Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Opinicus wrote: »
    Finally finished. 3 months work placement and my final year project left, then freedom.

Well done ! hope it all went well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

JFlah wrote: »
    Well done ! hope it all went well

One exam was touch and go but everything else seemed to be alright. How did things go for yourself?

One exam was touch and go but everything else seemed to be alright. How did things go for yourself?

Grand is best way to describe it did'nt set the world on fire but not worried about any of them

That's good. Few beverages tonight with classmates to relax. The fact that the exams are split before and after Christmas is a balls.

That's good. Few beverages tonight with classmates to relax. The fact that the exams are split before and after Christmas is a balls.
    had all mine after Christmas , sort of ruined things a litttle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

The fact that the exams are split before and after Christmas is a balls.

Can't understand why instead of starting the 3rd week of Sept they can't start on the 1st week. All exams finished before Christmas and everyone gets 5 weeks break before the 2nd Semester. It's much too hard to study over Christmas when family and friends are calling, relatives home from abroad and you down the room missing it all. It's the one thing I do really hate about it. Hopefully next year we don't have 4 exams over Christmas, and nothing as heavy as SAD & DBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Finally finished. 3 months work placement and my final year project left, then freedom.

Had you exams up until now?

Totally agree AntiRip, it must have been an absolute nightmare for the eurasmus students not being able to go home.

AntiRip wrote: »
    Can't understand why instead of starting the 3rd week of Sept they can't start on the 1st week. All exams finished before Christmas and everyone gets 5 weeks break before the 2nd Semester. It's much too hard to study over Christmas when family and friends are calling, relatives home from abroad and you down the room missing it all. It's the one thing I do really hate about it. Hopefully next year we don't have 4 exams over Christmas, and nothing as heavy as SAD & DBC.

Absolutely right a small bit of re-structuring would make life so much easier for everyone.

PS Please don't refer to DBC too much I'm trying to block it out of my mind

I thought we had 2 weeks off. One week off between Sem 1 and Sem 2 is ridiculous.

Anyone got any idea what story is with timetables for year 2 computing with Multimedia they seem .... wrong?

• Advertisement

Looks okay to me. Digital Audio and 2D Animation are electives so you'll only be doing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Critical thinking and Innovation ... hahahaha :pac:

sorry for your troubles, I really am ...

hahahaha :pac:

CoderDozer wrote: »
    Critical thinking and Innovation ... hahahaha :pac:

sorry for your troubles, I really am ...

hahahaha :pac:

How bad is it? Can you give an outline (Is it all reports, projects, etc.)

Didn't know Digital Audio and Animation were electives. We weren't told anything about this. Even heard we had no choice with electives from now on and they were chosen for us

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

AntiRip wrote: »
    How bad is it? Can you give an outline (Is it all reports, projects, etc.)

Didn't know Digital Audio and Animation were electives. We weren't told anything about this. Even heard we had no choice with electives from now on and they were chosen for us

I'm going out on a limb and presuming its on the same lines as entrepreneurship which was put in place in third year, in which case, lots of work for sh!t reward, one of the toughest markers I've come across. I'm not looking forward to February's result is all I'm saying.

I know the 3rd year guys had to do Entrepreneurship this year, I don't think they had any choice.
    I don't recall that critical thinking module either. I think a lot of the changes have to do with the amalgamation/movement of schools over the summer. (Creative Media + Computing)

EDIT: Snap! Coderdozer.

Yeah, I thought it was only Software who get to choose an elective as they are doing algorithms and we aren't.

siblers wrote: »
    Yeah, I thought it was only Software who get to choose an elective as they are doing algorithms and we aren't.

I'm SW so maybe, however some Animation and Audio classes are scheduled for the same time so you can only do one of them anyway. Maybe you won't have a choice but you definitely won't be doing both unless they change the timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gbro800

I hope I'm wrong but I reckon MM students must do both Animation and Digital Audio. That timetable has been changed many times over recent weeks and for a while OOP3 was clashing with another module and it looks like the timetable needs changing again.
    This links will show that MM students must do both modules while Games and SD can choose....
    MM http://goo.gl/DK06d
    GAMES http://goo.gl/TqoIg
    SD http://goo.gl/GiUaA

Also, modules are 5 credits each and we need 30, so thats 6 modules we need to do... its a busy looking timetable so like I said, hope I'm wrong :D

gbro800 wrote: »
    I hope I'm wrong but I reckon MM students must do both Animation and Digital Audio. That timetable has been changed many times over recent weeks and for a while OOP3 was clashing with another module and it looks like the timetable needs changing again.
    This links will show that MM students must do both modules while Games and SD can choose....
    MM http://goo.gl/DK06d
    GAMES http://goo.gl/TqoIg
    SD http://goo.gl/GiUaA

Also, modules are 5 credits each and we need 30, so thats 6 modules we need to do... its a busy looking timetable so like I said, hope I'm wrong :D

Yeah I've just been checking it out it's 6*5 credit modules for mm Digital Audio and 2D Animation are mandatory so the timetable is all over the place really

I remember we had to do algorithms + 1 elective and games had to do Interactive Storytelling + 1 elective so maybe you're right. The timetables a bit odd though. Plus there was only 4/5 of us doing the 2D Animation so things have definitely changed. That Critical thinking module might have done it. I always thought that project was worth 10 credits too?

• Advertisement

What's 2d animation like? Getting kinda worried about this critical thinking module, was expecting it to be a doss. :(

What's 2d animation like? Getting kinda worried about this critical thinking module, was expecting it to be a doss. :(

I thought the animation was fun and interesting, you learn how to use Flash and tweening and storyboarding and stuff like that. If you've used Photoshop or Illustrator you'll be right at home. I think it was 100% CA with 2 projects.

Just my 2 cents but I always find that the more 'cerebral' modules like Critical Thinking etc are often marked harder and the marking seems kind of arbitrary, maybe it's just because I'm more technically minded than creative.

Really could do with another week, depressed thinking about the new semester.

Really could do with another week, depressed thinking about the new semester.

2 weeks definitely isn't enough after missing Christmas and all. I was spoilt last year with 5 weeks off between semesters (including xmas) :-)

Couldn't make it in this morning due to snow, was driving out the driveway and my car was sliding all over the place. Planned to make it in for Digital Audio but I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed.

Couldn't make it in this morning due to snow, was driving out the driveway and my car was sliding all over the place. Planned to make it in for Digital Audio but I couldn't bring myself to get out of bed.

Didn't make it in either today. JW is out today so we only missed Routing and Digital Audio. Timetable change again tomorrow, 2D Animation from 1-3pm. Thursday is a horrendous day again this semester. 9am-6pm, only lunch off.

Yeah Thursday is pretty horrendous, rest of the timetable isn't too bad. Friday is grand really, 11-1 can just be spent doing our own work i'd say.

Yeah Thursday is pretty horrendous, rest of the timetable isn't too bad. Friday is grand really, 11-1 can just be spent doing our own work i'd say.
    Bit of a b***s JW out for at least 2 weeks , am fairly optimistic the this semester will be pretty enjoyable, seems less theory based than last semester at least.

John Walsh is out for 2 weeks? Any idea why?

• Advertisement

John Walsh is out for 2 weeks? Any idea why?

Not too sure but ill

Advertisement