Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 shot dead at Batman showing in Denver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

wonder why he did it

Expect to hear the usual violent films,video games and music excuses rolled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

mup wrote: »
    I have lived in America. I have American friends and I have read more American literature than most. My American friends would agree that their country is completely backward on gun legislation and that the majority of Americans are completely ignorant of anything that doesn't have anything to do with America. Have you ever seen the percentages of them who don't own passports? My friends consider themselves in the minority of intelligent, free-thinking and cultured American. I'm not perpetuating a stereotype, I'm speaking from experience. Interesting how you claim I must not know Americans, have been to America or read American literature, based completely on one post. Who's really stereotyping?

That's great that your friends think they're better than the majority of Americans. They sound awesome. To say the majority of Americans are completely ignorant of anything that doesn't involve American is, well, ignorant !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

old hippy wrote: »
    And what kind of culture creates such monsters? Such sickness?

That's a pretty big question, and way out of my area of expertise. But the best answer I can give is that I don't know, but equally I don't know of any culture which does not. Pretty much every human culture, modern or otherwise, has produced people who commit atrocities, both against babies and other people in general. We're a very imperfect species.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jessica Redfield - a victim whose last tweet simply read:
    @jessespector MOVIE DOESN'T START FOR 20 MINUTES

@jessespector then confirmed she was shot and killed at the screening.. he's since removed that tweet!

Expect to hear the usual violent films,video games and music excuses rolled out.

if i hear video games :mad:

• Advertisement

fair play to those swat guys, they must have balls of steel.

Who knows whats behind those windows.

Ah shut up, you smarmy twat.

So glad you care enough to comment. I'll take it as a compliment.

Back to sleep now napper..

Jake1 wrote: »
    fair play to those swat guys, they must have balls of steel.

Who knows whats behind those windows.

HERE HERE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I am pie wrote: »
    That's great that your friends think they're better than the majority of Americans. They sound awesome. To say the majority of Americans are completely ignorant of anything that doesn't involve American is, well, ignorant !

Indeed, America the land of the brave and free, created by people who fled from oppression and tyranny. They have their country the way they want it and it is not for us to lecture them. Having travelled in extensively in the US and regularly interacting with Americans they would buy and sell your average Irish person. To label American's ignorant is well really well exposing ones own prejudices and ignorance and Anti-Americanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mup

That is not in anyway ignorant. Ignorance is defined as a lack of knowledge or information. Americans, yes the majority, are very ignorant to other cultures(they have little or no knowledge, it's not a choice but a result of their inward culture). It is a majority and I'm sure statistics will back this up. The reason my friends are not in this uncultured majority is that they have choosen to travel, read and educate themselves further after college or high school. Check the stats for reading numbers and passports in America. They are in the minority and it is not pretentious for them to consider themselves as such.

• Advertisement

hey im a loner i take offence sky news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Stinicker wrote: »
    Indeed, America the land of the brave and free, created by people who fled from oppression and tyranny. They have their country the way they want it and it is not for us to lecture them. Having travelled in extensively in the US and regularly interacting with Americans they would buy and sell your average Irish person. To label American's ignorant is well really well exposing ones own prejudices and ignorance and Anti-Americanism.

We only know the stereotype from the media outlets and their shows/movies. So I agree once you haven't lived at 'ground level' with them you can't really comment (that's in general, not you!).

But I'll stick to my "guns are bad" point of view. Their "right to bear arms" needs to be reassessed I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭splashthecash

seamus wrote: »
    A child, not a baby. Lots of confusion when Americans refer to children under 8 as "little baby girl".

This is probably the source of the "A baby was shot at point blank range" rumour. I would imagine if an actual baby had been shot dead it would be reported by now.

All we know at the moment is of a 3-month-old that's critical and we've no idea if that child was deliberately shot or was hit by a stray bullet.

This is a terrible event and it has really saddened me, all those poor people just going along to see a flick the same way I will be on Monday.

On a separate note, what in the name of God is a 3 month old doing at a midnight showing of a film??....apparently I should add

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

No offense but kids come before any movie, so there is no excuses full stop for a 3 month old or six year old to be at the cinema after 9 at night never mind midnight.

If you want the social life dont have kids.

Society just makes excuses.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Doesn't harm kids once in a while. Some of my best childhood memories are to do with getting to stay up late and doing something adult like that. Not that a three month old would remember it but they are very portable.

You're making a trip to the cinema sound like some sort of debauched outing. It might have been the parents first night out since the baby was born, or a breastfeeding mother who got a chance to go out and a dark cinema is some place you could feed a baby without too many disapproving looks.

Lighten up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I have lived in America. I have American friends and I have read more American literature than most. My American friends would agree that their country is completely backward on gun legislation and that the majority of Americans are completely ignorant of anything that doesn't have anything to do with America. Have you ever seen the percentages of them who don't own passports? My friends consider themselves in the minority of intelligent, free-thinking and cultured American. I'm not perpetuating a stereotype, I'm speaking from experience. Interesting how you claim I must not know Americans, have been to America or read American literature, based completely on one post. Who's really stereotyping?

Well, I'm speaking from experience too. Your generalising about America led me to believe you were looking down on an entire nation. My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've found that people that live in big cities like New York barely know what's happening outside of that city never mind the rest of the world. I think there's just so much happening in big cities like that they don't have time to consider what the rest of the world is up too. Sure they may hear some news stories but they're just that a story on TV.

See my post above. I labelled them as ignorant of other cultures. That is true, I love Americans, even the poorly educated redneck Americans. I find them to be great company, both interesting and entertaining. That doesn't mean I can't notice that they have no real clue about anything outside of America. Please fully read my posts before responding as such. I don't mean that to sound pedantic but it's not fair to comment if you haven't fully read what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭tigger123

That is not in anyway ignorant. Ignorance is defined as a lack of knowledge or information. Americans, yes the majority, are very ignorant to other cultures(they have little or no knowledge, it's not a choice but a result of their inward culture). It is a majority and I'm sure statistics will back this up. The reason my friends are not in this uncultured majority is that they have choosen to travel, read and educate themselves further after college or high school. Check the stats for reading numbers and passports in America. They are in the minority and it is not pretentious for them to consider themselves as such.

Jesus Christ ... generalise much? You're talking about a country with (approx) 250 million people ... but you have them all summed up? And what does owning a passport have to do with anything?

"Ignorance ... defined as a lack of knowledge or information."

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Op was about people being shot at cinema not about babies or children being there (it's been mentioned now a few times). The merits about the rights and wrongs of that can be posted elsewhere. The fall down here is on humanity and not laws etc. Making it harder for a person like this to get a gun won't stop them from finding another means to end life. If people want to go out and kill they will find away.

Traumatic for the peole involved and their famillies. A simple escape like goig to the cinema can turn into this nightmare.

To be honest, I don't agree with this either. "Americans/Irish are cleverer than" type conversations are pretty pointless wouldn't you say? We're two advanced nations in terms of education and have our own unique set of advantages and disadvantages as a society. Scoring them in an ad hoc way and trying to come up with a winner is so meaningless.

I think their gun laws should be tighter, but I tend genuinely think the person who wanted to carry out this carnage would have regardless on whether they could get hold of a gun as easily. They might have resorted to using petrol bombs/molotov cocktails or an illegal fire arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

See my post above. I labelled them as ignorant of other cultures.
    But Americas full of just about every culture from around the world and have distinct cultures of their own from state to state. I don't think they're that ignorant of other cultures but that there are many culture clashes due to the melting pot of a country they have.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Guns don't kill, people do! That's what I love about the US their individual freedoms enshrined in their constitution, if this happened here the lunatic would probably get released after 10 or 15 years in jail. Over in America he will be executed.

So this individual's freedom would not, in fact, be guaranteed by the American constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

crusher000 wrote: »
    Op was about people being shot at cinema not about babies or children being there (it's been mentioned now a few times). The merits about the rights and wrongs of that can be posted elsewhere. The fall down here is on humanity and not laws etc. Making it harder for a person like this to get a gun won't stop them from finding another means to end life. If people want to go out and kill they will find away.

Traumatic for the peole involved and their famillies. A simple escape like goig to the cinema can turn into this nightmare.

Threads, like conversations, can go off at tangents connected to the original OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One witness claims to have seen someone take a phone call at the start of the movie and leave by the emergency exit, leaving it open.

This is the way the shooter allegedly came in.

Possibly an accomplice, or perhaps the shooter himself had been in the cinema, then pretended to take a call and went out the exit so that he could get back in that way.

His car was parked right beside the exit, so that's what he may have done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

See my post above. I labelled them as ignorant of other cultures. That is true, I love Americans, even the poorly educated redneck Americans. I find them to be great company, both interesting and entertaining. That doesn't mean I can't notice that they have no real clue about anything outside of America. Please fully read my posts before responding as such. I don't mean that to sound pedantic but it's not fair to comment if you haven't fully read what I said.

Come on, now. Plenty of folk here and elsewhere are ignorant of other cultures. It's not just confined to some Americans.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Some of the comments here are sickening. I don't expect to change the outlook of someone who has a defective enough personality to make such comments. I've never understood the premise of trolling, it's certainly not for well educated or intelligent people. It seems to have its roots in shocking people with outlandish comments. You have an anonymous username and nobody knows who you are, what enjoyment can you get from shocking people who have no idea who you are? Your only impact is to annoy people with sick jokes. If your 'coping mechanism' is 'gallows humour' then surely there is somewhere else ye can all be moved, where people of a decent moral grounding, empathy and compassion don't have to be upset by your comments.

Using multiple killings as a base for a cheap laugh is disgusting. I understand humour is subjective and I would consider myself quite dark but to make light of a shooting like this where a baby has suffered really forces me to wonder where we, as a society, are headed. I realise time will pass and jokes will be made about this but in the immediate aftermath it is tactless.

I know I don't know any of these people personally and have no way of proving but I would imagine that they lead very sad lives or no lives outside of internet chatrooms and forums at all if this is how they choose to interact. I know I will be the subject of their vitriol now and I accept that but I couldn't read those comments without saying my piece.

My more pressing concern is how the US will react to this. I hope that it will be a catalyst for changing gun legislation but fear it will be swept under the rug under the heading of "Terrorism/Extremism". Nobody can comment for certain but I do believe if it were not for the easy availability and lax restrictions on firearms possession in America, this would not have happened.

I know you are an infrequent poster on boards.ie, but I strongly encourage you to post more often. Very well said.

tigger123 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ ... generalise much? You're talking about a country with (approx) 250 million people ... but you have them all summed up? And what does owning a passport have to do with anything?

"Ignorance ... defined as a lack of knowledge or information."

Of course I am generalising, I have never claimed not to be. How could you possibly know how everyone in a country so big thinks. However, I have lived there for quite some time, from deep south to east and west coasts. Generally, the people I meet are ignorant of other cultures. The majority are. The passport statistics backs up my point that they don't travel outside of America, hence the inward culture. They see only America and it's not hard to see why. It is the most powerful, famous country in the world. As Irish, we always want to travel to see other places because we are a small country. For Americans, they need only travel from one coast to another in their own country for a completely different culture. I'm sorry but in my opinion, the majority of Americans are clueless about other cultures.

I see you've defined ignorance again but I do not understand why.

Scanner says report of some distressed parent heading up to scene, possibly with fire arm.

heading to ICU

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

chin_grin wrote: »
    But I'll stick to my "guns are bad" point of view. Their "right to bear arms" needs to be reassessed I think!
    That's a very simplistic point of view. Ireland has pretty strict gun control, yet we regularly have "gang land" shootings. The UK has pretty strict gun control too and equally gets plenty. And don't forget the decades of violence in the north, again with strong gun control.

The fact is that this guy created and executed a plan to kill a large number of people. He could quite easily have filled a backpack with home made explosives and ball bearings, he could have flown an airplane into the building, he could have set fire to the cinema. There's any number of ways he could have carried out an attack.

The root problem is that planned and carried out such an attack, not the actual method he chose to implement it. There's no evidence to suggest that if that method was unavailable that he would not have just used some other method.

There are countless examples of people who chose to commit mass murder and used something other than guns. Are there any examples of people who chose to commit mass murder, but didn't bother because getting a gun would be difficult?

Similarly there are plenty of places where gun ownership is as common as the US, and they don't have the same issues with gun violence, or violence of any type.

Lack gun control isn't the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Always amazes me how people can find things to argue about in a thread like this.

Horrific thing to happen.

Advertisement