Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debra Ireland Wicklow Mountains Half Marathon 11/03/2012

• 06-12-2011 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭

gps of route (from 2010 event): here

This race is a charitable concern. It is organised by Debra Ireland, website here: http://www.debraireland.org/

Debra Ireland's mission is to fund the development of treatments and cures for all forms of Epidermolysis Bullosa, and meanwhile to do all in its power to alleviate the suffering caused by EB. Please click onto this short but inspiring clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td95Zxizpus

Registration cost: €20, and all participants must fundraise minimum €50 for DEBRA Ireland (so effective cost is €70). Organisers are hopeful participants raise as much funds as possible as every euro helps the cause directly. Included in registration: Bus Transfer to race start, All usual Race Support along the route, Post race Tea and Coffee.

An option for a 10k route on the day will be announced in due course.

Thread from last year: here

My role is one of helping Debra Ireland out for this event. I myself have registered to take part. Its a great event so if you can't take part you might support someone else who can. If you've any questions please post them here or send me a PM. Thanks.

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 8 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0% 0 votes
    4 stars (good)
    87% 7 votes
    3 stars (average)
    12% 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    0% 0 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi SJ
    Sounds interesting, is the route marked? or is it easy to follow?
    My navigation skills are rubbish :D

I like the sounds of this and it suits timewise, just have to get the OK now as I had been thinking the Meath half but would prefer this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just registered for this now, hopefully use it to show the boss how I'm fixed for Wicklow way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 fishboy1974

Did this last year, nice track and was well marked and marshalled. Good buzz both before and afterwards so reckon i'll be back. Tough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Ran this last year and got lost,my own fault to be honest.
    Nice tough hills but surface is excellent and a race not to be missed.
    Great to support debra Ireland,the speech before the race brought a tear to everyones eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great to have you Woddle. The more the merrier. Its a pretty special route. Marking was spot on, and they'll have distance markers out every 5k I believe too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭griffin100

Do I need trail runners to do this?

3 weeks out from Conn, might be a nice way to start the taper!

griffin100 wrote: »
    Do I need trail runners to do this?

3 weeks out from Conn, might be a nice way to start the taper!

Ideally yes. Between 17 and 18k of this will be offroad and some of it is liable to be wet and mucky so trail runners are needed, or you'll be slipping and sliding some. I wore inov-8s the last time out and they worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey,

Thanks for the reminder, this is a great run, I've done it the last 2 years, some amazing scenery, especially as you come down into Glendalough!

It's great to have in the calendar for March, keeps the focus on the new years resolutions!

Very well run event for a great cause, would recommend this to all.

Cheers,
    Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Myself and the missus have signed up for this and we've persuaded a few friends to get involved too. Really looking forward to it. Looks like a stunning, if challenging, course. Also a really great cause.

Sandwell wrote: »
    Myself and the missus have signed up for this and we've persuaded a few friends to get involved too. Really looking forward to it. Looks like a stunning, if challenging, course. Also a really great cause.

Cool! Spread the word. I must start getting the miles in the hills in in preparation.

• Advertisement

Did up a schedule for this last night. A nice 10 week program from this week. A nice target if you fancied a Quarter 1 objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Did up a schedule for this last night. A nice 10 week program from this week. A nice target if you fancied a Quarter 1 objective.

Can you share the plan? I assume that there is a bit of Hill Running involved in the Training - had planned on doing a road HM around this time but this could be interesting

Can you share the plan? I assume that there is a bit of Hill Running involved in the Training - had planned on doing a road HM around this time but this could be interesting

Its fairly rough, but it'll do the job for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Thanks for that. I've never done much mountain running....is this half marathon too big of an introduction to mountain running? I usually run on the road or grass....I completed the London and Dublin marathons last year and have a good base built over the last 4 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

If you have a couple of marathon's under your belt you will have no problem.one tough climb on the course.Just like any race,if you pace yourself you will no problem.

When you get onto the road running sections on this race it feels so easy compared to the hills :P

Registrations are going steady on this I'm told. 9 weeks to the race. 1 week of training in my legs, incl. a rather torturous half marathon distance with hills session yesterday which included a kilometer with 10% gradient. Still, it should get easier as the weeks go on ;)

A 10k option has opened for registration. It starts at the Wicklow gap with a mainly downhill run to finish at the Brockagh centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Signed up for this, and looking forward to it. Last tough run before the taper for Conn.

Just bumping this up again to remind donothoponpop people about a great event in the hills of Wicklow. Its not cheap but its not a commercial venture either. All for a very worthy cause. I'm enjoying the focus this is giving me and counting down the weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Just bumping this up again to remind donothoponpop people about a great event in the hills of Wicklow. Its not cheap but its not a commercial venture either. All for a very worthy cause. I'm enjoying the focus this is giving me and counting down the weeks.

Cheers, I'd love to do it, but its €70- no way I can justify that, worthy cause or not. I'll sponsor you a few quid, and recce it with you some day. I can kick your ass during the recce :D

• Advertisement

I'm hoping to recce this course on Sunday week with a couple of friends. None of us have been out that way before. Is there a marked trail back to Glendalough?

Sandwell wrote: »
    I'm hoping to recce this course on Sunday week with a couple of friends. None of us have been out that way before. Is there a marked trail back to Glendalough?

It's pretty much all St. Kevin's way so there are waymarkers. I'll dig out my gps link from the race 2 years back and if you have a garmin you should be able to upload and follow the route. That, or be good on the map nav.

gps link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27639664

It's pretty much all St. Kevin's way so there are waymarkers. I'll dig out my gps link from the race 2 years back and if you have a garmin you should be able to upload and follow the route. That, or be good on the map nav.

gps link: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/27639664

Thanks for that Slogger Jogger. I'll upload that course to my Garmin although judging by my previous efforts at using my Forerunner to navigate I'll most likely end up using a map.

I'm not a Late Late show man myself but I believe Debra Ireland will be featured on tomorrow's program so I might tune in for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/75172717

Fair play lads, ran this last year but cant this year, really good cause! Hard slog at first til you get over the pass then its super fast all the way down the valley and one killer hill at the end!! Enjoy!

Almost full up I believe, which I think is approaching the 300 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Very tempted to do this, since I dont think i can sort the logisitcs for Kinvara the week before :(

Anyone else is doing this? Lots of if's and maybes in thread here :)

See you there the Vagabond.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

SJ, would there be many places left for this ?
    Looking at entering as a prep for the Wicklow Way Trail, plus any chance to run in this area is worth a look.

• Advertisement

SJ, would there be many places left for this ?
    Looking at entering as a prep for the Wicklow Way Trail, plus any chance to run in this area is worth a look.

Good for you. Nearly full I hear but not totally. Try the Debra Ireland website. If they accept your registration you're in.

Advertisement