Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carbon Monoxide alarm in external boiler house, any point?

• 30-06-2014 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭

I have a spare carbon monoxide alarm that I bought assuming I would need it, but as the only thing that uses gas is my boiler which is housed in an external boiler house I'm left with a rather pricey door-stop.

Is there any advantage to installing the alarm in the boiler house, to notify me of a gas leak?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

mrcheez wrote: »
    I have a spare carbon monoxide alarm that I bought assuming I would need it, but as the only thing that uses gas is my boiler which is housed in an external boiler house I'm left with a rather pricey door-stop.

Is there any advantage to installing the alarm in the boiler house, to notify me of a gas leak?

If you have a anything in the house that uses a flame, then use it there. In fact organic material burning in an oven can produce CO, so with that information, perhaps you will find somewhere useful for it.

Also as far as I know a CO monitor will not notify you of a gas leak.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Hmm nothing that produces a flame except a few candles through the house. I might eventually use the fireplace so I guess it might be some use there for a coal fire?

So you reckon it would be wasted in the boiler house? Would it not be good to know that CO is escaping from the boiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mrcheez wrote: »
    So you reckon it would be wasted in the boiler house? Would it not be good to know that CO is escaping from the boiler?

I would always fit a C.O. alarm in a boiler house if thats where the boiler is.
    If the boiler is producing high levels of C.O. and the levels are concentrated in the boiler house, it may be the only thing that will let you know about it and may possibly save someones life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I would always fit a C.O. alarm in a boiler house if thats where the boiler is.
    If the boiler is producing high levels of C.O. and the levels are concentrated in the boiler house, it may be the only thing that will let you know about it and may possibly save someones life.

+1 , save you walking into a bad situation if your ever in the shed/boiler house

Excellent, thanks. What temperature extremes can these alarms operate in?

The boiler house never really freezes as it's a cosy enough setup and the boiler tends to keep the temperature above freezing with it's built in anti-freeze tech.

Also at what distance/position should I install the alarm relative to the boiler? About 50cm away ok?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

100% install it where you have an open fire, solid fuel fires are statistically the No.1 killer from carbon monoxide in the world!!

For alarm positioning, read the installation manual, as depending on which alarm, there maybe different minimum distances from the appliance (closer ones, are usually better quality CO sensors)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Came across a job where the co alarm went off in a long kitchen/sitting room, alarm was beside stove.
    But no fire lit in weeks.??

Outside oil boiler in attached shed.

Chimney blocked with nest.
    Deadly fumes came back in Cooker extractor which was exiting inside the boiler shed !

Never use an alarm as a door stop.
    Use as many alarms as nessary.
    They DO save lives.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Never use an alarm as a door stop.

Eh i was being sarcastic, I don't think the plastic case would survive a door slamming

Advertisement