Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mcpa for rushes

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

pakalasa wrote: »
    ...I didn't do acres with the knapsack, only spot sprayed here and there.:D
    I do them every year, just to keep on top of them.

ahaha ah yeah who'd need a sprayer if you get a contracter in with a knapsack on his back :D

reilig wrote: »
    Its definitely not as good as spraying, but it works well enough. 20 litres of gallop for €60 will do 100 acres of land. If you were to buy MCPA to cover all that you'd be out a fortune. If I do them every year with the licker, it should keep them under control.

i bought mcpa (argitox i think is the name of it ) in the ferurary 40euro for a 10 litre drum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

polod wrote: »
    i bought mcpa (argitox i think is the name of it ) in the ferurary 40euro for a 10 litre drum

But how many acres will a 10 litre drum do?

1 litre of gallop wil do 3 to 5 acres with the licker on medium rushes.

johngalway wrote: »
    I've no experience of lickers either, but I'd imagine if the rushes were cut, then licked from two different directions then it'd be pretty effective.

Posted same time Reilig :D

I would have thought the gallup would have killed off the rushes? Hmm, food for thought...

id imagine the licking would be easier on the grass.......and ya could prob lick them with round-up to

reilig wrote: »
    But how many acres will a 10 litre drum do?

1 litre of gallop wil do 3 to 5 acres with the licker on medium rushes.

6 acres........some odds aint there ......... how much is gallop ?

• Advertisement

6 acres........some odds aint there ......... how much is gallop ?

20 litres for €60

have 15 acres of low land to spray ......think im going to chance it today :D

have 15 acres of low land to spray ......think im going to chance it today :D

You might as well if its dry enough. The weather looks to be dry for the next few days anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

id imagine the licking would be easier on the grass.......and ya could prob lick them with round-up to

Yes, that's whatI would have thought too. I sprayed thick, established stands of rushes with Mortone and got a very good kill on the rushes that were there, close to 100%.

Now I see the odd green stem popping up here and there again. Spraying these would be a waste for me, there fore I'll be out with a bucket of round up and a paint roller, same concept before the sniggering starts :p

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭butt1

I SPRAYED 40 ACRES YESTERDAY EVENING,5 LITRES OF MCPA PLUS 300 LITRES WATER,IN 4 ACRE SECTIONS,THEY WOULD WANT TO DIE,AS I SPRAYED SOME OF THE SAME SECTIONS BEFORE,3 LITRES OF MCPA AND 300LITRES OF WATER,GOT NO KILL,FINGERS CROSSED,THE REGROWTH OF RUSHES ARE ABOUT 12 TO 14 INCHES,JESUS IF I COULD GET GRASS TO GROW AS QUICK AS RUSHES,IDE BE LOADED

• Advertisement

butt1 wrote: »
    I SPRAYED 40 ACRES YESTERDAY EVENING,5 LITRES OF MCPA PLUS 300 LITRES WATER,IN 4 ACRE SECTIONS,THEY WOULD WANT TO DIE,AS I SPRAYED SOME OF THE SAME SECTIONS BEFORE,3 LITRES OF MCPA AND 300LITRES OF WATER,GOT NO KILL,FINGERS CROSSED,THE REGROWTH OF RUSHES ARE ABOUT 12 TO 14 INCHES,JESUS IF I COULD GET GRASS TO GROW AS QUICK AS RUSHES,IDE BE LOADED

i sprayed a bit yesterday too i used 10 litres of mcpa in 300 litres of water to 6 acres :D .........this is my first time ever to spray them ...hope its not a waste of money because they got one good shower of rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MJH72

Heard of a rush killer called Buggy. I spoke to some people who used it. Completely killed the rush. Can only be used by a licker. Roco in mountbellew stock it. And you can hire a licker for fifty euro per day. I have a lot of rushes which are very heavy so I am going to spray with MCPA first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

MJH72 wrote: »
    Heard of a rush killer called Buggy. I spoke to some people who used it. Completely killed the rush. Can only be used by a licker. Roco in mountbellew stock it. And you can hire a licker for fifty euro per day. I have a lot of rushes which are very heavy so I am going to spray with MCPA first.
    its probably same as round up or gallup so you cant spray it unless you want to burn off everything, just guessing now, have never actually come across it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

How long do i have to wait before grazing after mcpa application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I checked the label on a drum and it says

"Livestock must be kept out of treated areas until poisonous weeds such as ragwort have died and become unpalatable"

If you dont have ragwort or poisonous weeds then I'd say its up to you since it doesnt say to keep animals away.

I usually leave it for about a month but I spray after grazing and there would be no grass anyway.

Advertisement