Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new powers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Raider190 wrote: »
    Keep the chin up blue top won't be long now end of month is my prediction

You seem to be very accurate with your predictions Raider :rolleyes:
    When the last upskill course finishes in Sept 2013 I would guess that by end of Sept or early Oct the new powers will be granted by the Commissioners.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85895497&postcount=66

• Site Banned Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Raider190

3fullback wrote: »
    You seem to be very accurate with your predictions Raider :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85895497&postcount=66

Can I be blamed for been positive

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

Do Reserves actually care if they get powers or not anyway? If anything has to be done then I'm sure the full time Garda will do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

thestar wrote: »
    Do Reserves actually care if they get powers or not anyway? If anything has to be done then I'm sure the full time Garda will do it?

Yes!
    Especially s.41. A lot of our powers to be are around road traffic FCPS.
    Public order is a tricky one, more paper work and court appearances..
    It's up to you how proactive you are!
    We signed up to make "some" difference.. And help out!
    Nice to share the work load...
    Don't be shy! You'll stick out...

What are the proposed new powers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

If you did the up skill course, you should know.

Very fishy very fishy

Raider190 wrote: »
    Very fishy very fishy

Whats fishy about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Don't be getting too carried away. Increased powers for Reserves is just another Government scam to undermine full time Gardaí pay scales. Reserves will be used more and more to do duties that would have normally done on overtime. We can see the way they are treating new Student Gardaí with pay reductions. It's just a carry on from what they did to the nurses and apprentices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Don't be getting too carried away. Increased powers for Reserves is just another Government scam to undermine full time Gardaí pay scales. Reserves will be used more and more to do duties that would have normally done on overtime. We can see the way they are treating new Student Gardaí with pay reductions. It's just a carry on from what they did to the nurses and apprentices.

Spot on Santa, in a nutshell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

bull****

how can they use GRs to do more duties?

its up to the GRs to turn up. I wont be doin anything more than I usually do. I have a family and career and they come first

GRs are a little extra for the force - the force will always plan without the GR resource. GRs supplement , always have always will

more misguided scaremongering from the illinformed

Absolute rubbish. Another scare mongering comment from the ill informed. Reserves have never been used to undermine anything. We have never taken overtime from regulars , we have nothing to do with pay scales . Why do GRs have to continually hear this type of fuzzy logic . No one with a clear understanding of what the Reseves do would make such a comment and expect to be taken seriously

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Spot on Santa, in a nutshell

Suprised at this canyon86 as you are waiting to join the GR. Is this really what you think ??????

Nobody can argue that a reserve isn't taking overtime from gardai, If a reserve wasn't there then a Garda would be there and he would be getting paid, simple

Nobody can argue that a reserve isn't taking overtime from gardai, If a reserve wasn't there then a Garda would be there and he would be getting paid, simple

you really really have no clue

my unit work off 10members

there will be 10 there today

if i turn up there will be 11

if im not there, there will still be 10

nobody gets sent home if i turn up:rolleyes:

I never said anything about anybody sent home, what I'm saying is that Reserves are taking away from there being more recruitment and taking away from the overtime of members. In saying that, fair play to Reserves, a man's got to do what a man's gotta do.

I never said anything about anybody sent home, what I'm saying is that Reserves are taking away from there being more recruitment and taking away from the overtime of members. In saying that, fair play to Reserves, a man's got to do what a man's gotta do.

again you have no clue

you cannot rely on a GRs attendance. we work when we can. we can alsoleave as we please

so everything is planned without us. (and correctly so)

we supplement, we do not replace. thats the way it always has been and always will be

well if that's the case it's a waste of time in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

If the company dose not want someone there they won't put someone there no matter how understaffed it is. So regardless if a someone comes in and dose the job for nothing if that person left they still would not replace the person.

The GR could stop tomorrow AGS still won't hire any extra staff simple as. As regards O/T the budget for O/T at an event is set at a certain amount say 10,000 euro. AGS will use up till the 10,000 and ask a few Reserves to show there face. If the Reserves don't show up AGS are not going to panic and start handing out O/T to members. The budget has been used up. Even if the Reserve did not exist that budget is still going to be 10,000.

Reserves are exactly that Reserves, like a Reserve water tank or Reserve electricity supply it's a Reserve for when extra supply is needed. It is not intended to be the main supply.

of course it is :rolleyes:

your an armchair general man, we do while you do not

• Advertisement

That's your opinion, my opinion is it could and should be utilised a lot better than it's current state. Reserves could take up roles to free up full time members around the station to have them out on the beat or if a full time member needs to catch up on stuff the reserve should be used to assist in what ever way they can.

Just to add from talking to full time member most of them have excellent ideas and I think there should be a forum held regards the Reserves where full time members can voice there option on the Reserves and exactly what way we could best assist the full time members.

Most members do like the idea of the Reserve but are not exactly sure what it is we should be doing and it's seen as a bit of training exercise going out with us.

If full time members had some input into what we do I am sure we would be a bit better received. There also seems to be some sort of problem around the financial implications of the Reserve, maybe if some members on units that actually want to have an input into Reserve members where given an allowance when out with the Reserve I am sure it would change the financial concern.

msg11, you do make a lot of sense in what you say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

msg11 wrote: »
    There also seems to be some sort of problem around the financial implications of the Reserve, maybe if some members on units that actually want to have an input into Reserve members where given an allowance when out with the Reserve I am sure it would change the financial concern.
    I think if that were to happen GRs would walk away from the organisation in disgust

Scouser wrote: »
    bull****

how can they use GRs to do more duties?

its up to the GRs to turn up. I wont be doin anything more than I usually do. I have a family and career and they come first

GRs are a little extra for the force - the force will always plan without the GR resource. GRs supplement , always have always will

more misguided scaremongering from the illinformed

It's not a bit misguided. I have seen it at venues like Croke Park and the Aviva. Reserves coming in for the day which means that full time Gardaí who were doing this work on overtime previously are left at home instead of getting 8/10 hours overtime on their rest Sunday. They are not supplementing, they are replacing.
    What good is giving Reserves Public Order powers? Are they prepared to take time off work while cases are prosecuted through the District Court and Circuit Court or will they just land the work in on top of the full time Garda?

It's not a bit misguided. I have seen it at venues like Croke Park and the Aviva. Reserves coming in for the day which means that full time Gardaí who were doing this work on overtime previously are left at home instead of getting 8/10 hours overtime on their rest Sunday. They are not supplementing, they are replacing.

complete crap my good man

not true in anyway shape or form

iv worked croker,aviva and 02 tons of times - sometimes making my decision just before parading and never has anyone been sent home

my last outing at the 02 saw all the duties given out - and reserves being spread around ala carte to pressure points. so no provision was made for reserves, so therefore all normal duties manned by fulltimers

What good is giving Reserves Public Order powers? Are they prepared to take time off work while cases are prosecuted through the District Court and Circuit Court or will they just land the work in on top of the full time Garda?

its up to each individual GR isnt it?

iv been landed with work by fulltimers so its a two way street

Scouser wrote: »
    complete crap my good man

not true in anyway shape or form

iv worked croker,aviva and 02 tons of times - sometimes making my decision just before parading and never has anyone been sent home

my last outing at the 02 saw all the duties given out - and reserves being spread around ala carte to pressure points. so no provision was made for reserves, so therefore all normal duties manned by fulltimers

its up to each individual GR isnt it?

iv been landed with work by fulltimers so its a two way street

You would say that.

You would say that.

the truth?

always

An opinion only but from an ill informed and an non experienced point of view. Reserves are used for events when there is no availability of regular members. There are many stations in the country that would be able to fulfil a normal roster if it was not for the reserves turning up forduty

• Advertisement

You have seem??? You are not a reserve or a full time member so how have you seen anything. If a GR makes an arrest it does not mean they have to turn up in court. Amy regular or reserve will know of the procedure I mean and this just reinforces my opinion the you are offering opinions on a subject which you are unqualified to do so.

Advertisement