Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Set Top Box

• 17-09-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Recently got UPC there last Thu., and only now have realised that the Digital + Set Top Box they've provided has no HDMI connection.

Currently I amn't subscribed to any HD channels, but in terms of futureproofing I think it'd be surely worth my while telling them this set top box is not suitable for my needs, and could I have a Digital Set Top Box (with HDMI connection).

Secondly, if I'm using a monitor rather than a standard tv for watching tv, surely a HDMI connection would provide better sound and picture quality, or am I mistaken?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ordinarily you only get a HD box as and when you take out a HD subscription, but give them a call and see what they say. Theres no futureproofing; youre only renting the equipment so if you need a HD box at a later date they will supply you with one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

This came up when RTÉ Two HD became available to non-HD customers with HD equipment and became a bug bearer for some. Basically UPC will replace your box if you ask, but you'll be charged the self-install charge (they do have to pay a courier to get the equipment to you and pick up your old equipment). I think its meant to save them from an onslaught of calls from people looking to swap boxes for HD boxes just to get RTÉ Two HD.

OP you're only guaranteed a HD box if you take a HD package. Some lucky people have gotten HD boxes taking standard packages. I ordered a (non-HD) DVR and two extra standard boxes a few months back. The extra boxes were HD but the DVR wasn't. Ironically one of them is hooked up to a CRT TV with no HDMI input while the DVR is hooked up to a HD ready TV - by SCART.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A lot of posters with relatively recent non-HD UPC boxes say that they have a HDMI connection. I think the trick is that if you are signing up for a non-HD service, you need to tell UPC that your TV has no SCART socket in which case they will give you a DVR with a HDMI port.

I don't think that there is an issue about 'future proofing'. If you don't signup for a HD service, the box you get will not be HD-capable whether it has a HDMI port or not so whatever type of box (SCART or HDMI) they ship, you will still need a new box when you upgrade to HD.

I'm on a non-HD box connected via SCART and provided you set the TV signal to RGB you shouldn't suffer any loss of picture quality because you have SCART and not HDMI. Some channels are good and some (especially UTV) are bad but I don't think it has anything to do with HDMI vs. SCART.

The OP must have been given a box that came from a subscriber who recently upgraded to HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

As hinted at they have loads of non HD boxes they want to shift. Rather than dump them all they provide you with a SD box.

Generally there should be no difference in the quality for SD channels. If you get a HD box you get RTE2 in HD, without paying for the HD pack.

At this stage it will be more difficult to get a box unless you just bought a lovely new TV and it has no Scart connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

zg3409 wrote: »
    As hinted at they have loads of non HD boxes they want to shift. Rather than dump them all they provide you with a SD box.

Generally there should be no difference in the quality for SD channels. If you get a HD box you get RTE2 in HD, without paying for the HD pack.

At this stage it will be more difficult to get a box unless you just bought a lovely new TV and it has no Scart connector.

I'm finding it quite hard to get through to anyone who can help me, but basically I have a tv with only a HDMI connection, and require a set top box from them with a HDMI connection. UPC seem to think this can only be allowed if I pay for a HD package, but I keep on telling them I know that apart from the HD set top box (with HDMI) there are two set top boxes they regularly send out - one with SCART, one with HDMI - and all I want is the former, not even a cable, just a set top box with a HDMI connection, is that too much to ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think your problem lies in the fact that the call centre staff are totally seperate from the guys who do site visits. Often the call centre staff do not know what the installers know. If you could get the model number you need you could report your current box as faulty and as for a specific model number. When the guy calls before arriving explain your needs. If he does not have the right one in the van he could reschedule for someone else on another day.

It won't be easy as one side does not talk to the other. They just seem to talk electronically via work requests.

There is a UPC rep on boards. Possibly contact him as he seems to know his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

zg3409 wrote: »
    I think your problem lies in the fact that the call centre staff are totally seperate from the guys who do site visits. Often the call centre staff do not know what the installers know. If you could get the model number you need you could report your current box as faulty and as for a specific model number. When the guy calls before arriving explain your needs. If he does not have the right one in the van he could reschedule for someone else on another day.

It won't be easy as one side does not talk to the other. They just seem to talk electronically via work requests.

There is a UPC rep on boards. Possibly contact him as he seems to know his stuff.

I actually got put through to someone on the technical side, but he said his hands were tied, that he could "do me a favour" by requesting that the guy who sold me the package would give me a call back. It's a perfect example of a big company passing the buck, no one's responsible for anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I'm finding it quite hard to get through to anyone who can help me, but basically I have a tv with only a HDMI connection, and require a set top box from them with a HDMI connection.

Its fairly obvious why no-one is willing to help as the Call center staff will assume that you're lying through your teeth about having a TV with only a HDMI input. Ive been out looking at TV's recently as I want to get a new one and not a single one I looked at had HDMI only so, Unless you can provide the TV model number, I'm gonna have to assume, like the UPC call center staff are, that you're telling porkies.

UPC seem to think this can only be allowed if I pay for a HD package,

They are correct, only people on a HD subscription are given a HD box, These are the rules and its not worth the call center persons job to bend the rules for you, especially when the first point above is so obvious. A genuine issue may be taken into consideration and there are folk with HD boxes and no HD subscription but these are the exceptions to the rule.

but I keep on telling them I know that apart from the HD set top box (with HDMI) there are two set top boxes they regularly send out - one with SCART, one with HDMI - and all I want is the former, not even a cable, just a set top box with a HDMI connection, is that too much to ask?

well, actually, yes it is to much to ask as you are not correct, no UPC D4A STB has a HDMI output, only HD boxes do. There's manuals and pictures on the UPC site which clearly show teh backs of the SD boxes. http://www.upc.ie/customer_support/manuals/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I just got a UPC box and like op was disappointed in not having HDMI output from the box. The picture is not at all good. My friend who lives within 2 miles away has a bigger telly but has a UPC box with HDMI, not subscribed to HD channels and the picture for standard channels is far superior than what I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I just got a UPC box and like op was disappointed in not having HDMI output from the box. The picture is not at all good. My friend who lives within 2 miles away has a bigger telly but has a UPC box with HDMI, not subscribed to HD channels and the picture for standard channels is far superior than what I have.

Have you checked that the box is sending an RGB and not composite video signal to the TV?

Menu/Settings/TV Settings/Picture Quality needs to be set to High(RGB).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Cheers, that's it sorted.

Advertisement