Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Earliest bus from Tyrrellspass to Athlone

• 28-01-2013 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

I was looking at buseireann and citylink websites and the earliest bus that would get into Athlone would get there at 8:50 with citylink which is too late.
    Is there any earlier buses that pass by Tyrrellspass going to Athlone?
    They'd probably be Dublin to Galway buses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

www.a-b.ie says that Citylink you listed is the earliest there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

pretty dismal service from Bus Éireann to and from Galway, Waterford to dublin has three night time buses which are usually empty but a major hub like Galway linking several major towns is left with a very basic 9-5 type service!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

foggy_lad wrote: »
    pretty dismal service from Bus Éireann to and from Galway, Waterford to dublin has three night time buses which are usually empty but a major hub like Galway linking several major towns is left with a very basic 9-5 type service!
    Completely wrong. The number 20 serves GMIT, Loughrea, Ballinasloe, Athlone and Dublin every hour on the half hour from 6:30 till 20:30. Nothing 9-5 about that.

As for night time services, Citylink have a stopping service at 01:00 and express services to Dublin at 01:15, 02:15 and 05:15.

Gobus have Dublin express services at 01:45, 03:45 and 05:45.

Buslink.ie serves Oranmore at night-time every hour from 20:30 to 02:30 and Athenry every two hours from 20:30 to 02:30.

The private operators have opened up routes that Bus Eireann won't/can't/are not allowed to. Remember that Bus Eireann responded to (Citylink) competition by introducing the X51 express to Limerick, but then sure you have people complaining that CIE shouldn't be running buses and trains to Limerick and competing with each other :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Useless to me though.
    I want to get from Tyrrellspass to Athlone early in the morning and theres nothing.
    The earliest one arrives in Athlone at 8:50 and thats with citylink which is just too late if you need to be in for 9.
    The earliest bus on buseireann doesn't even stop in Tyrrellspass.
    So I have to agree with the other guy.
    It is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Useless to me though.
    I want to get from Tyrrellspass to Athlone early in the morning and theres nothing.
    The earliest one arrives in Athlone at 8:50 and thats with citylink which is just too late if you need to be in for 9.
    It is useless.
    Agree that it doesn't help you. I was responding to the general point that was being made.

However, I wouldn't label a service as useless, because it doesn't take me from where I am to where I want to go, at a time I want to go at. I would suspect that if there was demand for it a service would be provided - either by BE or by a private operator.

There is a gap in the market - but I don't think there's a market in that gap - and obviously the private operators and BE don't think so either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Useless to me though.
    It is useless.

But how many other people need to make that trip by bus?

This is the problem - people expect public transport to fit around their exact requirements even though that may not match very many others.

The service is hardly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can I just ask where in Athlone because I think citylink drop by AIT first if that's any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Its Ericsson Software Campus in Athlone.

Advertisement