Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OC failed Prime95 - what now?

• 24-04-2011 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

i was playing Mafia 2 today, and the game froze after playing for an hour. no event in the event log, except for an unexpected shutdown (done by me to reboot)

so it got me thinking, i havent run a proper prime95 torture test for a significant amount of time on my current OC (2.9ghz -> 3.335ghz.)

ran prime95 before going to work, and after an hour the i got
    FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.498046875, expected less than 0.4
    Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
    on "worker 2."

same error on "worker 3" after three hours of the test.

worker 1 and 4 had no error to report on.

there is no stress.txt with the version of prime95 i have, and anyway, after googling, its only really a quick FAQ about prime95.

i went back to windows event logger, and it doesnt report any new errors or anything to do with prime95.

is this a ram error or a CPU error?
    should i try go give both a little more voltage and try again?

while im at it,
    my NB is 2300Mhz and is the same as the HT. is this a bit high for either?

CPU-Z reports my ram to be running @ 1.5v, but i have it set to 1.55v in the BIOS (had to up it to get it stable @1580mhz)

156391.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

That always reports the voltage as 1.5 V for some reason.

Just try going back to stock speeds, then increase the FSB.
    Run a torture test. if it passes. Up the FSB then retest untill it becomes unstable.

Then up the voltages and retest. If you under clock the ram while at stock speeds via the bios it may be overclocked by the time you reach the stable FSB OC.

Advertisement