Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Re: PS Vita... Is it trolling if...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

honestly: i would love to play my xbox games on my pc. i would use xbox controller for that too. on the other side, that could damage "PC gaming" as developers will just do a 360 limited game for pc and xbox, which will mean: enchanced PC versions of games will be a history.

Well if it's real, it will likely coincide with the next iteration of Xbox. I don't think they'd run the risk of hurting Xbox 360 console sales until the console has been discontinued. It'd be purely a thing of convenience :)

Also, it could be an avenue out of having the successor to the 360 having to be backwards compatible I suppose.

But to return to topic, there is definitely scope for a Vita price drop. Even if they break even on make a small loss on console sales, it'd do far more damage long term to let it hang on a low sales/high profit model.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Played around with one today. Very nice piece of gear to be honest, and that's coming from someone who hasn't owned a handheld since the original Game Boy. Build quality seems great yet it's remarkably light for the size of the device. Screen is beautiful and the hardware controls are solid. Only played Uncharted for a bit, the touch controls did seem a bit forced gameplay wise but were still responsive. Gotta say it's incredibly impressive for a handheld. :o

Definitely going to pick one up down the line. The price doesn't bother me so much, more the backlog of games I have at the moment. Can't say I didn't laugh when I saw the memory card prices but I'd wager they'll come down sooner and sharper than the console in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

But how many?? I'm considering swapping my 360 for a ps3 if that's the case!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I thought the memory cards were quite reasonable, 20 quid for 4gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

http://www.gamestop.ie/core/common/default.aspx?quickSearch=PS%20Vita

Gamestop (online) have their prices up. € 244.97 for the Wifi console, €47.97 for Uncharted/FIFA and €47.97 for the 16gb memory card - which lets face it, you're going to need if you're going to be downloading games. It'll still be more expensive in a bricks and mortar shop.

So you're looking at the guts of €400 for the console, a memory card and two games. I'm going to be waiting for a price drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

http://www.gamestop.ie/core/common/default.aspx?quickSearch=PS%20Vita

Gamestop (online) have their prices up. € 244.97 for the Wifi console, €47.97 for Uncharted/FIFA and €47.97 for the 16gb memory card - which lets face it, you're going to need if you're going to be downloading games. It'll still be more expensive in a bricks and mortar shop.

So you're looking at the guts of €400 for the console, a memory card and two games. I'm going to be waiting for a price drop.

that does add up indeed. i hope there will be some sort of bundles.

on the other hand i would be more then happy with wifi + 4-8gb card +uncharted and with remote play on launch ( i know it wont work with all titles) . that would fit in in to 300eu mark.

Thats what I think. RRP is 250 for the wifi console, 50 for uncharted. Say HMV/somewhere sells uncharted for 45 anyway, thats 295. So maybe they'll include a 4GB stick, knock the price to 280, 290.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

cloud493 wrote: »
    I thought the memory cards were quite reasonable, 20 quid for 4gb.
    Really? €5/GB seems terrible to me. Why did it have to be a proprietary card? Just a quick search shows you can get a 4GB SD or Micro SD card for £4 from Amazon. If it's proprietary just for a piracy reason, I'm sure there's a better and cheaper way around it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why did it have to be a proprietary card?

$$$

When has Sony not tried to dick over customers with crappy proprietary media?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    $$$

I think it has some pretty good read/write speeds, much better than SDHC etc. But it doesn't justify the cost, not by a longshot.

• Advertisement

well 4gb cars is only 17 quid now. it would be more then enough for few songs, save games and a game or two.

i think people are blowing an elephant out of the mouse. Yes, it is annoying you can get it for 10eu less, but it really not the major issue with ps vita.

i got bigger card for 3ds too, but it came with 2gb one. i still dont know why the **** did i bought bigger one as i did not even reached 1gb usage on that 8gb card...

well 4gb cars is only 17 quid now. it would be more then enough for few songs, save games and a game or two.

i think people are blowing an elephant out of the mouse. Yes, it is annoying you can get it for 10eu less, but it really not the major issue with ps vita.

i got bigger card for 3ds too, but it came with 2gb one. i still dont know why the **** did i bought bigger one as i did not even reached 1gb usage on that 8gb card...

It should at minimum, be bundled with the already overpriced console itself

The 3DS was more than the Vita at launch, and the vita is signficantly more powerful, with a much better launch line up. And I've said before, I always remember the price the PSP memory sticks cost during the day. Gamestop still sells them for a few bob, 40e for a 4GB PSP stick. So this is quite good.

EnterNow wrote: »
    It should at minimum, be bundled with the already overpriced console itself

i agree with it being bundled with ps vita. atleast some 2gb-4gb yoke.

price wise i dont know. everyone were cheering when they announced price at e3, because everyone expected it to be way higher. i really dont see 250eu being way too much for it. no i am not PS fanboy, i am pc scumbag, so i am not defending it, just for the sake of it.

it will still have internet browser, good quality games, movie and audio playback. you should remember that it is not just a console, its more then that. same way as ps3, playing games is just one of the option you can do with that piece of equipment.

ever tried to use browser on 3ds? ****ing horrible. PSP browser was way better even with no touchscreen.

p.s. i bought PSP bundle for 300eu when it came out. 300eu for ps VITA + game + memory stick sounds good to me.

Yeah, PSP was... £200 when it came out, off the top of my head? £30 for a game. £30 for a memory stick. So I'm fine with this.

I just checked amazon and there are normal wifi or 3G version and then there is region free jap import for 299£.

So do they have them region locked now? That's a change since ps3... Don't know if I like it.

Console is not locked./

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

E mobile and 48 mobile are giving away free micro sims, you may need a credit/debit card to register on E mobile. Handy if you don't want to go with vodafone. E mobile is on Meteor. 48 are on O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

E mobile and 48 mobile are giving away free micro sims, you may need a credit/debit card to register on E mobile. Handy if you don't want to go with vodafone. E mobile is on Meteor. 48 are on O2.

Those that have imported a 3g to the US from Japan can't get get the 3g to work so using a non-vodafone sim may not work here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

After jumping in, feet first, with the 3DS I think most early adopters have seen enough to wait til summer or, in my case, maybe October next before springing for a Vita, meaning I'll definitely get one but not until there's a better software lineup and until, maybe, v2.0 of the software and perhaps even the hardware is out.
    3DS players would have missed little by waiting a year to get that console, same went for the PS3 and DS.

• Advertisement

http://m.next-gen.biz/news/sony-improves-vita-bundle-fuel-us-demand

They are improving the bundle for US. Looks like everyone is skiping 3G model and going for wifi. ( can't blame them )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I wonder is there an option to route it through your phone via its 3GS and get access that way when you don't have access to wireless like you can with certain ipods.

Although I doubht it as this would lessen the demand for the 3GS model. Would be nice though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Big Knox wrote: »
    I wonder is there an option to route it through your phone via its 3GS and get access that way when you don't have access to wireless like you can with certain ipods.

Although I doubht it as this would lessen the demand for the 3GS model. Would be nice though...

Nothing Sony could do about it. You just need a good enough phone that has the capability to act as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Most smartphones can do this. To the PS Vita, it will appear the same, except slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Otacon wrote: »
    Nothing Sony could do about it. You just need a good enough phone that has the capability to act as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Most smartphones can do this. To the PS Vita, it will appear the same, except slower.

Yeah true enough, they can't exactly block it so looks like this may be a very viable way of using it on 3G with the wifi model.

Sounds good!!

i think that is a great idea, i forgot about it!

if i remember correctly you will be able to play online only with wifi only, so having just wifi model is just plain cheaper and better...

no way i would go for 3g model and have one more bill each month...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Native 3g is limited on the vita but using a phone would allow full online function as long as speed or lag were not restrictive, also newer mobile won't be limited to 3g.

Paying 50 quid extra for 3G seems like crap to me, specially with that download limit. Wifi all the way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    $$$

When they allowed people to use standard laptop hardrives in the PS3 unlike MS and their overpriced 360 storage. ;)

That said its what put me off getting a Vita. Why not let me use the pro-duo from my PSP? :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Touche :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Amazon bundle is very good. Vita wifi, free 8gb memory card and a selected game for £15. Comes to £239.

Edit - game is optional so you can just order the vita and free 8gb memory card for £219

Advertisement