Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Berlin 2010 - September

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

4 stars (good)
    eliwallach wrote: »
    I am starting to worry a bit now.
    I'm on the 10:00am flight from Dublin on the SATURDAY! arriving into Schonefeld @2:00pm local time. Taxi times from Schonefeld to Platz der Luftbrucke should be no more than 20min, but if the flight is delayed......
    The queues sound as if they are gonna be long and slow moving, and I think i will have to queue twice (for race number & for t-shirt?).

Is it realistic and do-able. Or am I putting myself under unnecessary pressure?
    I don't mind queing too much but am i cutting it fine time-wise?

I am going out friday early as well. If you want me to collect your number thats no bother. Just pm me and I will give you my email address that you could send me that email and i could collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

4 stars (good)
    psychozeb wrote: »
    flying out on thursday and back on the tuesday as i haven't been in berlin before.might go to the expo on thurs if i can and do a bit of sightseeing on fri.must try and find a park around the appartment i'm staying in for a few jogs,tempted by the breakfast run just to get on the track in the olympic stadium.

I'm tempted by the breakfast run as well, must check the time & location actually. I'm spending a few days with friends in the centre of Germany so we'll be driving to Berlin to arrive late on Fri most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    I will b at Expo on Friday afternoon..Im going to spend loads of time there for a change ( and hopefully pick up loads of freebee's) so if anyone needs numbers picked up I can do it 2..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

4 stars (good)
    The only problem with the breakfast run is it's at 9:30am at the Charlottenburg Palace, so getting there on time would mean a pretty early start to the day and I have a very early start the previous day, for my flight over, and another on the day of the marathon, so I hope to catch up on lost Zzzz's. If you're staying on that side of the Tiergarten though, or don't have an early start the previous day, it should be great craic.

I did the one in Barcelona (finishing in the Olympic Stadium) and it was fab.

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    I will b at Expo on Friday afternoon..Im going to spend loads of time there for a change ( and hopefully pick up loads of freebee's) so if anyone needs numbers picked up I can do it 2..
    Planning to be there in the afternoon too. PM me a mobile number, and i'll meet you for a non-alcoholic Erdinger!

• Advertisement

4 stars (good)
    liamo123 wrote: »
    Freebies off the germans are you mad;);););)
    They dont even give out a tshirt.:(

4 stars (good)
    Look out for the Clausthauler non-alcoholic Weis Bier. Delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

4 stars (good)
    Okay, okay. As ye're all getting excited about it and deciding where to meet up afterwards, I thought I'd put my two cents into the ring.

Hi all, I'm doing my 1st marathon in Berlin and though I'm excited about it, I'm also getting a bit nervous?! I'm going to have to run 26.2 miles in just over two weeks :eek: The most I've done is 20!
    Am I ready? Can I do it? Will I collapse in a heap on the course and not be able to finish? All these (negative) random thoughts...

Got to be positive! Of course I'm ready. I've done the training. I'm fitter than I've ever been. I'll blast around the course and come sprinting over the line to the cheers of the crowd shouting "eee - mer, eee - mer" :D (one can dream!)

So does everyone have these doubts on their first one? :rolleyes:

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the boardsies around the finish line, assuming you all haven't got tired and gone to the pub (I might be a touch slower than most of you...)

4 stars (good)
    Emer911 wrote: »
    Okay, okay. As ye're all getting excited about it and deciding where to meet up afterwards, I thought I'd put my two cents into the ring.

Hi all, I'm doing my 1st marathon in Berlin and though I'm excited about it, I'm also getting a bit nervous?! I'm going to have to run 26.2 miles in just over two weeks :eek: The most I've done is 20!
    Am I ready? Can I do it? Will I collapse in a heap on the course and not be able to finish? All these (negative) random thoughts...

Got to be positive! Of course I'm ready. I've done the training. I'm fitter than I've ever been. I'll blast around the course and come sprinting over the line to the cheers of the crowd shouting "eee - mer, eee - mer" :D (one can dream!)

Of course! I was exactly the same for my first one in Cork back in June but pretty much all the doubts went away once it kicked off. The final few miles were pretty tough going but that's no surprise I guess :) You'll get there no problem, I'd say the huge crowds in Berlin will make a big difference with all the encouragement you'll draw from them.

Anyone else started checking Berlin weather btw?

4 stars (good)
    opus wrote: »
    Anyone else started checking Berlin weather btw?
    It's permanently showing on my phone. 12'C-18'C ? I'd happily take that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

4 stars (good)
    Emer911 wrote: »

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the boardsies around the finish line, assuming you all haven't got tired and gone to the pub (I might be a touch slower than most of you...)

Ur welcome to this thread Emer :)..I ran my 1st marathon in Chicago last year and like Berlin its a biggie.. trust me the whole occasion the crowds etc will get u around.. Judgeing by ur training log u've put alot of work in so enjoy the experience and ul coast around..

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

4 stars (good)
    Good luck to everyone in Berlin, this day two weeks it will all be behind us. Hopefully the weather will be good on the day. Kinda getting nervous now.

Is anyone doing the dublin half next Saturday? I was planning doing it at my PMP, in around 88mins. Is that a good or bad idea?. It will be my 3rd race in 3 weekends, is that too much?

4 stars (good)
    Caprica wrote: »
    Good luck to everyone in Berlin, this day two weeks it will all be behind us. Hopefully the weather will be good on the day. Kinda getting nervous now.

Is anyone doing the dublin half next Saturday? I was planning doing it at my PMP, in around 88mins. Is that a good or bad idea?. It will be my 3rd race in 3 weekends, is that too much?
    It does sound like a heavy load Caprica. Are you (were you) still getting your long runs done? A 13 mile PMP a week before the race sounds a bit tough, but as long as you're feeling fresh and well rested. If you're feeling tired, I'd do it at pmp+ 30 pace or similar. Come say hello at the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

4 stars (good)
    It does sound like a heavy load Caprica. Are you (were you) still getting your long runs done? A 13 mile PMP a week before the race sounds a bit tough, but as long as you're feeling fresh and well rested. If you're feeling tired, I'd do it at pmp+ 30 pace or similar. Come say hello at the race.

Thanks Krusty. I have done 5 20mls+ runs, last one was the end of August, then had Bristol Half (82 mins) last weekend, BHAA (37:11)yesterday with a half in around 95mins this evening. I do feel rested but I don't want to overdo it, my aim this year has been to go sub 3 and that is the bigger goal.

4 stars (good)
    Caprica wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty. I have done 5 20mls+ runs, last one was the end of August, then had Bristol Half (82 mins) last weekend, BHAA (37:11)yesterday with a half in around 95mins this evening. I do feel rested but I don't want to overdo it, my aim this year has been to go sub 3 and that is the bigger goal.
    You weren't too far behind me yesterday, so (40 seconds). Sounds like you're in great shape for sub-3 (or better).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

3 stars (average)
    It's permanently showing on my phone. 12'C-18'C ? I'd happily take that!

Good man Krusty.

Keep us updated.

The weather has ben broken over the continent for the last few weeks, so we should have moderate conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Patdusty2010

4 stars (good)
    Did my final long run, 20 miles in Phoneix Park today. I found it very hard and asked myself why was I actually doing this Marathon a lot of times! For the last two miles it started to rain which just topped off the run....

I had 4 lucozade orange gels. I find them a lot nicer than other gels I have tried in training so am going to stick to them for the day.

My plan at the start was to run this, my first marathon in 3 hours 30 minutes. I still could do this as long as I taper right. Today was slow and very difficult, felt like I was dragging my feet the last few miles..

Has anyone any advice on how to get through the final 6 miles? I am just going to try and think positive and hope that this will get me through.

Today was a MASSIVE reality check for me.

4 stars (good)
    Today was a MASSIVE reality check for me.
    It's quite late to be doing your final long run (most will have done their final long run last week). Taper is very important. Don't put the feet up for the next two weeks and don't rack up significant mileage. Put the emphasis on good quality runs for the next two weeks, dropping the mileage each week by approximately 1/3rd (though you seem to have missed the first mileage drop, so maybe you should drop the mileage to a greater extent this week). Eat healthy food, and get a good nights sleep every night until the race, and you'll be amazed by the difference in Berlin.

Aim to run the race at a negative split. So if your target is still 3:30, then aim to run the first half at around 8:00 - 8:05/mile, and pick up the pace gradually from the half way point. That'll certainly make the final 6 miles easier than arriving at them with the body tired. Drink water from the first water station (particularly if it's a hot day in Berlin) and enjoy yourself. don't get too caught up in time targets, particularly if it's your first marathon. the self-induced stress will only make your target harder to achieve. Soak up the atmosphere, and picture the beer afterwards. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pixsar

4 stars (good)
    Excellent Advice Krsuty i'm gonna use it..;) done my last and only 20mile last Sat week. Done 12 this Sat and prob 10 next Sat. I was aiming for sub 4hrs in Berlin and after the 20 last week (3hr 3min) It was a huge reality check for me also.. really struggled through the last 3 miles :mad:

Looking forward to the big day and like you said hopefully i'll enjoy it and not get to caught up with the time thing...

All the best to all who are taking part and we might share post race refreshments...:eek:

4 stars (good)
    Pixsar wrote: »
    Excellent Advice Krsuty i'm gonna use it..;) done my last and only 20mile last Sat week. Done 12 this Sat and prob 10 next Sat. I was aiming for sub 4hrs in Berlin and after the 20 last week (3hr 3min) It was a huge reality check for me also.. really struggled through the last 3 miles :mad:

Looking forward to the big day and like you said hopefully i'll enjoy it and not get to caught up with the time thing...

All the best to all who are taking part and we might share post race refreshments...:eek:
    When I ran my first marathon in 2008, I was doing all of my 20 mile runs in around the same time (2:55-3:03) and finished the marathon in 3:25. I'n not suggesting you should go out all guns blazing for a 3:25, just don't get disheartened by your last 20 mile run. It'll be easier on the day. Everyone is going through the same thought process at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Pixsar wrote: »
    I was aiming for sub 4hrs in Berlin and after the 20 last week (3hr 3min) It was a huge reality check for me also.. really struggled through the last 3 miles :mad:
    When I ran my first marathon in 2008, I was doing all of my 20 mile runs in around the same time (2:55-3:03) and finished the marathon in 3:25. I'n not suggesting you should go out all guns blazing for a 3:25, just don't get disheartened by your last 20 mile run. It'll be easier on the day. Everyone is going through the same thought process at the moment.

+1, when i read your time pixsar i was thinking it was fast. If you even did that on the day you'd have 57 mins to cover the last 10k. Plus no doubt you ll go faster racing. As Krusty says dont go mad but sub 4hrs should be comfy.

4 stars (good)
    Anyone know how i can get txts sent to mate at halfway and at the finish. I cant seem to find it. Help krusty.

4 stars (good)
    Here ya go.

3 stars (average)
    Das wieder fur Sonnestag 26th Sept:

(Sorry that's where my German runs out)

Sunny & 23C

Hardly reliable at this stage but that's what they're tellin' us.

4 stars (good)
    Sunny & 23C
    That would be a pretty drastic change. It's all 15'C - 17'C between now and Thursday week, according to yr.no, which would be perfect in my book.

3 stars (average)
    That would be a pretty drastic change. It's all 15'C - 17'C between now and Thursday week, according to yr.no, which would be perfect in my book.

Ilike this crowd's name :rolleyes:
    http://www.accuweather.com/en-us/de/berlin/berlin/forecast2.aspx

4 stars (good)
    Sunny & 23C

Hopefully not, that would be just a bit too warm!

I got some info from Sport Travel today that might be useful for everyone.
    You will line up in one of the 8 start blocks, from A - H, allotted according to the time you indicated on your race entry. If it’s your first marathon, you will be in the last block. There will be orange pacemaker balloons in each block.

About 60 bands provide music along the route.

There are plenty of refreshments and toilet facilities along the route. Massage is available after the 25km mark, every 5km. You will receive a sponge in your race pack. Wet this along the route if it is a very hot day.

The following PowerBar Drinks will be available at 7 places along the course and behind the finish: Lemon, Orange, Berry.

The following PowerBar Gel will be available at km 27.5: Strawberry-Banana, Lemon, Tropical Fruit, Vanilla, Green Apple + Coffein, Black Currant + Coffein.

Make sure you step on the mats so that your time will be properly recorded throughout the race and at the finish. Warm showers are available after the race.

Don’t forget to hand back your timing Chip within 2 hours after the race otherwise the organisers will deduct €25 from your credit card. No one will take the chip from you at the finish. You have to hand it in. If you forget to hand it back, post it from the hotel and that should be fine. Reception has stamps and there are envelopes in your room. Post to: SCC Running Events GmbH, Glockenturmstr 23, 14055 Berlin.

All finishers (those who finish by 3.15pm) will receive a finisher’s medal.
    Preliminary results will be available in the finishers’ areas 45 minutes after you finish. Complete results will be sent to finishers in December. For free results by SMS: register at www.real-berlin-marathon.com For results online go to www.real-berlin-marathon.com or buy the Berliner Morgenpost on Monday morning. Photos will be available on www.marathonfoto.com

The family re-union area is between the Reichstag building and the Brandenburg Gate.

4 stars (good)
    So who's up for meeting for a beer after the race (just outside the family re-union area)? They have dozens of food stalls selling dirty fried food, and wonderful German draught beers and big screen to watch the runners crossing the finish line. It's a great atmosphere. If everything goes according to plan, I have a couple of hours of drinking time, before friends/family arrive (when they start tucking into the beer and fried food too).

4 stars (good)
    Accuweather is now saying: 9'C-13'C. I wouldn't pay it too much heed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

So who's up for meeting for a beer after the race (just outside the family re-union area)?

Absolutely - the thought of that nicely chilled post-race beer goes through my head at least six times a day!

Advertisement