Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best pub grub in the city?

• 10-12-2014 5:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Not a restaurant thread :P or a man passionate about his grub :D Any recommendations? Simplistic stuff like soup and a sandwich (nice soup and good brown bread) Nothing fancy. Just a good hearty meal. I'll be in Galway Friday. Have heard good things about the likes of The Cellar, Buskers, The Front Door, Cafe Express and The Kings Head. Can anyone vote for one of these or recommend somewhere else? I'm a food lover :) Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Personally I lIke the front door, but McCambridges is also worth a try.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

JillyQ wrote: »
    Personally I lIke the front door, but McCambridges is also worth a try.

Thank you, keep them coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

McSwiggans, Eyre St..

feargale wrote: »
    McSwiggans, Eyre St..

That's the spot with the big tree up through it isn't it? Beside The Hole in the Wall down Woodquay side? Thank you :)

DVDM93 wrote: »
    That's the spot with the big tree up through it isn't it? Beside The Hole in the Wall down Woodquay side? Thank you :)

Yes it is

• Advertisement

DVDM93 wrote: »

Yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kevthecelt

Massimos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

kevthecelt wrote: »
    Massimos.

Easily the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

An Pucan has great grub these days..Chicken Wings are fantastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

For me, Kelly's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭flynn2426

The cellar, easily for me lovely food and prices not to bad, only thing depending what time u go it's usually very busy

Thanks so much for all the replies, as usual the people of Boards are as helpful even with silly questions like mine :D wouldn't have actually thought about Massimos to be honest, nothing to do with it being a little further down the town but have only ever heard of it being a good pub for Chelsea football fans or nice for a pint the odd time, as random as it sounds but that's been my only association with it :) I'm curious and interested now, and two of ye have recommended it. Not surprised to see The Cellar mentioned as I've heard good reports in the past. Funnily enough I've always been meaning to try the pub grub in An Púcán since it was done up, liked the look of the new menu, how silly it sounds but it completely slipped my mind as I only had a pint or two there Saturday for the start of my work party :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wowee

Blakes on Eglington St is the best-no doubt about it. Great staff too and lovely open fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Dàil bar and Blake's do so a steak and pint for €17... Can't be beaten for me...,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

wowee wrote: »
    Blakes on Eglington St is the best-no doubt about it. Great staff too and lovely open fire

Blakes and Massimo hands down. None of the places you mentioned OP, they aren't bad but they aren't great either. :)

The Atlantic seafood board in Blakes is sublime. They do traditional but excellent bar food. Massimo is a more modern but great ingredients and lunch deal is superb there, soup and very good sandwich + tea/coffee for 10 bucks.

edit: I hear the new bar in the Meyrick is quite nice food, lovely inside but haven't tried it myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ach sure I remember when pub grub was a pickled egg from the jar behind the bar.
    None of this gastro-pub nonsense.

Thanks for all the suggestions :)

biko wrote: »
    Ach sure I remember when pub grub was a pickled egg from the jar behind the bar.

Moe Szyslack eat your heart out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I was going to say Blakes on Eglington Street too. Great food and awful nice staff. Any food myself or my family have eaten there has been extremely tasty, always love going there.

I was going to say Blakes on Eglington Street too. Great food and awful nice staff. Any food myself or my family have eaten there has been extremely tasty, always love going there.

Blakes is edging it at the moment friends. Who will be the winner by Friday? Chicken soup with nice buttered brown bread, a sandwich made up of chicken, cheddar cheese, stuffing and a bit of mayo in the nicest bread is taking my fancy at the moment. Nommmmm.

• Advertisement

No anti recommendations please.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Most places have moved on. You can get a packet of Taytos now,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

feargale wrote: »
    You can get a packet of Taytos now,

Many pubs you can't even get that. Pringles for €2? They're reformed potato saw dust. Down with that sort of thing!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Blakes is easily the winner here.

I know we're not allowed to anti-recommend so I will only say that my experiences in trendy hipster style gastro-pubs in galway have always been really disappointing, the menu looks great but then the service is painfully slow (over an hour for a burger) and the food shockingly bland and overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

The Oslo out in Salthill, great place for lunch and the match at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

The Oslo out in Salthill, great place for lunch and the match at the weekend

Try their steak sandwich! I'm a connoisseur and the last time I had one there (2 months ago?) it was one of the best.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Try their steak sandwich! I'm a connoisseur and the last time I had one there (2 months ago?) it was one of the best.

Krcma steak sandwich. For a few moments I saw beefy Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I really like kings head but...

And if ever a thread needed a poll. Can OP/Mod put one in??

Blakes is easily the winner here.

I know we're not allowed to anti-recommend so I will only say that my experiences in trendy hipster style gastro-pubs in galway have always been really disappointing, the menu looks great but then the service is painfully slow (over an hour for a burger) and the food shockingly bland and overpriced.

Thankfully Massimo isnt like your description, great and friendly service, fairly priced food and amazingly tasty. Want their Pork Belly Bap right now, dang.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Thankfully Massimo isnt like your description, great and friendly service, fairly priced food and amazingly tasty. Want their Pork Belly Bap right now, dang.

I'm making no further comment but needless to say that has not been my experience the several times I've been there. But the fact that you immediately mentioned one of the places I was referring to says a lot I think.:)

Advertisement