all my stuff last night and I have just realised now that I left my trail runners at home. Luckily I have my normal running shoes with me for today so will these be okay for tomorrow or should i pop out and buy a cheap pair of trail runners just for tomorrow. Thanks a million for any assistance ya can give me.

• Advertisement

@Andrewg. A race isn't the time to be trying new runners. While not ideal you are better off sticking to your road runners. They'll be fine for the trail bits but not so god for the boggy bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 andrewg1981

@Andrewg. A race isn't the time to be trying new runners. While not ideal you are better off sticking to your road runners. They'll be fine for the trail bits but not so god for the boggy bits.

cheers slogger jogger yeah exactly. My won stupidity but Il just stick to the road runners. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Beautiful day for it today. I hadn't done much training for the half marathon and really should have! Really tough course, lots of hills and even the downhill stuff was rough so you couldn't pick up any time on it.

Course was well marked with decent water stations.

Very tough but loved it. Great cause too.

Minor gripes aside (bus driver didn't know where the start was and it started late by about 1/4 hour) this was a great event. I believe the lead 2 runners did go astray so they must have taken their eye off the markings which I thought were top notch. Its a pity as Aengus Burke was running well at the front.

Perfect conditions today for it. Route was drier that I remember it. I found it tougher though than 2 years ago and struggled on the flatter roads (believe it or not). Finished in 1:41ish so happy with the time but there is room for improvement there.

A Ferns Sliabhe Buithe 1 and 3 I believe. David Leonard and Bernard Fortune. Not sure who was 2nd?
    Ema Donlon was 1st lady home.

If you like your hill running you'd like this event.

This was my first mountain race and I achieved my main goal of finishing with my ankles unscathed! I have to admire the true mountain runners that were able to fly downhill on the rough ground. I was able to catch a few of them again when the ground was more "road like". Got in under 2 hours and was happy with that as I didn't have a clue what to expect. Overall for those who want to try something different this was a great event and well organised. Fairly easy to follow the course (although not as easy if you were leading)! My DS trainers have never seen muck like that before!

DS Trainers ! lol. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jcunniffe

Results are at redtagtiming.com

John

I actually bought some Solomans 2 weeks ago and wore them for 8 miles and was getting blisters so lesson learned should have invested a few weeks earlier and gotten used to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Great event, top marks to the organisers. A tough route for me anyway but it was easy to follow; very well marked from start to finish. Given the warm day, there was plenty of much-needed water on hand. Debra are a great charity, hope today was successful for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

A Ferns Sliabhe Buithe 1 and 3 I believe. David Leonard and Bernard Fortune. Not sure who was 2nd?

2nd place was me. First trail/mountain event, so very pleased with that. Tough course, especially the downhill terrain and that uphill section at miles 10 -11! Very well organised, even with a long wait at registration and a rush to the bus! I might have to invest in a pair of trail runners now - it seemed that the downhill rocky sections were where they are needed most, and maybe less prone to waterlogging too.

• Advertisement

Fair play Dave. If you liked that today you should look up some of the IMRA events. The Wicklow way trail in 2 weeks time is a more traily version of today but slightly longer at 25k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dencom

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

It was tougher than I expected, given the heavy going and technical downhill bits.

It was a class event in every respect.

Roll on the Wicklow Way Trail.

Dencom wrote: »

Eh.. you linked to last year's thread...;)

Advertisement