Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dromoland Golf Course

• 05-05-2011 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Just wondering has anybody ever played here before and what they thought of it???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Lovely track in great nick at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭gareth12121

have played it a good bit, live down the road from it. Very good course, only negative is the long walk from the first to second tee and the huge net that they have put in to shield houses from wild tee shots on the second hole it totally ruins the hole in my opinon.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 gokster

Dromoland is fine track, really enjoyed it any time I've played it, but...it has been a 5 and half to 6 hour round both times. For soem reason things just grind to a halt, the downhill par 3 (7th or 8th) on both occassions had 4-5 groups on it between group on the green, group walking down (its a call through hole) and three on the tee!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

gokster wrote: »
    Dromoland is fine track, really enjoyed it any time I've played it, but...it has been a 5 and half to 6 hour round both times. QUOTE] :eek::eek:

Played it many times (my folks are members) and have never, ever taken that long to play it - it's a long walk alright so a 3/4 ball will usually take around the 4 hours. But it's not usually that busy as they have a small enough membership and their tourist greeen fees are way down on years gone by.

As said already it is a fine track and in great condition at the moment. I agree 100% that the 2nd has been ruined by the netting and the (permanent) temporary tee-box. My only other complaint would be that they should have lengthened the 12th and 15th holes when they were upgrading the course back in 2002 - 2003. The last 3 holes are one of the toughest finishes on any course in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Fine course especially the first 3 holes and last 3 holes. 16,17,18 are unreal holes altogether but from 4 to 15 the course is handy enough as long as your playing well. Greens are usually very good down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

Was there twice last week. Great deals on midweek and weekends. Midweek €55 with a steak dinner(top notch) and €35 after 2pm on a Sunday. Fantastic course in great nick all year round and well worth a visit. I'd disagree with the previous post about lengthening the 15th. Clipped the flag off the tee there before and sunk the 10-12 footer on the way back for eagle. First time I'd ever played it... Got me completely hooked on golf

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭zztop

Played it once and never again.The place was crawling with walkers,kids and cars so a lot of shots delayed.The wire fence hole is a joke and the
    holes overlooking the motorway just ugly.Just could not relax and enjoy
    like you do on a real course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

zztop wrote: »
    Played it once and never again.The place was crawling with walkers,kids and cars so a lot of shots delayed.The wire fence hole is a joke and the
    holes overlooking the motorway just ugly.Just could not relax and enjoy
    like you do on a real course.

I agree about the motorway... and then there's the hotel, but really it's only from the end of the 4th to the start of the 6th that these interfere.

15 photographs of the course

It's got some great holes and it's a gorgeous setting (apart from the road). Well worth anybody's time. The final three holes are very tough

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Playing there Thursday for the first time. Just wondering what condition is it in at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭cackhanded

Was out there on Wednesday, it's in very good nick considering the weather - bit muddy on some of the walks to tee boxes but nothing major. They hollow cored the greens about 3 weeks ago and they've bedded in now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

it does tend to get pretty wet in winter months
    best played april to oct

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

jod1983 wrote: »
    Playing there Thursday for the first time. Just wondering what condition is it in at the moment?

Whats on on Thursday? You playing it with mygolfsociety.ie by any chance?

Thanks for the replies folks, looking forward to playing.

Ya playing at the society day out, teeing off @ 11.30. Are you playing in it?

Ya playing in it too. Tee time is 11.10. Looking forward to it. hopefully the weather holds up.

Anybody else here going to it??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

jtown wrote: »
    Anybody else here going to it??
    Was supposed to play but cannot get off work :(

Was supposed to play but cannot get off work :(

Pity - timesheet it up. massive crowd playing - 38 teams

How did people get on? What did you think of the course..

We were only small bit off a prize.. Course was wet enough underfoot. Greens a bit bumpy..

We finished on 43, so presume we were caught with the countback.

Found the course good but agree that the greens were a bit bumpy. Great day put on by Mygolfsociety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

havent played it in a while, but what sticks in the memory is the 18th which is probably one of if not THE best 18th in the country in both terms of challenge and setting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

exaisle wrote: »
    havent played it in a while, but what sticks in the memory is the 18th which is probably one of if not THE best 18th in the country in both terms of challenge and setting.
    It really is. The tree just in front of the green makes it so hard to make the green in 2

a great outing by mygolfsociety.ie. We finished with 41 and had a blank on the 1st!!!!

Advertisement