Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Ill take those caffeine drips off ye're hands if ye are not using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

CoderDozer wrote: »
    Ill take those caffeine drips off ye're hands if ye are not using them.
    Nearly there now ... the caffeine comedown is not good !!

And done! ... proper holidays at last, let the brain and liver bleaching process begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

CoderDozer wrote: »
    And done! ... proper holidays at last, let the brain and liver bleaching process begin.

Welcome to the club! Enjoy your downtime ;)

Best of luck with all the placements everyone... hope things go well for ye

• Advertisement

Don,t suppose anyone has come across node.js and how to use it ??

:confused:

Have ye started placement already? jez, I'm still on holidays :D:p

There is a ball of links here that might help - http://stackoverflow.com/a/5511507 - there will never be one comprehensive tutorial, you will probably end up mix and matching.

Also quick question, how is the work placement blog meant to work, wordpress is it? kinda missed that lecture

Have ye started placement already? jez, I'm still on holidays :D:p

There is a ball of links here that might help - http://stackoverflow.com/a/5511507 - there will never be one comprehensive tutorial, you will probably end up mix and matching.

Also quick question, how is the work placement blog meant to work, wordpress is it? kinda missed that lecture

Yes a wordpress blog .. we got emailed a list of supervisors also and you should have gotten an email with details about the blog and a few other documents.

Thanks for the link.

Got an email alright but wasnt too specific on the blog part. So thought it was something that was covered in a lecturer. So Ill just set up a private wordpress.com site so?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Your supervisor has to have access to it to be able to view it each week so I guess you must make it public? Not really sure.

• Advertisement

Got an email alright but wasnt too specific on the blog part. So thought it was something that was covered in a lecturer. So Ill just set up a private wordpress.com site so?

Exactly a private blog that only you and supervisor access , agree a day/time for weekly posts to be submitted by. You should have got an earlier email with links to details of content etc.

Here are the important parts for you

Please make sure you read through the following links. There are some important dates to remember. First up is the work placement plan - http://workplacement.ittdmc.net/semester-2/work-plan/

http://workplacement.ittdmc.net/semester-2/weekly-online-report/ - contains details on what to include in your blog.
    SwDv and Games - yours will differ here in that you will be including code snippets. The digital content only refers to the MM side.

Please make sure you password protect the blog and always clear it with your employer if you are adding sensitive information.

Only your supervisor will be reviewing them. The blogs allow your supervisor to see that you are getting the required experience and will help you to write your report at the end of the placement.

You are expected to act in a professional manner at all times. If you encounter problems during your work placement please contact your academic supervisor or myself.

Your academic supervisors will be allocated shortly. Again, make sure you password protect and do not put any company private information on the blog.

How do you set it up so that only your supervisor can access it?

If you can get to your dashboard (god I ****ing hate wp) go to settings > reading and set "I would like my site to be private, visible only to users I choose". Below that once done (refreshed) there should be a button to "Invite viewers to your blog". Just be careful with the permissions, best to probably setup a dummy a/c to see if it works.

I think you can do private posts instead (if you want to mix public/private??? ) but hardly worth the hassle, this thing will be thrown away once done anyway id say.

siblers wrote: »
    How do you set it up so that only your supervisor can access it?

open dashboard go to settings and then reading and make blog private , then either go to users and invite your supervisor as a visitor or else send them the address of your blog and your username and password

Nice one lads, thanks.
    And yeah wp is a load of ****ing ****.

JFlah wrote: »
    open dashboard go to settings and then reading and make blog private , then either go to users and invite your supervisor as a visitor or else send them the address of your blog and your username and password

My supervisor didn't want anything private, actually he didn't even understand what I was talking about so I left my blog open.
    And yeah wp is a load of ****ing ****.
    Once you get used of WP it's actually a great tool, I love it myself :)

AntiRip wrote: »
    My supervisor didn't want anything private, actually he didn't even understand what I was talking about so I left my blog open.

Once you get used of WP it's actually a great tool, I love it myself :)

I think the planning by college regarding placement, supervisors etc. may have been a little .....ummmmm not clearly thought out

I think the planning by college regarding the computing course was not clearly thought out
    EDITED FOR THE TROOOOTH

I think the planning by college regarding placement, supervisors etc. may have been a little .....ummmmm not clearly thought out

Very very true.

Best of luck with results everyone

• Advertisement

Ugh..dreading them. Definitley failed one, wouldn't be surprised if I had to repeat 2 or 3.

Ugh..dreading them. Definitley failed one, wouldn't be surprised if I had to repeat 2 or 3.

Ah hopefully it won,t be that bad. I think we are all dreading them though everyone seems to be thinking the worst.

And whewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Fair play and well done.
    Have to repeat ****ing java, passed the exam but did so **** in the CAs (would have been nice to know what actual mark I had going into the exam) that it wasn't enough. Rest of them were grand and my average is good enough to get me into 4th year if I pass the repeat. Although if you fail a module, does that stop you from going into 4th year if you're going from an level 07 to level 08?

Have to repeat ****ing java, passed the exam but did so **** in the CAs (would have been nice to know what actual mark I had going into the exam) that it wasn't enough. Rest of them were grand and my average is good enough to get me into 4th year if I pass the repeat. Although if you fail a module, does that stop you from going into 4th year if you're going from an level 07 to level 08?

I,m not 100% sure but I think going into 4th year is based on GPA and having failed a module makes no difference

Yes the lack of knowing where you stood regarding CA marks is totally ridiculous, completely defeats the concept and purpose of continuous assesment!

Hi guys

The thread seems to have died a bit .. How is everyone getting on ??

Can't really say much cause I don't know who is reading this! I wish some first or second years posted in here though

Can't really say much cause I don't know who is reading this! I wish some first or second years posted in here though

Yes definitely needs new blood .. be nice to figure out a way to promote it .

tell em all the answers for the Java modules are here.

• Advertisement

tell em all the answers for the Java modules are here.

Not bad ...

Advertisement