Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade & Retro Repairs & Mods, all new recipe, with no added MSG...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭badger57

Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, apologies if not!

Just want to know what sort of connections are needed on a TV for a Sega Mega Drive 2?

I'd be playing it on an LCD with antenna/scart/s-video ports etc. Would it work with these connections or are others required?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

badger57 wrote: »
    Hi, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, apologies if not!

Just want to know what sort of connections are needed on a TV for a Sega Mega Drive 2?

I'd be playing it on an LCD with antenna/scart/s-video ports etc. Would it work with these connections or are others required?

I'd get an RGB scart cable if I were you. Trying to play it in RF will make your eyes bleed.

Achilles wrote: »
    I'd get an RGB scart cable if I were you. Trying to play it in RF will make your eyes bleed.

Would an ordinary scart cable with a port connection suffice or do I need to buy a specific one for the Mega Drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Would an ordinary scart cable with a port connection suffice or do I need to buy a specific one for the Mega Drive?

You need a specific Megadrive RGB scart cable. It has a din connection on the back.

They're not expensive, usually about 10 - 15.

Just keep in mind that the Megadrive 1 and the Megadrive 2 have different sized connections. So make sure you buy the correct one for the correct model.

The picture quality really does look beautiful through RGB. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you see it :)

I have a spare RGB scart cable for a model 2 mega drive... I'll swap you a game or two for it.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    You need a specific Megadrive RGB scart cable. It has a din connection on the back.

They're not expensive, usually about 10 - 15.

Just keep in mind that the Megadrive 1 and the Megadrive 2 have different sized connections. So make sure you buy the correct one for the correct model.

The picture quality really does look beautiful through RGB. You'll be pleasantly surprised when you see it :)

Are these available in any electrical shops or do I have to use Amazon?
    Achilles wrote: »
    I have a spare RGB scart cable for a model 2 mega drive... I'll swap you a game or two for it.

Sorry, don't live anywhere near Dublin, thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Are these available in any electrical shops or do I have to use Amazon?

You'll need to order online I'm afraid. Consolegoods.co.uk should have them.

• In case it's of interest to anyone here before i bin it, i have a Slim PS2 plus power adapter which i think has blown a fuse. I plugged it in recently and the power light came on for a second then went dead. As far as i know everything else on it is fine, laser, disc drive, etc. Might be useful for parts or an easy repair job.

If anybody wants it let me know, otherwise I'll chuck it. No charge for boardsies of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Hey all got a used SNES for free today. The guy
    who I got it off said he wasnt sure if it was
    working or not. I was happy to take it and have a
    look either way.

I wasn't expecting it to work at all
    but when I plugged her in she came on.
    Unfortunately thats where the luck ended,
    the console loads my 2 SNES
    games but it loads them really glitchy.

The lower half of the screen on my Prince of Persia
    game loads as glitchy boxes and
    text. However the upper half of the screen
    looks superb. The game itself is Fine
    It runs clear as crystal on my friends
    working console, And i've even cleaned the
    game itself just to be sure and it loads the same.

I've had a go of cleaning the pins in the console but
    That doesnt seem to have had any effect either.

What do you guys think? Is there any hope for giving
    this super little console a new lease of life or has it all but
    kicked it?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Any images?
    Normally random charachters printing on the screen is a bad ROM chip (it is in old computers anyway... cannot be 100% sure as I'v not done a SNES repair except for a new fuse solder so I don't know too much about the PCB inside).
    It's probably replaceable if it is one of those chips that is causing the problem

• Advertisement

Any images?
    Normally random charachters printing on the screen is a bad ROM chip (it is in old computers anyway... cannot be 100% sure as I'v not done a SNES repair except for a new fuse solder so I don't know too much about the PCB inside).
    It's probably replaceable if it is one of those chips that is causing the problem

Not yet but have a digital camera here will post some in a sec.

Master of the Universe

Still sounds like the contacts on the cart slot are dirty. A good way of cleaning them is to get a cloth, put it on a credit card, dip it in some cleaning solution and use that to clean out the slot.

Hey yea I have been giving a go at the credit card
    trick for a while though I admit I dont have the
    recommended rubbing alcohol on hand. Here's
    what It looks like when it loads to the title screen.
    See what ya make of it.

POPsmall.jpg

Master of the Universe

Eeek! That looks a lot worse than dirty contacts alright! With dirty contacts you tend to either just get a black screen on boot or some garbled graphics - but not half the screen like that.

Does the game run as normal, just with a glitchy mess down the bottom like that yeah? I can't say I've ever seen that before, usually Super Nintendos just always work!

Yea It goes right into the game. The screen is equally as garbled in game. Same thing though the top half is pristine and the bottom half is ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

You will find that more than likley the suspect chip will get hot(er) than the others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Figure this is best here..

Does anyone know what to do when the memory in the Pokemon games go? I recently got a few off a friend and the battery is most of them are gone.

Thanks in advance!

Master of the Universe

New battery! :)

If it's like other battery backed up carts, remove the battery from the connector and attach another one.

If you can't solder, you can remove it with a knife and tape another one on.

If there's no battery and it's some kind of RAM save feature, you're boned :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

o1s1n wrote: »
    New battery! :)

If it's like other battery backed up carts, remove the battery from the connector and attach another one.

If you can't solder, you can remove it with a knife and tape another one on.

If there's no battery and it's some kind of RAM save feature, you're boned :(

I'd have no clue how to do that tbh, but as long as it is possible to replace them I'm sure I'll learn.
    Its just Pokemon crystal/silver on Gameboy colour fyi

Thanks

• TheStook wrote: »
    I'd have no clue how to do that tbh, but as long as it is possible to replace them I'm sure I'll learn.
    Its just Pokemon crystal/silver on Gameboy colour fyi

Thanks

http://youtu.be/RsROHA7RUCQ

good tutorial here, handy enough without any soldering involved :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

is surgical spirits the same as rubbing alcohol? wikipedia seems to think so, have a fairly big bottle from when i was healing my stretched lobes until i found out its not good to use, availible in most chemists here.

Quick one for you guys again, I had to replace the fuse in the power supply circuit in my old Playstation 1. The only fuses I was able to find that fit were 1 Amp ones the packet said they were made for shavers.

The Playstation seems to run fine with it anyway but as i'm not really an electronics buff I don't know if It's the wrong type or what. I certainly don't want to do any damage to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Quick one for you guys again, I had to replace the fuse in the power supply circuit in my old Playstation 1. The only fuses I was able to find that fit were 1 Amp ones the packet said they were made for shavers.

The Playstation seems to run fine with it anyway but as i'm not really an electronics buff I don't know if It's the wrong type or what. I certainly don't want to do any damage to it.

You should always use a replacement fuse thats the same value as the original. If this fuse is rated too high, it won't do its job in the event of a problem & it could not only be bad for the console, but potentially dangerous too {fire}. If the value is too low, then the fuse can blow under normal operating conditions

EnterNow wrote: »
    You should always use a replacement fuse thats the same value as the original. If this fuse is rated too high, it won't do its job in the event of a problem & it could not only be bad for the console, but potentially dangerous too {fire}. If the value is too low, then the fuse can blow under normal operating conditions

Yes right you are knew that much.

However the problem is that the original fuse doesn't have an Amp marking on it!

I suppose my question should be,

What Amp fuse does an Original Playstation 1's power supply take.

What model PS1 is it?

The model Number is SCPH-5552 it's the Bigger original style one

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm finally getting around to fixing my NES. I've swapped out the 72 pin connector, but I've encountered a new issue..

Games won't work unless I hold them down with my finger. For example, when I click the game into place, nothing happens. But when I press it down as far as the tray will go it does work...

Anyone encountered this before? Everything's screwed in the way it should be as far as I can tell...

This video shows the problem, but he doesn't actually show how to fix it.

Something similar happened mine, a brand new 72 pin connector & it still wasn't right. What I did, was to leave the screws loose that hold the connector in place, place a game in {top cover off the NES} & find the position that the game works in. Only then, with the game cart still in place, did I tighten the connector screws. It works now but its a very tight fit for game carts for some reason

So after receiving a Sega Saturn with a dodgy PSU off eBay recently I ended up with two Sega Saturns both in various states of repair.

I contacted a guy a while ago on the AssemblerGames forum, lovely Hungarian bloke.

Anyway he sent me a replacement PSU for a very reasonable price (€10).
    So after a bit of fiddling last night after arriving home from work IT'S ALIVE!

The Action Replay 4 in 1 works beautifully on it too.

Some pics:

Sitting down to swap out the PSU:

It's alive!
    1013904_10201619702277166_656582125_n.jpg

US Copy of Sonic R loaded via Action Replay 4 in 1 (my god I had purged how awful this game is from my memory)
    1000055_10201619979804104_151060540_n.jpg

Japanese copy of Puzzle Bobble 2 - I'm in love with this simple game right now:
    988352_10201619921362643_287122235_n.jpg

Happy now that I finally have a fully working Sega Saturn.

*edit*

Anybody have any need for a broken Sega Saturn PSU? No idea what's wrong with it but probably easy enough for someone with soldering skills to fix.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

EnterNow wrote: »
    Something similar happened mine, a brand new 72 pin connector & it still wasn't right. What I did, was to leave the screws loose that hold the connector in place, place a game in {top cover off the NES} & find the position that the game works in. Only then, with the game cart still in place, did I tighten the connector screws. It works now but its a very tight fit for game carts for some reason

Yeah, tried that and it seemed to work, but something went wrong between screwing down the tray and putting the whole thing back together because now the console won't even switch on. I think I may have killed it. :P

Advertisement