Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I got through thank God, placed just outside the top 2000. I'm surprised how well I did in the Verbal section. Onto Stage 2 now, bring it!!:).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well, in to stage two. Ought to find the competition stiffening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AaronMul1

Well, in to stage two. Ought to find the competition stiffening now.

yeah the competition will be tough but lads, the chances of getting it have increased massively, and will increase again after stage 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Just a quick question , I am through to stage 2 but a friend is also through with only foundation Irish, he is worrying now that he hasnt met requirments, can anyone clarify does he need Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Thecameraman

Lojak wrote: »
    Just a quick question , I am through to stage 2 but a friend is also through with only foundation Irish, he is worrying now that he hasnt met requirments, can anyone clarify does he need Irish?

Unless he has pass in French or german he is wasting his time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Unless he has pass in French or german he is wasting his time

Thats what i was thinking thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

Thats what i was thinking thanks

He is ok to apply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I can't find it now (typical :( ) but I'm sure I read that if you didn't have the LC qualification in Irish that they would set up an assessment or something along the lines of that

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I can't find it now (typical :( ) but I'm sure I read that if you didn't have the LC qualification in Irish that they would set up an assessment or something along the lines of that

Yes in English or Irish, I am nearly 100%. What way they do it is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Gickyk

My interpretation is that you need 2 languages one must be English or Irish - Minimum grade D3 in ordinary English or a minimum grade C3 in foundation Irish, if he has both of these it would equal the two languages needed. That's my understanding of the requirements but I could be wrong !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 carrig4life

And now we wait

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

AaronMul1 wrote: »
    yeah the competition will be tough but lads, the chances of getting it have increased massively, and will increase again after stage 2!

Remarkable similarities between stage one and stage two.
    Stage one must not have weeded out as many as they had hoped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

And now we wait

And now we play the waiting game.......

.....aw im sick of the waiting game

lets play hungry hungry hippo!

yeah, i feel they did increase the difficulty though. And doing another assessment will weed out those having a good day. or ruin it for those who had a bad day on the exam. I am however, confused as to why it will be March, since the practice tests gave the mark straight away.

WilcoOut wrote: »
    And now we play the waiting game.......

.....aw im sick of the waiting game

lets play hungry hungry hippo!

DAMN YOU ROCKEM SOCKEM ROBOTS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Like what?

What on earth makes you think this?

And how do 'similarities' (in how tests are conducted I can only assume is what you mean) mean that they did not cut out as many as they had hoped.

The process of the administration of the tests and numbers to get through at each stage would have been planned out well before they commenced the recruitment process. They're not just taking this process on at an ad hoc basis.

So they would have cut exactly as many as they had 'hoped'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Folks, apologies if it's been done to death, but when is the PCT expected to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Folks, apologies if it's been done to death, but when is the PCT expected to be?

One of the last hurdles

prob May

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

Whats PCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

thestar wrote: »
    Whats PCT?

Physical Competency Test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Anyone have any idea when the next campaign is? Didnt want to apply this time around because im still doing the LC

Anyone have any idea when the next campaign is? Didnt want to apply this time around because im still doing the LC
    Could be a few years, Alan shatter wants to use this campaign to fill positions for the next 2/3 years. Don't hold your breath!

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

Could be a few years, Alan shatter wants to use this campaign to fill positions for the next 2/3 years. Don't hold your breath!

Given the current situation he may not be there much longer

Raider190 wrote: »
    Given the current situation he may not be there much longer
    seeing as the Public Appointments service has around 5000 applicants that passed the qualifying mark i cant see an advertisement (regardless of justice minister) for quite some time, im sure after this campaign it will start moving smoothly again

seeing as the Public Appointments service has around 5000 applicants that passed the qualifying mark i cant see an advertisement (regardless of justice minister) for quite some time, im sure after this campaign it will start moving smoothly again

You just never know . The political landscape changes and the policies change

Raider190 wrote: »
    You just never know . The political landscape changes and the policies change
    whatever you say! :)

whatever you say! :)

Just an opinion could be wrong could be right

• Registered Users Posts: 3 reformus

Hey all,

I did the LCA years back, i am dyslexic, but I was never tested. I was well behaved and would of always considered myself of above average intelligence, minus the typical traits of a dyslexic ;). I found school to be very frustrating and found LCA to be a blessing. As a result of doing the LCA am in a career I love and at under 30 i earn 40,000+ PA.

LCA teaching style suited me and kept me disciplined though out the 2 years, with regular assignments and tests that made up your final grade it would keep you focused and prepared for college and the workplace.

Why? Your employer expects you to be on your A game 24/7 not just for a few weeks of the year, LCA prepares students for this.

How does cramming and regurgitating a few books make you more intelligent?

Personally I feel the LA point base system is out dated, many i know personally and professionally have university degrees and to be quite frank their not wrote the paper they are printed on, Not to be dismiss-of of those who are studious and are hard working, but these days tech jobs (in particular) have no coloration between the degrees people posses and the roles they have or are suited for.

If you have any questions, pls ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

reformus wrote: »
    Hey all,

I did the LCA years back, i am dyslexic, but I was never tested. I was well behaved and would of always considered myself of above average intelligence, minus the typical traits of a dyslexic ;). I found school to be very frustrating and found LCA to be a blessing. As a result of doing the LCA am in a career I love and at under 30 i earn 40,000+ PA.

LCA teaching style suited me and kept me disciplined though out the 2 years, with regular assignments and tests that made up your final grade it would keep you focused and prepared for college and the workplace.

Why? Your employer expects you to be on your A game 24/7 not just for a few weeks of the year, LCA prepares students for this.

How does cramming and regurgitating a few books make you more intelligent?

Personally I feel the LA point base system is out dated, many i know personally and professionally have university degrees and to be quite frank their not wrote the paper they are printed on, Not to be dismiss-of of those who are studious and are hard working, but these days tech jobs (in particular) have no coloration between the degrees people posses and the roles they have or are suited for.

If you have any questions, pls ask.

Hi reformus,

not sure where the above post have come from but anyway..

In my opinion the last point you make is a bit off the mark,
    what about the sectors such as healthcare,teaching,engineering?
    would a staff nurse not have a nursing degree in kind,? civil engineer etc,teacher (Bed),
    other sectors out there besides tech,i know there is some variety in tech alright
    how do you mean degrees arent worth the paper they are written on???.
    people put a lot of hard work and effort into degrees,and it can get them on a career ladder the stronger degree behind them.

Leaving cert prepares students for the working world, constant projects and exams over the school year, just like LCA, not to diss LCA but there is a big jump between the two, to say the LCA prepares more than LC is flawed in my view,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

LCA is a waste of time and not worth the paper it's printed on. I know this because I was stuck in LCA a few years ago and it has no progression for students in terms of education or even work now.

You can't go into third level, you now can't get into many public sector jobs like Gardai with it and I believe it's a course that should be discontinued immediately.

Advertisement