Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feedback thread for Season 5 - Modding

• 16-06-2015 2:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok; new mod in the forum (Me!) and I've seen some positive and negative feedback on modding going around as well. So how did you (in general) find the modding for this season? Was it to hard? To relaxed? To slow? Something you'd wish to see improved/stop doing etc. once we come to season 6 (with or without the new book)?

We're not promising we'll change anything but we'd like your input so please do try to keep it specific as possible and constructive (i.e. posting "Mods sux" will not really help us to improve anything while "Mods are too strict on not allowing the red font" would be). As always make sure to keep it civil at all times and do try to avoid personal attacks as I hate to have to delete/hand out cards for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The only real issue was spoilers and keeping readers/non-readers apart, which will be less of an issue from now on, obviously. I thought the mods kept on top of the issue pretty well and seemed to respond quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Perfect as far as I can see, I tried to make one of those book reader asking threads last year and it was shut down. Things are being more adhered to than last season.

I got one infraction for accidentaly not noticing that it was the non reader thread and messaged you to apologise and you were very nice about it. Overall big improvement and an improving community.

One thing that is starting to annoy me is people asking "so why do you watch it?" Type things if you criticise it which I think is a bit inflammatory. It's 5 seasons into the biggest show on the planet. We know why everyone watches, that doesn't mean they can't find things wrong with it. Seems like a cheap way of getting out of discussing the negative aspects of the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I didnt like how accusations started to fly in the predictions for episode 9 thread.

I suddenly became paranoid as I didnt know if it was me being addressed or not and then I deleted my posts.

I was afraid if I got it right by accident I would be banned. Totally over the top threat IMO.

Liam O wrote: »
    One thing that is starting to annoy me is people asking "so why do you watch it?" Type things if you criticise it which I think is a bit inflammatory. It's 5 seasons into the biggest show on the planet. We know why everyone watches, that doesn't mean they can't find things wrong with it. Seems like a cheap way of getting out of discussing the negative aspects of the show.

No more annoying than people who ONLY criticise the show, and do nothing but complain about every episode every week.

Some of us enjoy it and to have each and every aspect dissed simply because it is different to the book is ridiculous. Its putting me off the forum as a whole tbh because its becoming so negative.

Its fine to say why you dont like something but some of the latest negative criticisms have been childish to say the least.

MrWalsh wrote: »
    No more annoying than people who ONLY criticise the show, and do nothing but complain about every episode every week.

Some of us enjoy it and to have each and every aspect dissed simply because it is different to the book is ridiculous. Its putting me off the forum as a whole tbh because its becoming so negative.

Its fine to say why you dont like something but some of the latest negative criticisms have been childish to say the least.

So you can't discuss a different viewpoint to you? I watch the show because it's an adaptation of my favourite books and some of my favourite characters. If I think they aren't handling them well I'm within my rights to say so. Saying "why do you still watch?" is incredibly condescending and brings down the level of discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So you can't discuss a different viewpoint to you? I watch the show because it's an adaptation of my favourite books and some of my favourite characters. If I think they aren't handling them well I'm within my rights to say so. Saying "why do you still watch?" is incredibly condescending and brings down the level of discussion.

There are certain posters who's sole reason, it seems, is to come in and totally slate every episode (NOT criticise, not point out differences to the books that they don't like, just SLATE the show, it's a thing, it's called hatewatching, and it's irksome - I do think mods should do more (not only on the GOT forum, but the TV forums in general tbh)).

Yeah, there are annoying things, but seriously, if a person is watching something then going online to pretty much write off everything about it then the question is legit.

Where is the discussion when every post is a litany of complaints.

In your own recent post history in that forum I fail to see anything positive said. At all. How is that discussion?

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Where is the discussion when every post is a litany of complaints.

In your own recent post history in that forum I fail to see anything positive said. At all. How is that discussion?

You must not be reading very closely.

I literally went through every single storyline in the last episode and gave an opinion on it. Nobody quoted it and 7 people thanked it. I gave credit where I felt it was due but it wasn't a good episode for me. By your reasoning I should stop watching and posting. If people who saw the negative side of the show were stopped posting/stopped watching there'd be like 4 posts in the readers thread every week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

People please return to the topic of modding and less discussion on how or what people should or should not post regarding their feelings on the show please.

Walsh; I'll follow up with you separately in case no one else brings up that specific thread (or if it is brought up by more I'll do a general discussion on it)

//MOD

Id like the hate watching modded more closely as it is bringing too much negativity into the forum and ruining it for the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Also another question which came up a few times in season 5 how do you want the funny picture thread to be handled? When should the latest episode meme's be allowed to posted in the general one vs. the episode specific threads?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Nody wrote: »
    Also another question which came up a few times in season 5 how do you want the funny picture thread to be handled? When should the latest episode meme's be allowed to posted in the general one vs. the episode specific threads?

After it's aired monday night would make sense imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Nody wrote: »

10pm on Monday is fair game on the meme thread, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Obviously it's not going to be as big an issue now going on into season 6, but as a non-book reader the amount of readers that were in 'our' threads really riled me this year.

But compliments to the mods on how it was dealt with, and I've no real issue with anything else - I'd agree as soon as the Monday episode is aired is a sensible time for the humour thread to become 'fair game'.

The hate-watching (never heard that term before this thread) does grind my gears a bit too, but I find it very easy to skip over posts that I don't want to read, so it's not that big an issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I think the modding has been absolutely grand, it's a tough gig and I just want to say thanks for keeping the place running very smoothly :)

I tended to avoid the "Funny" thread until I watched the episode. In theory bringing in a time ban of say 10pm on Monday after Sky Atlantic makes sense but if somebody sees something before hand and can't link it they may forget to post it later. No strong feelings either way as it'll be my own fault if I click into the thread without thinking.

As a book reader I actually thought there was a lot less bookreaders in disguise in the non-readers threads while Nody swooped in quickly on other occasions. The way this season went though some things were heavily signposted and non readers could come up with accurate theories by themselves. It's probably hard not to be paranoid though if I hadn't read the books, I know I probably would be :pac:

Unless The Winds of Winter (Book 6) is released before April next year then there really is no issue for now as the show is probably level/ahead in basically every story. Or has a different story altogether. We'll all be in the dark minus a few lingering theories from the books.

I imagine I could be placed under this "hatewatching" thing that's been thrown out because I have criticised the direction of some of the plots taken by the show in comparison to the books but I certainly wouldn't think I have, I do like the show and if it didn't exist I'd have never read the books. The idea of the book readers threads is so that those who have read the books can discuss the episode and by extension compare and contrast. This is a discussion forum and that's the purpose. I like to think I always gave credit for the things I liked too. I just want the wider audience to see some of the stories that I enjoyed. Anyway I think the modding when it comes to robust discussions has been handled well, as in there isn't really any visible modding done. And that's what you want :)

It's nice to have this forum and I think it's been running smoother than ever, whether that's down to the posters or the modding I don't know but we'll say both.

I didn't particularly like the predictions for the next episode threads that cropped up in the last few weeks but then again I was under no obligation to read them. I like not having the * in "My Forums" though :o

If I think of anything else I'll add it in :)

Oh one thing, and I'm not sure if it's a huge issue, but can we put discussion of "next time on..." previews, trailers of the new seasons, casting of new characters and all "future events" into their own thread?

I, and others I know, switch off immediately the episodes end, not wanting to see the previews, never watch trailers and don't read casting news - preferring to watch the episodes "clean" with absolutely no prior knowledge.

I'm a book reader, and still find this kind of annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Would agree with that. The cliffhanger over Baristan was spoiled this season by posters talking about a post show comment from the actor. Wouldn't take much for them to have a little consideration but if they can't do that then just have a separate thread for it.

On the criticism point, I think genuine criticism is good for discussion but when every post starts along the lines 'I have given up on the show, this is the last week I am going to watch' yet the poster is there week after week years later it's not genuine.

Agree re future events. The Barristan one was spoiled for me also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The fact that it was mentioned in the season finale thread that Kit Harrington stated he was finished with Game of Thrones was a tad unfortunate,not sure if I'm correct in making this statement.Presumed it was the case given the conclusion to the season finale.It opened a whole can of worms/speculation re his fate and I never tend to source any information re future episodes/seasons of the show outside of the non book readers episode threads.Apologies if I'm mistaken re this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yeah, to echo above sentiments: I think anything not in the episodes themselves should be spoilered whether it be pre/post-episode cast, writer, producer interviews, "last week on...", previews etc.

Have had no issues with modding this season though I can't speak for the non-reader threads.

Think the book related question/answer thread is a great idea, as I did last year when a user started one got closed. Good to see mod's being willing to listen to poster requests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

To be honest, I stayed off the forums more this season because of the leaks. It made discussing the show and making predictions very stilted.

There was no way of knowing if a person would spoil me with actual TV knowledge. Im a book reader so I stayed to those threads but I still want to enjoy the show at its regular Monday morning pace.

I don't think this is a modding issue. In fact when I started a predictions thread for the last episodes it was pointed out that some of the show had leaked, which was a great warning, but effectively that fact killed off any speculation. Those who were afraid of being spoiled didn't engage and those who made predictions were concerned that they would be accused of spoiling if they predicted correctly.

during the first four weeks it was hard to be near the forum at all.

Im interested to know, from boards admin / mods point of view how you feel the leaks affected forum participation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

I think the modding has been of a good standard. I don't know if this is a mod issue but I would like to see the episode threads without polls. I think it's a fairly recent development. My dislike of polls is based on experience of the Lost forum where the poll scores became a talking point instead of the episode. In general there is quite a high standard of contributions in this forum and I'd be worried the polls could dilute or distract from that.

yeah, they are pointless really. What puspose do they serve? I always click a random number anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Even public polls would be an improvement. Being able to take into account those who actually posted in the thread and described why did they did/didn't like it while leaving out those who come in and thoughtlessly vote a 1 or a 10 without contributing.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

As a book reader I actually thought there was a lot less bookreaders in disguise in the non-readers threads while Nody swooped in quickly on other occasions.

*Fewer.

I'm very sorry. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

*Fewer.

I'm very sorry. :o

BURN!

Ok, let me summarize my initial thoughts (which will be discussed with the other mods before implemented!) for season 6:

1) We'll keep two separate threads for each episode as there are still old spoilers people may not want to read and certain hints that certain stories from the books are going to go live in there that "should" have been in season 5; same as we had in season 5

2) There will be the option to create a "Future episode X" thread for each episode; anything basically goes in the threads in terms of speculation and news / interviews and the thread title will require the standard "Contains spoilers" tag; anyone complaining about things being spoilered in them will be ignored basically

3) Any spoilers from interviews etc. posted before or after in the episodal threads will be met with a 1 day ban and escalating in duration (this became rampant towards the end of season 5)

4) There will be two Season 7 threads for people to speculate what's going to happen in season 7 available from day 1; this thread will require
    tags and appropriate explanation without giving the spoiler away what's being spoilered

5) The Funny gif thread will have the deadline of 10pm GMT/BST / 11pm CET Monday of the episode for the latest episode's meme's to be posted. We'll aim to move them from the episode thread to the funny thread on Tuesday morning to let everyone see them

6) Voting on episode; public voting is definitively out exactly because people will start challenging the users of why they keep on watching and always giving low scores etc. At this stage I'm inclined to simply leave it out completely as it did not add a whole lot to the episode 10 discussion but open to change my mind on the topic

7) In terms of modding keeping it pretty much as is with exception for point 3 as there's now a clear place to post them

8) In regards to people being negative; if there's a clear trend by a poster to constantly complain and moan in one / two sentence posts they'll be given an informal warning to be constructive and if it continues they'll start getting cards etc. If they are constructive in their complaints then it's fair game

What about Season 6?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement