Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tips for students heading into 6th year in September

• 06-06-2010 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

A few Tips for students heading into 6th year in September ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Start building up the study in November, keep practicing essays and don't get stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

don't study too hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 sabrinaspelman

is there any point in starting to study now ?
    i'd love to go back in September and have no revision of the past year to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭CantStandMeNow

is there any point in starting to study now ?
    i'd love to go back in September and have no revision of the past year to do.

Id advise against it.. there's plenty of time in sixth year.. besides if you start now you will just spontaneously combust by the time the Leavin' comes round.. Enjoy this summer.. you will need it!
    In regards to tips about sixth year, do ALL of your homework.. don't kill yourself but never let yourself fall behind and do a bit of study when you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

If you do history, DON'T leave anything until the last 2 weeks before the LC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

A few Tips for students heading into 6th year in September ???

I would study one day a week in the summer, by the time its over you would have revised nearly the whole of 5th year!

Only if you feel you need to/are interested in something which is a lot of points, though.

Its a great feeling to have some done when people start cramming;)

Start looking over what you did in class in each week, this would take only one/two hours every weekend until Christmas.. From then on I would advise you to start proper studying

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

There is no real need to be studying full time before Christmas, but after Christmas give it e all you've got or you'll regret it, like I am now! lol @ cramming 2 days before my first exam. Don't leave it this fecking late!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭lucybrown

do consistent study every week for the year and u will be flying!! dont peak at mocks tho make sure u peak in the real thing

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Don't bother studying over the summer and next year start off in september doing one hour of study in the evening and then gradually build up as the exams get closer(by build up i mean by easter be aiming to do like 3.....although i wish i had done that instead of this nervous cramming)

Although, if you are doing art, take my advice and start studying and reading up on the history side of it NOW, we all thought it was a joke until we realized how huge the goddamn course is and now we are all doomed.

Oh, and I'll let you in on a little secret, this guy is a god, he should be awarded some amazing prize, he truly deserves it, this will help with biology, chemistry, physics, maths, history and maybe business or accounting or one of those type of subjects.: http://www.khanacademy.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

If you want to do really really well start to study before Christmas. Try to get into a routine. Maybe aim to do about 5 hours of work each night so 5pm - 10pm each night 2 night Home work 3 hours study if you do that then pump it up after
    Christmas.
    If you do history I cannot stress how important it is to keep on top of everything. You will barely have the course finished for the L.C let alone the mocks I would even go so far to say that it would be a very good idea to go ahead of you class and start prep on work you have yet to cover if yo u want to be on top of all the topics.

Do not risk you chances of doing well by spending too much time on the likes of facebook.

Do not listen to other students. This goes for everything in relation to 6th year. Who cares if so and so is doing 10 hours every night they will burn out work to your own pace. And not matter how hard it is try not to listen to predictions. THE PEOPLE IN THE IOE DO NOT WRITE THE PAPERS !!!!

Make sure you have allocated time for yourself and your friends.

The Leaving cert is there for your taking. As much as people say that it is the hardest exam you will ever take it really is not. You have effectively been given a set a books and given 2 years to learn them inside out. Do it. It requires very little independent research or analysis. It is a straightforward exam and is easy to do well in.

If you do not give it your all you will regret it. Why accept second best when you could have easily gotten your first choice had you not spent every weekend drunk.

Also there will be a lot of 18 s during the year try not to get swept away with them and spend you whole year going out.

It is one year that is totally there for you taking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Have a copy for each subject for exam questions. Get your teachers to mark your answers throughout the year. These will be great revision tools especially for exams with essay type questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

i wish i had your time

Ok - if i were you, personally, id keep study going a little during summer.
    Hear me out
    If you do History or bio, you will take my advice - those courses are HUGE !!!!!
    Use the valuable time you have NOW
    If i could go back.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

green909 wrote: »
    Maybe aim to do about 5 hours of work each night so 5pm - 10pm each night 2 night Home work 3 hours study if you do that then pump it up after

OK so you finish school at 4? then study from 5 until 10 then pump it after that so mayb study from 5 until 12. Are you crazy?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

Best piece of advice? Relax. 6th year is so draining, I always found myself falling asleep for an hour most evenings- and that's with a good 8/9 (and sometimes 12!) hour sleep.

Start taking some multivitamin, and fish liver oils improve concentration and memory (also great for hair, nails and skin...:P)

Just do your homework, properly. Not a 10 minute rushed job, really make sure you put your all into your homework. And go over what you did in class that day. Don't even try to revise during the week before Christmas, you'll have too much to do. After Christmas, try doing a small topic from each subject each week.. works out at one a night (e.g. "Jack" on Monday night or Q1, P1 in maths on Tuesday etc)

And dont forget to chiiiiilll.... don't get worked up over it, it's only an exam. I used to take one full Sunday off each week (I'd work 10-6 but no homework when I got home) and I took Friday nights off to see my friends that don't go to my school. I did that up until the orals and then I knuckled down... it was time enough and I still kept my social life! Good luck :)

Oh! one more piece of advice, start stocking up on bigger clothes. Honestly, the LC is worse than having a baby. You're too tired to exercise and you're so overworked that all you want to do is eat. Not a good combination!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

No matter what you do or what you plan.... your only gonna really start studying a week before the mocks... get used to the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Exercise, Exercise, Exercise......most people who are drained of energy have stopped their exercise as they came up to the leaving.

The more fit you are = The mroe energy you have = More will to study ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

Just keep on top of homework and class tests. They're honestly isn't time to revise during the year because you're still covering most courses! Make notes as you go along for tests because these will be so handy in the few weeks before the exam :) (wish I'd taken my own advice :P) You'll always feel like you're not doing enough but everyones in the same boat :) Most of all enjoy your last year in school :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

Best advice I have is do all your homework and study for your class tests. Keep up on the essays! They help Immensely coming up to the exams and I find for english, irish and art history going through the essays was the most helpful thing for taking notes and getting little bits and pieces. Another little tip I have is start practicing for the mock as early as you can - don't leave it last minute and say it outloud to yourself rather than running over it in your head.
    When revising, highlight all the key points and then write them down, start learning them off. Flashcards can be really handy as are spider diagrams, especially for poets in english.
    Don't put all your strength into mocks! They're only a practice run of the LC and they don't mean anything - you jump up (apparently) in the real thing.

Also I agree with that stocking up on the bigger clothes unless you exercise frequently but I myself got a year long gym membership in May/June last year thinking I'd use it throughout sixth year and within two weeks of september, I was too exhausted to use it so be warned! Most people I know who were frequent joggers had the same problem as well -. they all swapped it to study instead.

But overall it's a fun but stressful year, this time next year you'll be so fed up of waiting you'll just want to tear into the LC and get it over and done with. It can be really long and hard going at times but you just have to keep at it and eventually it'll be all over. It's only a year of your life and then you're free to go to uni and have a great time. Also spend time with your friends - don't not go out just because your studying (who studies at ten at night on a weekend realistically), don't pay attention to the 'i put in 12 hours a day' brigades and make the most of it :)

Advertisement