Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

It is announced that Ireland WILL hold referendum on EU fiscal compact treaty

• 28-02-2012 3:18pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 265 Mod ✭✭✭✭OSI

I look forward to the €1 minimum wage, compulsory German and Irish Army in every war arguments that are sure to be the highlight of the No campaign.

http://www.thejournal.ie/government-confirms-referendum-on-eu-fiscal-compact-treaty-368394-Feb2012/
    THE TAOISEACH HAS confirmed that there will be a referendum held to ratify the EU fiscal compact treaty.
    Enda Kenny informed the Dáil this afternoon that the Attorney General had advised the cabinet this morning that “on balance” a referendum is required on the fiscal compact agreement that was finalised by EU leaders earlier this month.
    “Ratification on this treaty will be another important step in the rebuilding of Ireland’s economy,” the Taoiseach said.
    He said that “it is in Ireland’s national interest that this treaty be approved.”
    Kenny said that he intends to sign the treaty at a meeting of EU leaders in Brussels this Friday but that the people will be required to give their authorisation in a referendum. There was no details on the nature of the question that will be asked.
    The Taoiseach said that arrangements for the referendum will be finalised “in the coming weeks.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-announces-referendum-on-fiscal-compact-541541.html

The Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore have announced that the country is to have a referendum on the European Fiscal Compact Treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Take that, establishment!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Yeh well Yes to Lisbon, really did get us jobs didn't it.....

:rolleyes:

Vote no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

This will not end well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Let the bull**** campaigns begin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Just tell us where you want the X this time & save us the re-voting & 3 months of debate about abortions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

will we have to vote yes after two or three no vote results?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,013 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

NO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

patwicklow wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/taoiseach-announces-referendum-on-fiscal-compact-541541.html

The Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore have announced that the country is to have a referendum on the European Fiscal Compact Treaty.

O' this should be fun! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

In simple terms what is this referendum about and why should I vote yes or no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Vote Yes or the country is FECKED

Vote No or the country is FECKED

Hmmmm

I will vote no twice like last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

NO

Tree Fiddy says you don't even know what you're saying no to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

No point voting no.

They will just keep running it over and over until they get the result that they want - just like the last time.

Great democracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Vote Yes or the country is FECKED

Vote No or the country is FECKED

Hmmmm

spoil vote?

how about adding a second question on the ballot paper

leave the eurozone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm surprised Eamon Gilmore wants this. Wasn't Labour all about "the people"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Obviously the government have their heads so far up their own arses that they are now completely detached from reality and have no realisation that there will be a resounding NO vote in this.

I understand that ireland needs a Yes vote however i'm going to vote No, just to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,316 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If we do send back a no vote, what are the implications?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

James. wrote: »
    No point voting no.

They will just keep running it over and over until they get the result that they want - just like the last time.

Great democracy

Not necessarily. The treaty could go ahead without Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Amazing how people already know how they will be voting No despite not knowing the question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Vote yes for jobs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

CJC999 wrote: »
    Obviously the government have their heads so far up their own arses that they are now completely detached from reality and have no realisation that there will be a resounding NO vote in this.

I understand that ireland needs a Yes vote however i'm going to vote No, just to see what happens.

A gambling man. I like your style :D

Odds of it passing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I fully expect the No brigade to win out, which would be a desparate shame but at very least (as the country reverts to an economic ice age) it'll be funny to see the look of confusion and panic spread across their deluded mugs once they realise the implications of 'going it alone'

Viva the revolution. I'll be elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

There a postal vote option for a referendum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

i can see the polling cards now

the'll either only have 2 Yes options, only have one yes option or its a precompleted form with yes selected for you by default

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

OSI wrote: »
    I look forward to the €1 minimum wage, compulsory German and Irish Army in every war arguments that are sure to be the highlight of the No campaign.

http://www.thejournal.ie/government-confirms-referendum-on-eu-fiscal-compact-treaty-368394-Feb2012/

From the people who brought you Vote Yes for Jobs and Nice Treaty Mk II comes the Fiscal Compact Treaty! Vote No til you vote Yes!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

So it's just me who's going to be laughing all the way to the ballot box with my no vote.

If I tick the X for no and also add in a few long paragraphs of abuse does my vote still count as a no?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

How can he sign the treaty without first getting the referendum done. Seems to be forgetting who his employers are.

*sharpens up vote*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Kenny said that he intends to sign the treaty at a meeting of EU leaders in Brussels this Friday but that the people will be required to give their authorisation in a referendum. There was no details on the nature of the question that will be asked.
    The Taoiseach said that arrangements for the referendum will be finalised “in the coming weeks.”

Is he not 'jumping the gun' slightly in signing this Friday?
    Is this not tantamount to an illegal action seeing as the referendum has not taken place yet, thus giving him the authorisation to do so (or told not to!) ?

• Advertisement

Faolchu wrote: »
    i can see the polling cards now

the'll either only have 2 Yes options, only have one yes option or its a precompleted form with yes selected for you by default

We will use more ink.....

Advertisement