Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How pregnancy happens.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Pregnancy is an altered state which starts when an embryo implants and the woman's body starts to created different hormoans and chemicals to facliate the growth of the embryo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

So is an ectopic pregnancy really pregnancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

An ectopic pregnancy is a complication of pregnancy in which the fertilized ovum is implanted in any tissue other than the uterine wall.

Once there is implantation, regardless of where / whether it goes full term, or miscarraige occurs - it is still a pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ArthurGuinness

This may sound vulgar but there is an english sex ed video on the go. Where they inserted a camera with a light on it into a vagina and also put on the penis shaft and you can see inside the body. They also connected sensors to both the males and female's body so you can see exactly how our body chages and reacts during sex its a wierd but good watch i may find a link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ForTheLoveOf_Fi

funny :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭heavymetalrock

the video was very good, i really learn something, thank you:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mayblue

hahahahahaha that was hilarious.... very well explained though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

If only all penises had buzzers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭blahblahblah.

i thought it was really good

they should really show that in sex-ed classes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I like it, funny and informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Pregnancy (latin graviditas) is the carrying of one or more offspring, known as a fetus or embryo, inside the uterus of a female. In a pregnancy, there can be multiple gestations, as in the case of twins or triplets. Human pregnancy is the most studied of all mammalian pregnancies. Obstetrics is the surgical field that studies and cares for high risk pregnancy. Midwifery is the non-surgical field that cares for pregnancy and pregnant women.

Childbirth usually occurs about 38 weeks after fertilization (conception), i.e., approximately 40 weeks from the last normal menstrual period (LNMP) in humans. The date of delivery is considered normal medically if it falls within two weeks of the calculated date. The calculation of this date involves the assumption of a regular 28-day period. Thus, pregnancy lasts almost nine months.

The exact definition of the English word “pregnancy” is a subject of political controversy, but it is not a matter of substantial controversy in the medical community.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

That was really good. I thought I knew it all about women's fertility and the cycle. Obviously not! Cool video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Jesus that was actually quite interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭da_shivsta

that was funny :) informative, and I don't see why people think it was sexist. It was just a dumb one and a smart one. Like, it just happened that they were one male and one female character. Isn't it stereotypical that the female be blonde and dumb?
    If they were two males, people would say something about gay undertones or something. Lighten up everyone!

And if the female was dumb, complaints about it being sexist would be likely considered perfectly legitimate....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, it's not a man and a woman, it's a penis and a vagina, and I know a fair few men who would call their penis pretty feckin' stupid...

Indeed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And many women would have pretty dopey vaginas too. Both let their crotches get them into trouble. So there we have it, so maybe back to the topic at hand?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

So if the sperm sits around the pool lazing about, having a great time. Ya know going the jacuzzi, working up a tan, sipping cocktails, it must be a pain in the hole to hit the end of a condom lol

My vagina has a guest list, no trainers, smart dress, members only (ha excuse the pun) in all seriousness that was a good video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Good vid, better than the one's in school anyway, where Miriam O Callaghan narrates *shudders*. Take a close look at the presenters, look very closely, look even closlier.....there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MD!

im glad im not the only one who feels like they learned something about sex from a cartoon. wtf is wrong with us? why is the mechanics of pregneancy such a surprise to most adults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Because we do not have a proper comprehensive reproductoin, sex and sexuality and sexual health education program in our schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Blackdrag

why couldnt they show this in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Blackdrag wrote: »
    why couldnt they show this in schools?

Because parents complain....don't think it's not true, my mother is a GP and has offered every year to come to my old secondary school and do a talk on sexual health and family planning as she's seen not only a high number of pregnant teens from the school but an increase in STI's among young people in the area and has been told each year no and the reason given is that some parents would object. She's offered to speak to just 6th year students, most of whom would be 18, has said students of parents who object could sit out but they always say no.

The level of sex education seems to depend on the school you go to. A few years back there was a thread in one of the forums on boards asking about peoples sex education in school and it really is all over the place. There doesn't seem to be one set guideline followed by all schools. Some people got great sex education covering everything from pregnancy to STI's and everything in between, some got the basics, sex=babies, and some got nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Blackdrag

Yes but its got to be worth a look if even most adults on this forum have learnt something new...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I am shocked that anything in this video would be news to anyone over 18/19.

What the hell does that say about our sex ed programmes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

That they are nearly non existent and where they do happen they are pared away to nothing useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Post deleted - please note this is the Personal Issues forum and there is zero tolerance for muppetry here.

If you haven't already done so, please take the time to read the [URL=" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056181484"]forum rules[/URL] in the charter.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,999 ✭✭✭✭looksee

ztoical wrote: »
    Because parents complain....don't think it's not true, my mother is a GP and has offered every year to come to my old secondary school and do a talk on sexual health and family planning as she's seen not only a high number of pregnant teens from the school but an increase in STI's among young people in the area and has been told each year no and the reason given is that some parents would object. She's offered to speak to just 6th year students, most of whom would be 18, has said students of parents who object could sit out but they always say no.

The level of sex education seems to depend on the school you go to. A few years back there was a thread in one of the forums on boards asking about peoples sex education in school and it really is all over the place. There doesn't seem to be one set guideline followed by all schools. Some people got great sex education covering everything from pregnancy to STI's and everything in between, some got the basics, sex=babies, and some got nothing.

Heavens, I was in school in the 60s and by the time I was 16 had had 3 lots of school sex education (puberty, biology classes and actual sex education), plus talks by a local doctor at the church youth club! That was in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 GreenerGrasss

Wow. Every day's a school day.

That was really informative. I'm on the pill and pretty religious about taking it daily. This just makes me even more paranoid about getting pregnant !!

I wonder if there's a cool, illustrative video about how the pill works. Graphic animated teaching is just so much easier to understand !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement