Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Mindme

Caitriona wrote: »
    Thanks, Mindme; I was really looking for more personal knowledge though; I've looked at them on plenty of sites but I'd like firsthand knowledge of how good they are: reliability, standard of support from the manufacturer, that sort of thing.

I'm a bit nonplussed by the whole candle thing. It seems unlikely that they could produce enough heat! Not that I'm denying it, mind you, I just don't know enough about it.

Yes Catriona it is wise to get first hand experience. We have been burning all sorts of fuels in our stove for about 15 years.

Our small multi-fuel stove heats up very well and is hot enough using candles to keep us nice and warm. Kettles on top reach near boiling temperatures.
    http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com
    Increasing the number of candle will be the test in colder weather. Watch this space. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Aquos76 wrote: »

Also, the Valencia also comes with an attachment that clips to the top of the stove to divert the heat outwards rather than upwards and I've seen this in operation and in fairness is seem very effective as the underside of the marble fireplace which it was fitted too didn't seem to warm.

Thanks for mentioning that Aquos. We have been considering an insert stove and one of my concerns was most of the heat being directed up and out the chimney, as only really the door of the stove would be exposed to the room . I will ask about that attachment when talking to suppliers.

Hope you guys will give the 10 hour burn candles a try. Very economical.

http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Caitriona

We've been getting a clearer idea of how much installing a boiler stove is going to cost us, and honestly I'm not sure it's worth it.

The stove we're looking at, the Inis Meain, is around €1700 generally, excluding installation; the one quote we've had so far for connecting it to the heater (and converting the heating from closed to open) was €1750, plus there's all the flue stuff and the actual installation of the stove, and the changes to the fireplace to make room for it. I reckon it's probably not going to come in under €4000.

We have a fire lit every night in winter, and for most of the day when we're at home; for years just heating the sitting room was enough for us, we don't really feel the cold once we're in bed. But now we've a toddler and another baby on the way so the house needs to be cosier. The logic was that for about the same amount of coal and wood we're burning on the open fire now, we'd heat the whole house rather than just the sitting room, so there'd be no real change in our heating bills.

Are we mad to even consider it? Would we be better off to just put a dry stove in the sitting room and bite the bullet of going through a tank of oil every winter? Given the price of oil, that's probably €800 a year or so, so if we did keep using the same amount of solid fuel that we use now, the stove would have paid for itself in 5 years.

On a scale of 'no, you're being perfectly logical' to 'get back in the loony bin, you're a danger to yourself and everyone else', tell me how mad I'm being?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

Caitriona wrote: »
    We've been getting a clearer idea of how much installing a boiler stove is going to cost us, and honestly I'm not sure it's worth it.

The stove we're looking at, the Inis Meain, is around €1700 generally, excluding installation; the one quote we've had so far for connecting it to the heater (and converting the heating from closed to open) was €1750, plus there's all the flue stuff and the actual installation of the stove, and the changes to the fireplace to make room for it. I reckon it's probably not going to come in under €4000.

We have a fire lit every night in winter, and for most of the day when we're at home; for years just heating the sitting room was enough for us, we don't really feel the cold once we're in bed. But now we've a toddler and another baby on the way so the house needs to be cosier. The logic was that for about the same amount of coal and wood we're burning on the open fire now, we'd heat the whole house rather than just the sitting room, so there'd be no real change in our heating bills.

Are we mad to even consider it? Would we be better off to just put a dry stove in the sitting room and bite the bullet of going through a tank of oil every winter? Given the price of oil, that's probably €800 a year or so, so if we did keep using the same amount of solid fuel that we use now, the stove would have paid for itself in 5 years.

On a scale of 'no, you're being perfectly logical' to 'get back in the loony bin, you're a danger to yourself and everyone else', tell me how mad I'm being?

I supose if you have the 4 grand and dont mind spending it out now to save later, then thats good or prefer to keep back some of the money for other things more pressing.

I love my boiler stove and have no other boiler and it is cheaper than oil.

If you were happy heating just your living room with your open fire then installing a non boiler stove would greatly improve the efficiency and a massive difference in the heat output. You may find this satisfactory.

If you leave the door(s) open to other rooms you would let the heat circulate to other rooms. If you have thermostatic radiator valves fitted they would close down as the stove heats the room or rooms and reduce your oil consumption.

If your room and stairs is more open plan it would work very very well.

Stove Fan:)

• Advertisement

The sitting room and dining room are open plan but with the fire lit and all the doors open, the kitchen stays cool and the hall is freezing (it's the biggest space in the house and only has a single rad - stupid builders! Though we were thinking that if we got a stove we could swap the big double rad from the sitting room with the single from the hall, it'd make much more sense that way). Certainly none of the heat reaches the bedrooms we'll have two very small people sleeping in this winter, which is why we're considering this. We figure it makes sense to pipe some of the nice heat from the sitting room up to them instead of sending it up the chimney!

Thermostatic radiator valves - I doubt it! The whole system is very basic - the builders did everything on the cheap.

It's not that we have four grand hanging around spare, but an interest free loan could be arranged if we thought it was worth it in the long run, which is why I'm asking.

Incidentally, thank you, Stove Fan, you've answered many stupid questions from me lately, you must have the patience of a saint and I really do appreciate it : )

Catriona, Having 15 years of stove heating and still a cold bathroom can I not persuade you to try metal and glass candle lanterns in the colder rooms? Bought our small stove second hand for 150 punts it has paid for itself time and again.

The candle powered stove as seen here has great potential. The implications for the wood starved third world are enormous. http://irelandtoo.blogspot.com

MINDME you have already discussed the candle powerstove above. Unless you get requests for techanical aspects you are indanger of being classed as spamming and your posts will be deleated.

(Sorry about that. Should have realised. Mindme.)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Definitely look into upgrading your insulation. At least that way whatever you are spending on heating will be maximised by keeping the heat in the house.

We have a stove in our livingroom which just heats the water, no rads - I normally have the doors to the kitchen and utility room open so the living area of the house is pretty open plan. The stove leaves the top part of the house very warm - we have a bungalow too. I often just open the hallway door to let the heat into the corridor.

Definitely upgrading the insulation has made a huge difference to the way our house holds the heat. We got the attic done and the cavity pumped in the spring - Cost €1450 and got €750 back in the grant - think the grant has been reduced since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mollzer

Anyone have any experience, good or bad with either Blacksmith Forge or the Olymberyl Aidan?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

The stove we're looking at, the Inis Meain, is around €1700 generally,

thats crazy money, there are numerous other irish companies selling quality cast iron stoves for just over half that price.

I reckon it's probably not going to come in under €4000.

the instalation cost is large, copper pipes and fittings are expensive but labour is cheap now, price around and you should be able to get the seperate trades cheaper than that

• Advertisement

GY A1 wrote: »

thats crazy money, there are numerous other irish companies selling quality cast iron stoves for just over half that price.

Unfortunately I happen to particularly like the look of that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Hello all

I'm thinking of a stove but have problems, firstly we have a limestone fireplace which I'm told is not capable of taking the heat from a stove or open fire, so I'm looking at a fireplace replacement too.

Secondly there is a back boiler that would have to come out because it looks impossible how someone could flue up a stove with it in place, don't ask how we got into this kinda of mess (me thinks celtic tiger type decision).

Would it be possible for a good fireplace man to take ours down unbroken so we could sell it and the back boiler? And does all this work sound economically viable to do..

We were thinking of a stove with a built in boiler and the current opening is 18" in a 4 bed semi..

Cheers in advance, Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sligo Stoves and Fireplaces

GY A1 wrote: »

I reckon it's probably not going to come in under €4000.

the instalation cost is large, copper pipes and fittings are expensive but labour is cheap now, price around and you should be able to get the seperate trades cheaper than that

The Inis Meain is an Irish made steel bodied stove. There are no cast iron stoves made in Ireland. There are Irish companies that manufacture cast iron stoves, mostly in China, but Inis is an Irish stove in the true sense. The quality of the Inis stoves is far superior, in my opinion, to "Irish" (Chinese) cast iron stoves. Most good stove retailers will have different stoves, both cast iron and steel, budget to top-quality to suit the needs of all customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scropmc

hi all i've been looking at getting a 7kw non-boiler multi-fuel stove for my house. as a starting point i've been looking at the stanley oscar. can anybody tell me if this is the best on the market and wheteher there are equals that are cheaper etc etc i'm in ireland so i'm not sure if that limits my choices? any help and advice really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Well I've ordered the Hunter stove. Should arrive in a weeks time. Fingers crossed.

I fitted the Hunter Kestrel 5 in my living room a few months back. Excellent little stove, I'm burning wood (well seasoned) and it whacks out the heat.
    Only criticism I would have is small bits of embers can get lodged between grate and glass and can fall out when refuelling, also fire box is small but it is only 5kw.
    Not sure how the flue damper will work out,(I didnt fit one) I think overnight burn wont work with just wood. Maybe smokeless coal will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Putty Man

Great thread, thanks for all the advice so far!

We're picking 2 stoves for our new house and pretty much decided on a Charnwood Cove 1 (or possibly a C-Four) for our small room.

For the big room tho we want to include a boiler, and have narrowed it down to a Stanley Reginald or most likely an Inis Meain.

I've played with both and keep thinking the Inis is more 'solid', tho that could be in my head. Is there any difference in the Chinese cast stoves comapred to an Irish made steel stove? Cost of both is about the same.

Any comments welcome.

Putty Man wrote: »
    Great thread, thanks for all the advice so far!

We're picking 2 stoves for our new house and pretty much decided on a Charnwood Cove 1 (or possibly a C-Four) for our small room.

For the big room tho we want to include a boiler, and have narrowed it down to a Stanley Reginald or most likely an Inis Meain.

I've played with both and keep thinking the Inis is more 'solid', tho that could be in my head. Is there any difference in the Chinese cast stoves comapred to an Irish made steel stove? Cost of both is about the same.

Any comments welcome.

With regards to your charnwood stove the C four in my opinion is their best looking and best designed stove they have ever made.:D
    Made in China generally has a bad quality reputation. If it was between the two I would buy the inis mean unless it was expensive compared to premium brand boiler stoves. Charnwood etc.

Thanks Stove Fan for your advice.

We like the C Four but for a lack of a multifuel grate as standard and lack of Quatroflow. Also I'm not sure you can fit the external air supply kit to the C Four. The CF Four is £150 cheaper than the Cove 1, what makes it such a good design?

For the big boiler stove; the Inis Meain is about £270 more than the Stanley Reginald, and about £500 cheaper than a big Charnwood. So the Inis Meain is a lot cheaper than premium brands, but a fair bit more expensive than a Stanley.

In real life use tho, how would an Inis Meain be better than a Stanley Reginald?

Thanks Stove Fan for your advice.

We like the C Four but for a lack of a multifuel grate as standard and lack of Quatroflow. Also I'm not sure you can fit the external air supply kit to the C Four. The CF Four is £150 cheaper than the Cove 1, what makes it such a good design?

For the big boiler stove; the Inis Meain is about £270 more than the Stanley Reginald, and about £500 cheaper than a big Charnwood. So the Inis Meain is a lot cheaper than premium brands, but a fair bit more expensive than a Stanley.

In real life use tho, how would an Inis Meain be better than a Stanley Reginald?

I didn't realise the multifuel grate was extra. I think it looks pretty. It's the stove I would choose. It's a good stove as it has a lot of features of the more expensive Cove and Island range. It's a more updated Country 4:) Whats quatraflow?

You may be perfectly happy with either stove, but generally the better made stoves have better air seals/inlets, ie more controllable. More airtight so use less fuel. Made of carefully crafted quality materials . Stove Production from start to finish all made in house so quality can be controlled and kept up to standards. Hand made/ finished. What did you think of each stove for quality when you viewed them? It's generally better to spend more. You do get what you pay for. For me in desirability/function it would be 1 Charnwood. 2 Inis Mean and 3 Stanley. A stove is not just something to burn fuel in they are all different with regards quality and function. Exactly like cars.

Charnwood have a long reputation of producing good quality stoves. Well tried and tested.
    Inis are a very recent manufacturer.
    Stanley have been around a while but mass produced in China.

You really need feedback/reviews from owners from the various make/models.

The choice is yours though:)

I agree the CFour looks lovely, and seems very well made when I poked at it in the showroom. We are still tempted by it, but the extra £150 you pay for a Cove 1 must go somewhere. Also we like the higher stand you get with the Cove 1.

Here's the sales blurb on Quatroflow, tbh it seems like a fairly big deal I would say?
    http://www.charnwood.com/QUATTROFLOW-air-management-system.aspx#

The more I hear about Stanley/Chinese stoves the more I'm moving towards an Inis. So at the moment the Inis Mor/Meain is winning our big stove competition. The guy selling the Inis is a local fella too, and a plumber by trade, which is a good combo I think.

We looked into a Charnwood Cove 2B or an Island 3B for the big room, but you cannot have both an external air supply, and a back boiler on these. Which rules them out for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭creedp

I agree the CFour looks lovely, and seems very well made when I poked at it in the showroom. We are still tempted by it, but the extra £150 you pay for a Cove 1 must go somewhere. Also we like the higher stand you get with the Cove 1.

Here's the sales blurb on Quatroflow, tbh it seems like a fairly big deal I would say?
    http://www.charnwood.com/QUATTROFLOW-air-management-system.aspx#

The more I hear about Stanley/Chinese stoves the more I'm moving towards an Inis. So at the moment the Inis Mor/Meain is winning our big stove competition. The guy selling the Inis is a local fella too, and a plumber by trade, which is a good combo I think.

We looked into a Charnwood Cove 2B or an Island 3B for the big room, but you cannot have both an external air supply, and a back boiler on these. Which rules them out for us.

I was looking throgh the Charnwood material and noticed the lack of reference to the external air supply option. Is this the case for all the Charnwood products or do some provide this option? Q therefore, is what are the options for good quality woodburning or multifuel stoves that provide this facility?

creedp wrote: »
    I was looking throgh the Charnwood material and noticed the lack of reference to the external air supply option. Is this the case for all the Charnwood products or do some provide this option? Q therefore, is what are the options for good quality woodburning or multifuel stoves that provide this facility?

Hi:) The only models that charnwood do with the external air kit are the Cove and Island Range. Their boiler stoves cant have this feature.

See:
    http://www.charnwood.com/range/stove/charnwood-external-air-manifold.aspx

I will see if there are others:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sligo Stoves and Fireplaces

All the Inis boiler and non-boiler stoves have an external air option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

We have a czech-made cast iron wood burner that's in need of a repaint. We'll probably just go with a matt black finish so any recommendations for the type of paint to use would be appreciated.

NickTellis wrote: »
    We have a czech-made cast iron wood burner that's in need of a repaint. We'll probably just go with a matt black finish so any recommendations for the type of paint to use would be appreciated.

Hi:) Any high temperature paint will be fine. Just look at the back of the can and see what it's temperature rating is.
    The heat proof paint generally has a picture of a stove or barbecue.

Spray around 20-30cm away and apply in several coats rather than using lots:). Gives a good finish. You can get it in black with a metalic finish too if required. (little silver flecks) I have used this paint in the UK. Don't know if they post to Ireland? Many colours available. Good quality.
    http://calfire.com/section.php?section=59&session=new

Stove Fan.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 scropmc

has anyone ever heard of wainsford stoves? i have found a stove dealer in my area who is selling stoves quite cheap this is his website http://www.stoves2udirect.eu/NON-BOILER-STOVES-.html i was looking at the 8kw elm. its half the price of any other 8kw stove i've found so i'm afraid that it may be too good to be true???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭creedp

As this is a dedicated stove thread can I refer to another thread on stoves and external air supply in this forum and ask those in the business to comment on the apparent grave dangers of installing a stove or indeed an open fireplace in a room which also has a forced ventilation device such as a kitchen extractor fan without also installing a negative pressure guard. Has anyone ever come across this issue and what are your views on the matter. Has anyone who has installed a stove in such a scenario installed one of these devices?

All comments awaited with great interest as I would be very concerned to go ahead an install a stove if I was doing something that could harm a member of my family.

Btw sorry my technical incompetence means I can't include a link of the other thread here but it should be easy enough to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭heinbloed

The ongoing thread creedp refers to is here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056411453

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Can anyone give me a comparison between the Esse 350GS, Boru Chieftain and the Charnwood SLX45i?

I cannot find any reviews of Boru (but loads of people looking for reviews).
    Charnwood and Esse are pretty good apparently too.

It's for a Semi-d, and I already have an open fire with back boiler so the plumbing should be minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Stove Fan wrote: »
    Hi:) Any high temperature paint will be fine. Just look at the back of the can and see what it's temperature rating is.
    The heat proof paint generally has a picture of a stove or barbecue.

Spray around 20-30cm away and apply in several coats rather than using lots:). Gives a good finish. You can get it in black with a metalic finish too if required. (little silver flecks) I have used this paint in the UK. Don't know if they post to Ireland? Many colours available. Good quality.
    http://calfire.com/section.php?section=59&session=new

Stove Fan.:)

Thanks Stove Fan, that looks like exactly what I need. Might even be a little daring and go for a colour other than black.

Any idea how much these cans cost?

Advertisement