Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

doz wrote: »
    Ah anybody can say that with the benefit of hindsight. At the start of the year I think most people would agree that we weren't in the Championship race and that we had new players that needed to be given a chance to get a few games under their belt and establish themselves. That was achieved IMO and those players will be better for it come next year. The year can't have become a failure solely on the basis that the form book for other counties went out the window.
    Motivator wrote: »
    One bad game in 6 months of hurling & Waterford weren't at the races? Come off it, the Clare game is classed as a disaster but only the 2nd half was. Some good hurling was played in the 1st half. Waterford gave everything against kilkenny nobody could have given anymore nor could anyone have done better than the players that played that night. The Offaly & Westmeath games were all about the result not the performance, away qualifier games at small grounds always are. The league this year showed this Waterford team were up for it & there were some very good performances in those games. One bad half against a better Clare team on the day doesn't mean Waterford weren't at the races for the year.

Jesus this is amazing, 1 month ago Waterford fans were the proudest people in Ireland but now we're crap again all of a sudden? I'm missing something here.

I'm sorry guys, this might be a bitter pill to swallow, but we're simply not good enough and getting left behind. Time to be objective here, we are *almost* beating teams, while other teams we would have perceived to be in and around our level *are* beating teams. People can celebrate moral victories and near misses all they want, and while I will acknowledge the positives from such performances, objectively they are still failures. This may be harsh, but it is also true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

I'm sorry guys, this might be a bitter pill to swallow, but we're simply not good enough and getting left behind. Time to be objective here, we are *almost* beating teams, while other teams we would have perceived to be in and around our level *are* beating teams. People can celebrate moral victories and near misses all they want, and while I will acknowledge the positives from such performances, objectively they are still failures. This may be harsh, but it is also true.

I don't think you can superimpose and apply a winning standard/mentality onto a team that wasn't winning in the first place. Ryan inherited a difficult situation and it was always going to take time to improve it. But I agree with you to the extent that I do tend to think that from next year we don't have those excuses to fall back on. I think it's clear to see that the potential is there but it now has to be delivered upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

I don't think you can superimpose and apply a winning standard/mentality onto a team that wasn't winning in the first place. Ryan inherited a difficult situation and it was always going to take time to improve it. But I agree with you to the extent that I do tend to think that from next year we don't have those excuses to fall back on. I think it's clear to see that the potential is there but it now has to be delivered upon.

I think the right manager can.Before JBM, Cork had never beaten the top four in a knockout game under walsh.

We had one false dawn against Tipp,where that was not the real tipp team.

Cork had a poor leauge campaign but never panicked.The fans had concerns,but always knew it was a three year plan.

JBM got these players that lost so many minors,and u 21 games by single scores to actually winning games again.

Most of these guys that had no success at underage,were huge players at CIT and UCC,as Ger cunnigham and Pat mulchay knew what they were doing.

Whatever the rights,and wrongs,of Ryans situation,knowing from expierence with cork,once the dressing room is lost,you will never get the trust and belief back.

Ryan shoudnt put hes name forward again.We had the same with Gerald Mac.Out of sheer defiance and allegiance to the board he went for another term.

Justin stood hes ground in limerick,didnt help them.
    In the long run,a new manager and a fresh start is better for waterford.Yere underage at schools,minor etc is much better than Cork.What saved us,and gave us some breathing space,was JBM.

The problem is we wont always have him.

I think the right manager can.Before JBM, Cork had never beaten the top four in a knockout game under walsh.

We had one false dawn against Tipp,where that was not the real tipp team.

Cork had a poor leauge campaign but never panicked.The fans had concerns,but always knew it was a three year plan.

JBM got these players that lost so many minors,and u 21 games by single scores to actually winning games again.

Most of these guys that had no success at underage,were huge players at CIT and UCC,as Ger cunnigham and Pat mulchay knew what they were doing.

Whatever the rights,and wrongs,of Ryans situation,knowing from expierence with cork,once the dressing room is lost,you will never get the trust and belief back.

Ryan shoudnt put hes name forward again.We had the same with Gerald Mac.Out of sheer defiance and allegiance to the board he went for another term.

Justin stood hes ground in limerick,didnt help them.
    In the long run,a new manager and a fresh start is better for waterford.Yere underage at schools,minor etc is much better than Cork.What saved us,and gave us some breathing space,was JBM.

The problem is we wont always have him.

Unfortunately there aren't too many JBM's out there and our CB certainly doesn't have the finances nor the wherewithal to locate one. There is none within the county IMO.

I'm not suggesting that Ryan go for it again, I think it would be unwise in the extreme and agree totally about the dressing room aspect, but what I am fed up of is people here having a go at Ryan because we didn't win anything or saying we had a bad year because KK weren't the imperious side they once were. What team judges it's season on the failings of another team???

As the former county board chairman stated, we can only hope that the players have some plan to raise the finances to get the big name manager that they want but considering they couldn't even organise a meeting properly I think that's unlikely. I can't see the team making any significant progress under the management of the likely candidates and I am worried about where the panel goes from here given the split this whole sorry mess has caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Unfortunately there aren't too many JBM's out there and our CB certainly doesn't have the finances nor the wherewithal to locate one.

Nor the wherewithal to realise this either, and delegate the task properly to those who do, alas..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Late Late show by Passage beats Mount Sion tonight. Another good result for queallys men tonight as they will play Ballygunner in the final game top of the table.

Goals coming from Eoin Kelly, John Whitty for Passage and Mount Sions from Michael Gaffney and Sean Ryan.

Mount Sion led by a single point at halftime.Led by four when Ryan scored to make it 2-12 to 1-11 with 10 mins to go. But in the last 5 mins, Passage scored 1-4 without reply to take home the spoils.

This result puts a lot of pressure on both teams tomorrow as a defeat for either (and even a draw for Ballygunner) would mean they cannot finish in the top 2.

Also, if Abbeyside win, the Gunners will be in 5th position and so a win tomorrow is crucial or else they will not be able to qualify no matter what result they get the following weekend as I understand that it comes down to head to head. In that scenario, Dungarvan would have 5 points, Abbeyside 4, and Ballygunner 2 and so even if Dungarvan beat A'side and B'Gunner beat Passage they would still lose out as Abbeyside beat them.

The permutations of a Dungarvan loss would be that the Gunners and Abbeyside have 4 and Dungarvan 3, and so an Abbeyside win would see last years County finalists out of the compeition. Once again group 2 is likely to have an unbelieveable finish just like last year!

All this means that tomorrow's game in Fraher Field at 7pm should be a fantastic game :)

Abbeyside 6-20 Roanmore 0-12

5 goals from Pudge Hurney in a ridiculously one sided scoreline. I know it's been said many times on here but I really do think they need to reconsider the number of senior teams in the championship. The last three years have seen some savage beatings being handed out to Roanmore, Dunhill, an Rinn, Stradbally and Ballyduff Lower and you really would have to wonder what is being gained by these teams. Would an 8 team group with a top 4 in the semis and bottom two in a relegation playoff be a better structure or even two groups of five and four going through?

Might make the trip for tomorrow's game, could be a cracker. Truly time for Ballygunner to shake themselves into gear or it will have been a truly embarrassing championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

ok minor game tommorow, let move back to whats important ,who are we getting ,,can we do it ,is there a better fancied opposition side?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Liberty Way

Don't think Mullane will be part of any management plans that Derek McGrath may have in the future due to the De La Salle training bust up when players had to seperate the two last week!!!!

What about kevin ryan,?now with Antrim and with Carlow before.

Is he rated,and hes a waterford man.

• Advertisement

What about kevin ryan,?now with Antrim and with Carlow before.

Is he rated,and hes a waterford man.

If you were to select the candidate with the most intercounty experience from within the county then he would certainly be at the top of the list. Did a decent job with Carlow in my view and John Meyler has continued his good work. I could be wrong but I believe he has gone for the job before and not been chosen. I would certainly rather him than some of the other names within the county being bandied around at the moment.

If you were to select the candidate with the most intercounty experience from within the county then he would certainly be at the top of the list. Did a decent job with Carlow in my view and John Meyler has continued his good work. I could be wrong but I believe he has gone for the job before and not been chosen. I would certainly rather him than some of the other names within the county being bandied around at the moment.

Yeah i heard he done superb work their,and is a young progressive coach.
    And as you mention Myler,another good coach with excellent record ,and does coaching for more the hurling than the money side.

One guy that might nt cost money is JJ Doyle of wexford.Im shocked he hasnt been mentioned.

Done superb with wexford 3 in a row camoige,and the U21 team in hes first year.

Dunne has the gig in wexford for a while yet so im sure doyle would love to get a senior job even as coach.
    Okay wexford camoige were beaten today,but they were woeful at the start of the year,and only for him retaking the job in july,woudnt got this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Cake Man

ok minor game tommorow, let move back to whats important ,who are we getting ,,can we do it ,is there a better fancied opposition side?

I'd like Limerick to beat Galway tbh. I think the lads would relish another crack at Limerick to get revenge for the whole Munster final debacle. I think the lads would need no motivation if we were to play them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

JJ Doyle is a very good shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Yea he put his name forward when Michael ryan got it but obviously wasn't preferred. He would have been my own first choice for the job at the time I was disappointed he didnt get it. I Know he did great things with oulart the ballagh in wexford to the point that a lot of their players wanted him to put his name forward for the county job but for some reason he didnt. Cant see him getting it this time they obviously didnt rate him before cant see whats changed since

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

It'll be strange in the Fraher Field tonight with all of Abbeyside roaring on Dungarvan.

cornerboy wrote: »
    It'll be strange in the Fraher Field tonight with all of Abbeyside roaring on Dungarvan.

Well, maybe not. They have the chance to knock their rivals out next weekend if they should lose tonight.

Confidence in the Abbeyside club must be pretty high after their last two results.

Kinda hoping limerick don't win the minor game, wouldn't be good for us if both sides got through

• Registered Users Posts: 37,752 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cork and limerick would sell out croke park on there own. So tickets will be hard to get anyway but limerick will bring a huge crowd and so would cork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Cork and limerick would sell out croke park on there own. So tickets will be hard to get anyway but limerick will bring a huge crowd and so would cork

Kinda resigned i wont get a ticket but as long as the lads win thats all that matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Feckin longer to wait :pac:

Well, maybe not. They have the chance to knock their rivals out next weekend if they should lose tonight.

Confidence in the Abbeyside club must be pretty high after their last two results.

Abbeyside have always been fairly solid, if not spectacular, but I think their position is more indicative of how poor Ballygunner have been. All not well in the camp there from what I've heard. Their form is inexplicable considering the quality they have available.

Abbeyside have always been fairly solid, if not spectacular, but I think their position is more indicative of how poor Ballygunner have been. All not well in the camp there from what I've heard. Their form is inexplicable considering the quality they have available.

I agree with you, but the manner in which they beat BG and Roanmore is quite alarming. They deserve credit for that.

given I live in dubland, might hang around the big tree and wait for someones car to break down ,always a few spares if you hang around,there was the last time

PTH2009 wrote: »

Has an AI ever not been a sellout?

I agree with you, but the manner in which they beat BG and Roanmore is quite alarming. They deserve credit for that.

I didn't mean to belittle their victories as they have put up very impressive scores but you would have to question what is going on at Ballygunner and whether Roanmore should be playing senior at all. Dungarvan and Passage put big scores past them already and Mount Sion likely to do the same in the last round.

You would expect a big display from Ballygunner tonight but Dungarvan are going well and will smell blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Galway minors were impressive in how they dug out that win in extra time as limerick extremely hard team to shake off as we know. We are definetly capable of beating them though the thing id be worried about is on the line. Mattie murphy is a shrewd operator and has this system down to a fine art. Our fellahs I worry do they have a clue what their at to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

Just saw Davy Fitz on the line in Croker wearing a white Waterford like jersey..........scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭parish girl

cornerboy wrote: »
    Just saw Davy Fitz on the line in Croker wearing a white Waterford like jersey..........scary.

Pity he was nt. He had Clare well prepared. Good one Davy:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Pity he was nt. He had Clare well prepared. Good one Davy:)

Fcuk that forever. Limerick were absolutely shocking as much as Clare played well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement