Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All set for the French Orals?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Donerkebab

Go home.

Je m'appelle David et je n'aime pas le cruauté des animaux.

Yeah we will see who fails come August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Donerkebab wrote: »
    Yeah we will see who fails come August.

I was joking, calm down. Your post is stupid and misinforming though, animal cruelty is not a 'cert' (presumably you mean certainty?), it couldn't be further from it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

I'm actually having like, a mental breakdown or something!
    I'm so nervous I can hardly function.
    I've always had bad stage fright (If that's the best way to describe it) but this is taking the piss!

I'm kind of upset with the oral. Like I answered everything he asked me well, but I spent the whole time trying to bring up the lotto so that I could talk about global warming. He brought it up eventually anyway and he said "Have you ever won the lotto?" I said I hadn't but I have loads of plans for if I ever won it. I expected him to ask me what would I do if I won it next, so I didn't say anything else. That turned out to be the last question, the next thing he said was alors, c'est ça, merci!
    If I hadn't been such a fúcking idiot and had just said "I've loads of plans for if I do win it, for example..." I would have done so much better. There's my A1 gone out the window.

Lovely oral there, went exactly to plan. Worked the conversation towards the Grand national and what do you know animal cruelty:cool: ....Lovely questions throughout, felt like I was just talking to my friend. Get in!!!!! A1 here I come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm gonna bring in a picture of London probably the London Eye or Big Ben.
    Do you think there's a chance I'll be asked about the olympics being held there this year?
    I don't know if it's worth preparing an answer for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

Have my french oral on Thursday and i would really like to bring the subjunctive in as many people reccommend this. Is anyone able to help me to understand more what it means and how to make it?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

YEEESSSSSS :D

Had my French Oral at 3.15 this Afternoon and it was a beauty! Absolutely aced it! :D

She was sooo nice, she let you talk for as long as you wanted and asked fairly easy questions! I got a big spiel about Drugs/Alcohol and the Olympics so i'm happy out! She kept me in for 16 minutes though :eek: time flewww.. Hoping for a B1+ DELIGHTED

Got the subjunctive in at least 4/5 times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

Alors, si(je gagnais-si rule imperfect + conditional ) j'ai gagné le loto je ferais pas mal de choses. J'organiserais une soirée pour ma famille et mes amis. Je voyagerais(autour du monde) le monde et le meilleur pour la fin (last but not least, good one to use I think!), je donnerais beaucoup de l'argent aux organisations caritatives qui essaient d'empêcher le réchauffement globale. À mon avis, le réchauffement globale est un problème très grave. Les déchets radioactifs, la déforestation et les centrales nucléaires ne sont que quelques exemples qui montrent que nous ne faisons pas assez d'attention à notre planète. Je(voudrais perhaps ? ) veux donner de l'argent aux organisations qui protègent l'environnement car bien que je fasse toujours le recyclage, il faut que tout le monde le fasse.

How's that?

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

Lovely oral there, went exactly to plan. Worked the conversation towards the Grand national and what do you know animal cruelty:cool: ....Lovely questions throughout, felt like I was just talking to my friend. Get in!!!!! A1 here I come.

What exactly did you say for animal cruelty? :) This might come up in mine as animals are in my oral convo a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

How does one say

"I need 340 points in my Leaving Cert"?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

Fergus_ wrote: »
    How does one say

"I need 340 points in my Leaving Cert"?

"Il faut que j'obtienne trois cent quarante points."
    the "j'obtienne" is a handy subjunctive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Have mine tomorrow (thought it was today but still nervous!).

Any tips?!! =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

ChemHickey wrote: »

Any tips?!! =)

Smile. Talk. Relax. Talk. :P

Seriously though that is pretty much the main thing! You've probably got everything covered now so bonne chance! :)

(Also, I'd avoid anyone who came out of their oral in floods of tears...) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Togepi wrote: »
    ChemHickey wrote: »

Any tips?!! =)

Smile. Talk. Relax. Talk. :P

Seriously though that is pretty much the main thing! You've probably got everything covered now so bonne chance! :)

(Also, I'd avoid anyone who came out of their oral in floods of tears...) :pac:

Cool! Merci beaucoup monsieur/madame! I'll remember to take all those into the exam with me! I'm third and between two pass students so hopefully it might make me seen a wee bit better than I am!

Apparently our examiner loves interrupting mid word and doesn't let you talk! he only asked one question on everyones' document ( around 30 seconds ) and lets you talk for two sentences and then completely changes topic! but still, apparently he's lovely and friendly... :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

Does anyone know how "j'aie" (1st person subjunctive of avoir) is pronounced?
    I saw somewhere before that it's like "eye" but I listened to a sound file online there and it was different?

I pronounce it 'eye'. :)

It's pronounced the same way as j'ai, I think. J'eye is j'aille.

^^^ That actually makes more sense, thanks Coeur!

siobhan93 wrote: »
    What exactly did you say for animal cruelty? :) This might come up in mine as animals are in my oral convo a lot.

Yeah I love animals too.I personally am totally against horse racing, it is a disgrace. I worked it around to talk about the fur farms and how they need be more publicised.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Some silly testosterone-fuelled posts deleted.

Kiss and make up, you two.

Or if you must have a pissing contest, take it out the back of the bikeshed where I don't have to watch! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 dumdiddle

Ok i had my french oral today....it was not a complete disaster but i certainly was not happy with it after with the amount of work i put in...just went blank!

It doesn't help that the two people before me were both students aiming for 560 points +....making me look even worse!

Im just wondering though..lets say i got 50% out of 100 for the oral does this make it really impossible for me to get a B2 or B3?...Its what i need!...im not the best at the french paper so that makes matters worse! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

dumdiddle wrote: »
    Ok i had my french oral today....it was not a complete disaster but i certainly was not happy with it after with the amount of work i put in...just went blank!

It doesn't help that the two people before me were both students aiming for 560 points +....making me look even worse!

Im just wondering though..lets say i got 50% out of 100 for the oral does this make it really impossible for me to get a B2 or B3?...Its what i need!...im not the best at the french paper so that makes matters worse! :/
    Well for a B3 you need 280/400 minimum. If you got 50 in your oral, that means you'll need at least 230/300 to get a B3. That means you'll have to be getting around 77% in your tape/written to pull a B3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

For the last few weeks at school my teacher has been practicing abstracts - really abstract rubbish like the french speaking world ! Then we had an assembly with the examiner and she goes " I'm not going to ask any hard questions " and she didnt ask one person in my year any hard questions ! It was great :) God help the people who got my teacher as examiner ....

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

haro124 wrote: »
    For the last few weeks at school my teacher has been practicing abstracts - really abstract rubbish like the french speaking world ! Then we had an assembly with the examiner and she goes " I'm not going to ask any hard questions " and she didnt ask one person in my year any hard questions ! It was great :) God help the people who got my teacher as examiner ....

That's what it was like when I did it back in the day but they told us they just wanted to have a chat and it was no pressure, and then one girl gets asked how do you pitch a tent seeing as you were at oxygen..

Advertisement