Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Laois 1-08 Clare 1-09

It will be close but does sound quite bad alright. Will be nice if Daly's Dublin beat Tipp, think they are 9 points up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

eroo wrote: »
    Laois 1-08 Clare 1-09

It will be close but does sound quite bad alright. Will be nice if Daly's Dublin beat Tipp, think they are 9 points up.

****ing hell Eroo, I was doing my best to avoid the Dublin/Tipp score. :(

Orizio wrote: »
    ****ing hell Eroo, I was doing my best to avoid the Dublin/Tipp score. :(

If you didn't want spoilers you shouldn't have been looking on a GAA forum - but sorry anyways!:o

If you didn't want spoilers you shouldn't have been looking on a GAA forum - but sorry anyways!:o

Yeah, silly me, not knowing there would be discussion of a match between Dublin and Tipp in the Clare GAA thread... :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Close, but that might be the wake-up call they need.

• Advertisement

Yeah, silly me, not knowing there would be discussion of a match between Dublin and Tipp in the Clare GAA thread... :D;)

Well seeing as a Clare man is in charge of the Dubs the chances were 50/50!:D

Another win for Clare, but was quite close. Hopefully younger lads got a good run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Fairly piled on the points according to RTE's as it happened page:
    RTE.ie wrote:
    4.08pm - Pluckly Laois go down fighting at Portlaoise with Clare winning by 2-111 to 1-10.

Cork v Clare - take two
    05 March 2010

After the senior hurling challenge to mark the official switching on of their new floodlights was postponed last month due to fog, Fermoy GAA are hoping the weather won't stop tomorrow night's rescheduled game between Cork and Clare from going ahead.

The game has a 7.30pm throw-in at Fitzgerald Park, and Fermoy PRO Tommy O'Brien is expecting a big turnout for the meeting of the Munster rivals.

"After all the preparation, it was a bitter blow that the game didn't go ahead as planned initially, but there was nothing we could do about it, so we simply had to take it on the chin," O'Brien told the Corkman.

"We tried to get an alternative venue on the night seeing as Clare had made the long journey down, but it was never an option really, and I suppose it was just as well in hindsight that we weren't successful in that regard.

"It would have defeated the whole purpose of the thing had the game been staged elsewhere, and we are delighted, and extremely grateful to Cork and Clare, that we are able to host it under lights on Saturday night.."

He added: "Cork have already played two games in the league, but they weren't really tested by Offaly and Limerick, and they will surely benefit from another outing before they get down to the serious business against Kilkenny.

"It's an important game for Clare also because they won't be getting enough games against quality opposition in Division 2."
    http://www.hoganstand.com/Clare/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=124939

Besides Mr.O'Brien's typical Cork bluntness, I had not even heard a thing about the cancelled fixture!

Looking forward to this fixture as it is our first major test of the season. Cork will be hoping for a win seeing as we are Div2.. it should be interesting but I do think we can beat Cork..a difference of 1-2 points.

A draw for Clare against Wexford means the battle for promotion is not going to be straight forward. Next up we have Antrim which should be another interesting fixture.

It's good to see no losses but it's also great to see that Div 2 is not a walk in the park as many would have believed! Younger lads are getting blooded in tough games which imo is a bit better than Div 1, where they would be in at the deep end immeadiately.

Clare's NFL campaign is going very very well with 4 wins from 4. Div 4 title and promotion looks quite possible and is great for our football team!! Kilmurry-Ibrickane currently 5 points down against St.Galls's.. hopefully a first All Ireland club football title will be won.

All in all, things are going well in the Banner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Two good wins today in the hurling and football. Hopefully we now have two managerment teams in place that will stay for the long term and bulid solid teams.

• Advertisement

For anyone interested, the Clare Minors played the Cork Minors down in Cork on Saturday afternoon and lost by 6-7 points.

With a close win over Carlow today, we are in the lead in Div 2. It's good to see the likes of Colin Ryan notching up scores. Next up Westmeath.. and nothing is certain after they managed a one point victory over Antrim in this round.

Clare are having an amazing stretch in Div 4. 8 from 8, and next up is Limerick. Here's hoping onwards and upwards!!
    For anyone interested, the Clare Minors played the Cork Minors down in Cork on Saturday afternoon and lost by 6-7 points.

That reminds me.. did the senior sides play that friendly I mentioned a few posts back?

It appears a Division 2 final is now certain after defeating Westmeath 4-19 to 3-15 on Saturday. Colin Ryan having another great game scoring 1-9.

It was disappointing to see our footballers suffer their first defeat in Div 4. Limerick 0-14 to our 2-7, very close indeed! Off to Waterford next for what is an important game for the footballers.. promotion is at stake.

Conceeding 3-15 to Westmeath is pretty funny.

Conceeding 3-15 to Westmeath is pretty funny.

Well conceeding 1-14 against a Limerick side made up of B team players can be seen as pretty funny too.

But I'm taking the positive things.. granted Tuohy didn't have a great day guarding the net but that aside we did well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Well conceeding 1-14 against a Limerick side made up of B team players can be seen as pretty funny too.

But I'm taking the positive things.. granted Tuohy didn't have a great day guarding the net but that aside we did well.
    Dont fall for it.Clare could surprise people this year. Nothing expected of em. Won an U21 All Ireland against KK.Lets see

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    Dont fall for it.Clare could surprise people this year. Nothing expected of em. Won an U21 All Ireland against KK.Lets see

Wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if Clare did 'suprise people this year'...but conceeding 3-15 against Westmeath is still damn funny. :p

Wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if Clare did 'suprise people this year'...but conceeding 3-15 against Westmeath is still damn funny. :p

Didn't I cover this already?

Didn't I cover this already?

I'm teasing, jesus.

(and no, conceeding 15-16 points to Limerick, which most Div 1 teams have conceeded to them so far this season, is not as embarassing as conceeding 20+ to a Westmeath, who even by their own not very good standards, are in atrocious form)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭deccy15

Clare leading Waterford 1-3 to 0-5 after 20 mins!! trailed 0-5 to 0-1 early!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Any score update lads? Cant stream Clare Fm here at work for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭deccy15

0-11 to 1-3 to waterford at h-t!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Any score update lads? Cant stream Clare Fm here at work for some reason.

I think its Waterford 0-11 Clare 1-3. Try WLRfm for the commentary, it might be biased to us Blaa's but at least you might be able to listen

Clare/Cork Minor footballers on furing the week in Ennis. Cork have been weak at this grade for a good while, and apparently our two best players are out so might be a chance of a Clare victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ballygowan2L

deisedude wrote: »
    Clare will be bringing in a good few of the U21 team this year so you might have the scenario where a few lads will be facing into their first championship game having only played against the likes of Kildare and Westmeath. Thats a serious baptism of fire IMO. I don't think challenge games really compensate, a lot of teams dont go full out in those games
    Yes i agree deisedude...these lads will have no idea what hit them if they face into any of the big teams. These games in division 2 for the clare lads are only challenges really and they will have to keep their heads and not get carried away. All they have to do is look at the kind of hurling being played in div 1. These div 1 matches are the most intensive brilliant matches that i have seen in the league in years. The cork/tipp game was a great example of this. Some excellent hurling and the cork players reaction after winning was like they had one the all ireland semi final. This shows how teams are beginning to take the league a bit more seriously. However its hard to tell if this intensity in the league will be a good or bad thing for these teams. Will they gain momentum and confidence or will they suffer from fatigue during the championship leaving the door open for a fitter team like clare to progress beyond them???? only time will tell i think but overall the difference in class between div 1 and div 2 is massive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ballygowan2L

Clare/Cork Minor footballers on furing the week in Ennis. Cork have been weak at this grade for a good while, and apparently our two best players are out so might be a chance of a Clare victory.
    I wouldnt be so sure about that mate. The whole process of choosing and training the best minors in clare was an absolute shambles this year. Due to management problems trials and training for the clare minors did not start until well after the christmas holidays. Therefore only one trial was held in order for a team to be picked with the managers not knowing or not having seen before the vast majority of the players that tryed out. Naturally enough the selection process was a disgrace leaving some of the best talent in the county unnoticed and sent home. It is impossible to choose the best possible team in the county based on a flimsy game played at one trial. However weak cork are, clare are weaker trust me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Any account on the Minor game tonight, Clare V Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Any account on the Minor game tonight, Clare V Waterford.

Clare 4-10 Waterford 1-06. Very disappointing overall, we were only 2 behind at half time.

Well it has turned out to be a very disappointing start to the year for Clare GAA. Kilmurry-Ibrickane lose the final, the footballers narrowly miss out on NFL promotion despite a great season and the hurlers lose the final and hopes of promotion.

However, I will take positives from where I see them.

The footballers had a good season only conceding 1 goal in the league. Next year they should be striving to break the lock and get promoted. More importantly, they should now be hungry for competition in Munster this summer. Here's hoping they prepare well for Waterford!

The hurlers.. well there are quite a few positives. Younger players have come up against squads with experience in senior inter county competition. They are not learning from playing the likes of Galway, Cork, Kilkenny and Tipp though. However, the squad is being developed. The Long Term Player Development module seems to be in place and is working well. The squad are fitter and stronger than last year so they are developing quite well physically. Skill and experience need development. Next year they should get promotion. The main thing is that Ger O'Loughlin is given 3 years to develop this squad GRADUALY. Too many expect too much, too soon.

Here's to the future.. Munster is only a month away, don't rule us out entirely;)

• Advertisement

The footballers face Waterford tomorrow in the Munster SFC Quarter Final. They will be eager to get revenge on Waterford after the League campaign ending in such a disappointing manner. Kick off is at 3pm in Dungarvan. Here's hoping the lads get a win, however close it may be..

The Clare senior hurlers lost to Tipperary on Thursday evening in a low key challenge match, with the final score being 1-16 to 1-15. Gerry O'Grady has been forced to leave the panel after his ankle inury returning. James McInerney is a very serious injury concern right now while doubt remains over Nicky O'Connell, Alan Markham and Domhnaill O'Donovan. These are worrying developments, but we will keep hope nonetheless :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement