Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clamping help

• 08-12-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello and sorry for disturbing,

I have a query in regards with Apcoa, clamping nightmare.

Last Monday my car broke down near Dundrum and was trawled home by Bray Assistance (alternator died) - even though I have an underground parking spot I had to use a visitor spot as the car was not starting. Of course, texted them to register the car with the visitor spot until (the 4th day) I received an answer like "This vehicle registration has exceeded the number of visitor parking requests for this site". Naturally, immediately after (3AM) I got clamped.

I honestly believe I was unfairly clamped and of course appealed but it takes 28 days for them to process the appeal. I'm planning to offer the car for free (Ford Focus 1999 hatchback) to a scrapyard or a garage that would be able to pick it up.

Problem is that it's clamped, any idea on how to proceed in this case? They're simply behaving like loan-sharks, pay us and we'll unclamp and the only way to appeal is with them, there's no independent arbitrage apparently. Might is right in their view and in all honesty I don't think that's fair hence the question.

Any chance for a piece of advice (or a garage/scrapyard able to help or offer some insight here)?

Many many thanks in advance, I'm rather heartbroken about this.
    Adrian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'd have thought that an alternator would be a cheap and easy fix? Have you looked into getting it repaired? I know someone that would possibly be interested in taking the car if you have already got sorted with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,222 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Oh, just cut the bloody thing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

endacl wrote: »
    Oh, just cut the bloody thing off.

Sadly that is the only way to proceed without paying the fine because the clampers will not remove it until the fine is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

if you where planning on giving it away for free....
    leave it there...
    whats the need to have it unclamped?? whats the rush?
    play them at their own game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Let them know that the car is bolloxed and won't be in use anytime soon, and thank them for the extra security. Won't be long removing it then i bet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 amorroxic

Thank you very much lads, much appreciated. Yeah, I'll wait a little, what kills me to be honest is the 120 eur / day counter ticking.
    Anyway, as mentioned initially I'll offer it for free to a scrapyard/garage that needs parts as long as they can organize picking it up.

Then I'll stand to fight for the principle afterwards - it's just not normal to succumb to practices almost similar to racketeering really.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If you dont need the car, just leave it clamped. They wont be taking things further. They never do. Where are u based? Maybe someone on here has a magic wand.

Yeah, it's the only option I have anyway. I'm in Milltown, the car is parked on the Mount St. Annes premises.

Cheers & best regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

No point getting it de-clamped if you are going to give it away anyway...just leave it there, check regularly, and I bet the clamp gets removed once they realise you aren't paying.

Thanks for all the help - all sorted. Long story short, maybe this helps someone: dealing with parking companies like Apcoa feels like dealing with Al Capone. It's just brute force on their part with absolutely no oversight from the Dublin City Council. There is no independent arbitrage on appeals. They clamp, they decide. Actually appeals seem to be considered some annoying spam they receive every now and then.

Don't give up and talk facts to them. I myself at the end of the day decided to just forget about it all and ended up settling at 120 eur but it was getting ridiculous, they tend to compute 120 eur x whatever number of days like we're all Saint Tropez millionaires and no sane arguments in the world could change this approach. Personal note, clamping at 3.30AM is just worth a smile.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

amorroxic wrote: »
    . ended up settling at 120 eur but it was getting ridiculous, QUOTE]

Disappointed with this approach to be honest. They got your money, they will continue to clamp people with no oversight. You came on here, asked advice, people told you EXACTLY what to do. You ignored it, and then complained at the end of it.

Not my intention to offend anyone honestly, please accept my apologies if I did. Any other time I'd probably have gone that route, the waiting game. I'm incredibly busy during this period though and will be flying in a few days, simply had no more energy to stand up.

But I get your point and you're right. Looking forward I will just shut up on this and try to assist other people in the future as you lads took the time to do that for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Not my intention to offend anyone honestly, please accept my apologies if I did. Any other time I'd probably have gone that route, the waiting game. I'm incredibly busy during this period though and will be flying in a few days, simply had no more energy to stand up.

But I get your point and you're right. Looking forward I will just shut up on this and try to assist other people in the future as you lads took the time to do that for me.

OP, you haven't offended anyone, but there is no point looking for help here if you're going to fold anyway and give the excuse that you're busy. All you had to do was nothing, nada, zilch. You didn't care about the car. You offered it for free to take away. You had nothing to lose. You gave the clampers exactly what they wanted when you held all the cards. Paying them makes no sense and borders on trolling.

--- later edit ---
    Let's try to produce some value out of this for an eventual future reader:

1. Forum posters are empathetic and genuinely helpful. Ask here before paying, in this case because of the advice I was able to fight my way from 6-700 eur to 120. The moment you pay you can kiss your appeal good bye. Makes no difference if you're right or wrong.
    2. Some people were able to avoid paying anything altogether apparently. It comes down to how strong willed you are.
    3. Expect to be treated like garbage by the company. Arm yourself with patience, there's nothing that can happen to you on the long run.
    4. Send your complaint in written form too. Your emails have a very good chance of getting into Apcoa's spam box.

--- end edit ---

Oh man. As I said you're right, I got it, plain stupidity on my part and mea culpa at the end. What possibly more can I say to apologize - if that's the case - for wasting your efforts to explain maybe?

Need the full story? Property management was bashing my landlord for me occupying a visitor spot and I was being at the receiving end.

Lame on my part? Absolutely, no doubt and will have a different approach next time. I was wrong, can we please move on now?

best regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Oh man. As I said you're right, I got it, plain stupidity on my part and mea culpa at the end. What possibly more can I say to apologize - if that's the case - for wasting your efforts to explain maybe?

Need the full story? Property management was bashing my landlord for me occupying a visitor spot and I was being at the receiving end.

Lame on my part? Absolutely, no doubt and will have a different approach next time. I was wrong, can we please move on now?

best regards.

OP, you done right. it's all well and good coming on here saying you'd fight APCOA to the bitter end, but some people have lives to live too and if you were happy to end all the shenanigans for the price of €120 and a bit of a lesson learned, then more power to you. you fought your corner and got a compromised solution that you were happy with, nothing wrong with that!

Advertisement