Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I was in the Coombe and wasnt weighed in front of hubby. Nurse took me in to the other room alone and weighed me, took height and checked urine. The into the other room alone also for midwife questions also.

* Penny got there before me and in better detail! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

No partners allowed in for history/weight and height check in either the Coombe or the Rotunda, not sure about Holles St or any other hospital.

As Penny Dreadful said it's to ask about domestic violence and stuff like that. They don't require fathers history at all.

To answer your question - I'm an overweight mother. I was in the process of losing weight before I got pregnant and had lost a stone (I was 14 stone when I got pregnant). During the pregnancy I put on just over a stone in weight which was not bad. There were no comments about my weight during my hospital check ups, only to tell me that I needed a glucose tolerance test because of my BMI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

January wrote: »
    No partners allowed in for history/weight and height check in either the Coombe or the Rotunda, not sure about Holles St or any other hospital.
    My husband was with me at the booking in weigh in for the Rotunda Private :) He was there for the weighing part of my 12 week NT scan too. We haven't had any part of the antenatal process that he wasn't there for come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'm in Drogheda and the door where the weight height urine and blood pressure is done is open. The Fathers history was taken in detail with us .. for all of my others too, the health history of parents and extended family for things like downs syndrome and other diseases.. plus whether the father is a blood relation... has to be filled out on the booking form and then they put all the info on the computer. They had nearly all my details there but there was a few updates needed, name change, different father etc., plus because this baby's dad is different all his family history had to be logged too... I was asked if i needed to talk to a social worker or if he needed to talk to one about anything ..

On the weight issue, you can still safely lose weight while you are pregnant if you want. You only need an extra 200 calories per day throughout the whole pregnancy and if you exercise and eat small but regularly you shouldn't gain too much. Slimming world is the only slimming club that has the pregnancy diet endorsed by maternity hospitals so if you want to keep the weight down you could maybe look them up in your area. They can advise you on the things that will keep you full longer (even though it'll be the last thing you feel like it does help with the nausea and cravings)
    On my 2nd pregnancy we moved house when i was 6 weeks. I had a 3 mile round trip from home to montessori to work and back again. I was about 12 stone when i got pregnant and just over 9 when i left the hospital. It was the best diet i never went on :eek::pac: Needless to say i put most of it back on in the year after :rolleyes: This one i had lost 4.5 stone the year before last and its very hard to feel my jeans getting tight again.. i have to keep reminding myself its not fatness, its pregnant !! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 BroodyAllen

Thanks for the reassurance ladies! Luckily my cravings have been for things like fruit and protein so gaining too much shouldn't be a problem x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Thanks for the reassurance ladies! Luckily my cravings have been for things like fruit and protein so gaining too much shouldn't be a problem x

Its funny how our bodies can do us a solid favour once in a while:)
    My cravings such as they are, have been for oranges, tomoatoes and French Onion Soup! Where that comes in I don't know.
    The smell of wine and alcohol in general turns my stomach so not drinking has been very easy.

cbyrd wrote: »
    I'm in Drogheda and the door where the weight height urine and blood pressure is done is open. The Fathers history was taken in detail with us .. for all of my others too, the health history of parents and extended family for things like downs syndrome and other diseases.. plus whether the father is a blood relation... has to be filled out on the booking form and then they put all the info on the computer. They had nearly all my details there but there was a few updates needed, name change, different father etc., plus because this baby's dad is different all his family history had to be logged too... I was asked if i needed to talk to a social worker or if he needed to talk to one about anything ..

On the weight issue, you can still safely lose weight while you are pregnant if you want. You only need an extra 200 calories per day throughout the whole pregnancy and if you exercise and eat small but regularly you shouldn't gain too much. Slimming world is the only slimming club that has the pregnancy diet endorsed by maternity hospitals so if you want to keep the weight down you could maybe look them up in your area. They can advise you on the things that will keep you full longer (even though it'll be the last thing you feel like it does help with the nausea and cravings)
    On my 2nd pregnancy we moved house when i was 6 weeks. I had a 3 mile round trip from home to montessori to work and back again. I was about 12 stone when i got pregnant and just over 9 when i left the hospital. It was the best diet i never went on :eek::pac: Needless to say i put most of it back on in the year after :rolleyes: This one i had lost 4.5 stone the year before last and its very hard to feel my jeans getting tight again.. i have to keep reminding myself its not fatness, its pregnant !! ;)

Wow that's crazy that some hospitals do take fathers history and some don't. There were definitely signs up in the Coombe in 2010 stating that fathers were not allowed sit in for the history part of the appointment, I never noticed them this time though.

Wow that's crazy that some hospitals do take fathers history and some don't. There were definitely signs up in the Coombe in 2010 stating that fathers were not allowed sit in for the history part of the appointment, I never noticed them this time though.

There were no signs in the Coombe (at least that I noticed) when I had my booking appointment. I'd had my bloods taken (never thought of asking my husband to come in for that, why would he be bothered after all:)) and gone on for my scan before meeting the midwife as they were backed up with patients for that part of the clinic when I got there.
    At the scan my husband was automatically invited in by the sonographer which I had expected. When I went back to the midwife then she took me into one room that was tiny so my husband automatically sat down in the waiting area. It was only when I was going into her office to do the history bit that I asked him if he wanted to come in with me that she said, in a very stern voice, that he wasn't allowed. She said that if I was stuck on any of the father's history aspects of the check I could double check with him then but that was it.
    I thought it was a bit odd until the questions came about domestic violence, drug and alcohol use by the father, a request for a social worker, etc that I understood why it was only the pregnant woman who was with her.

There are so many aspects of pregnancy that you get to share with your husband/ partner and they are often the good ones i.e. the baby kicking, ultrasounds, antenatal classes, etc that I think its perfectly fine that they don't come along for the endless blood pressure, urine analysis, etc.

There were no signs in the Coombe (at least that I noticed) when I had my booking appointment. I'd had my bloods taken (never thought of asking my husband to come in for that, why would he be bothered after all:)) and gone on for my scan before meeting the midwife as they were backed up with patients for that part of the clinic when I got there.
    At the scan my husband was automatically invited in by the sonographer which I had expected. When I went back to the midwife then she took me into one room that was tiny so my husband automatically sat down in the waiting area. It was only when I was going into her office to do the history bit that I asked him if he wanted to come in with me that she said, in a very stern voice, that he wasn't allowed. She said that if I was stuck on any of the father's history aspects of the check I could double check with him then but that was it.
    I thought it was a bit odd until the questions came about domestic violence, drug and alcohol use by the father, a request for a social worker, etc that I understood why it was only the pregnant woman who was with her.

There are so many aspects of pregnancy that you get to share with your husband/ partner and they are often the good ones i.e. the baby kicking, ultrasounds, antenatal classes, etc that I think its perfectly fine that they don't come along for the endless blood pressure, urine analysis, etc.

I totally agree here, the only time my partner came along to appointments was for the big scans and when I was overdue this time he came along too just as back up for me when I was asking about induction etc.

I totally agree here, the only time my partner came along to appointments was for the big scans and when I was overdue this time he came along too just as back up for me when I was asking about induction etc.

I think by the time you get towards the end of your pregnancy the constant check ups, while important to have and I'd be cross if they were taken away, get annoying for the woman herself they would be tedious beyond belief for the dad.
    I also think that I'd prefer him to be able to build up some hours at work so that when the baby comes he has more flexibilty or good will generated to take time when it counts.
    I attended an early pregnancy class today that was really good - some new information, some old but it was nice to meet other first time parents and the midwives - but I was the only woman there without her husband or partner. When I texted my husband that he was mortified but I just said, you know I'll tell you all when I see you this evening, you're busy with work and this is not something you need to attend. It didn't cost me a thought to be there alone. We've booked a full day ante natal class that he will attend with me as it is on a Saturday so easy for him and will attend/already has attended the scans.

Granted all of that is predicated on an understanding that the pregnancy is progressing well and the woman is in good health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oh guys I'm so utterly smitten! Honestly. I've so much love for this little guy but now I'm just mush! We had a 4D scan yesterday and for anyone who is in a position to have one, I'd really really recommend it, it's great fun! Baby Merkin is simply adorable! He looks very comfy in there and when we first introduced the camera, he had the little feet and hands up over his face (one little foot with his five perfect little toes over his head) and seemed most intent on showing off his little bits and pieces the shameless exhibitionist!

So I got up, moved around, did a few pelvic tilts and swayed my hips etc and came back and he decided to comply! There he was, playing away with the umbilical cord by kicking it and tugging it and then he stopped doing that and then did a little yawn - THE CUTENESS! :D He looks more like me at this stage I thought with the same nose and head shape etc, has his Dad's lovely strong, masculine jaw. He's going to be gorgeous! He then poked his little tongue out through his teeny tiny cleft which was almost too much (which incidentally is much better in appearance than was first thought, our consultant looked at the pictures and said he's confident of a very good cosmetic result which was just an added bonus!)

So any other ladies thinking of having one, please do so. It was great seeing what the little fellow gets up to in there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Awww Merkin that's lovely! We got a scan done at 39 weeks for the Genesis study, and the doctor totally unexpectedly turned on the 4D setting for us, now obviously at that stage he was very squished up and not moving around much, but it still blew me away! The other scans were interesting, but sure all of those ultrasound pictures look the same to me, they're all just little black-and-while skeletal creatures ... this one made me see that there was a real live (completely gorgeous!) little boy inside of me, and I felt so much more connected to him afterwards. It made the rest of my pregnancy even nicer, and it definitely helped me through the labour and birth, knowing what I had to look forward to. :)

You're absolutely right Chatastrophe, feel even closer to the little guy having seen his little antics in there, makes it all the more real somehow! It was amazing!:)

Awww Merkin that's lovely! We got a scan done at 39 weeks for the Genesis study, and the doctor totally unexpectedly turned on the 4D setting for us, now obviously at that stage he was very squished up and not moving around much, but it still blew me away! The other scans were interesting, but sure all of those ultrasound pictures look the same to me, they're all just little black-and-while skeletal creatures ... this one made me see that there was a real live (completely gorgeous!) little boy inside of me, and I felt so much more connected to him afterwards. It made the rest of my pregnancy even nicer, and it definitely helped me through the labour and birth, knowing what I had to look forward to. :)

I signed up for Genesis today too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Merkin wrote: »
    Oh guys I'm so utterly smitten! Honestly. I've so much love for this little guy but now I'm just mush! We had a 4D scan yesterday and for anyone who is in a position to have one, I'd really really recommend it, it's great fun! Baby Merkin is simply adorable! He looks very comfy in there and when we first introduced the camera, he had the little feet and hands up over his face (one little foot with his five perfect little toes over his head) and seemed most intent on showing off his little bits and pieces the shameless exhibitionist!

So I got up, moved around, did a few pelvic tilts and swayed my hips etc and came back and he decided to comply! There he was, playing away with the umbilical cord by kicking it and tugging it and then he stopped doing that and then did a little yawn - THE CUTENESS! :D He looks more like me at this stage I thought with the same nose and head shape etc, has his Dad's lovely strong, masculine jaw. He's going to be gorgeous! He then poked his little tongue out through his teeny tiny cleft which was almost too much (which incidentally is much better in appearance than was first thought, our consultant looked at the pictures and said he's confident of a very good cosmetic result which was just an added bonus!)

So any other ladies thinking of having one, please do so. It was great seeing what the little fellow gets up to in there! :)
    how far gone are you ? we are 23 weeks and debating when is the best time to for for the 4d scan

I'm 30 weeks today firestarter! They say the best time is between 26 and 30 weeks as bubba tends to fill the space a bit more after that and getting a good/less squishy view can be a little bit more difficult as the little one grows! If you can, go for it. You'll really enjoy it and the video and photos they give you are just a joy!xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

I'm 30 weeks today firestarter! They say the best time is between 26 and 30 weeks as bubba tends to fill the space a bit more after that and getting a good/less squishy view can be a little bit more difficult as the little one grows! If you can, go for it. You'll really enjoy it and the video and photos they give you are just a joy!xx
    i think we will got for it, its 100 for the gender scan and 180 for the 4d it sounds like its well worth it, i will wait another couple of weeks

Oh you won't regret it, it's great fun! I'll be keen to hear what you think!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

That's fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MissFire

Just saw this.. Just when you thought you had enough to be thinking about while in hospital..
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/maternity-hospital-warns-mums-about-urban-foxes-on-their-grounds-30279213.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I reckon all hospitals have animals living in the grounds! I work in a residential hospital, and we have foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, feral cats, and assorted other creatures! I'd say they're just being cautious - the likelihood of a fox getting in and attacking a baby is slim, but can't be eliminated entirely I guess, and the risk is increased if people try to feed the fox and it becomes more used to people. I'd say they are more concerned about infection control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

We had a 4d scan as part of our last anomoly scan at around 30 weeks and it was incredible, we made copies of the picture for all our family, detail is incredible and even know I keep staring at it trying to believe that little guy is in my bump waiting to come out, definitely mind blowing in the nicest way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smchugh84

Hi, has anyone any feedback on Dr Hassan Rajab in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda? We just got told he is our consultant for our first baby scan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 BroodyAllen

9 weeks and I'm experiencing some pretty severe lower back pain, I'm finding it difficult to stand for any period of time. Does SPD usually present itself in the lower back and this early on?

Quick question ladies. I'm managing a project at the moment whereby I meet with the same client every Friday. We conducted a conference call this afternoon because he told me he has shingles and doesn't want to expose me to it which is more than fair enough. He has scheduled to come next Friday but I'm not that keen on being in the room seeing as he will still have it. Does anyone know the incubation period for it? Isn't it very dangerous for pregnant ladies to be exposed to shingles or anything remotely chicken pox related? Any insight appreciated! Thanks :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Quick question ladies. I'm managing a project at the moment whereby I meet with the same client every Friday. We conducted a conference call this afternoon because he told me he has shingles and doesn't want to expose me to it which is more than fair enough. He has scheduled to come next Friday but I'm not that keen on being in the room seeing as he will still have it. Does anyone know the incubation period for it? Isn't it very dangerous for pregnant ladies to be exposed to shingles or anything remotely chicken pox related? Any insight appreciated! Thanks :)

I'd say best ring your GP Merkin. But yes, you are right to be wary. Do you have a company doctor?

No company doctor but there's absolutely no pressure for me to physically be there, I can just dial in to the meeting room. It's just he's going to be coming for next maybe 6 Fridays and I'm wondering at what stage it is safe to be exposed to him again! I think you're right, will phone GP to be on safe side.

Neyite wrote: »
    I'd say best ring your GP Merkin. But yes, you are right to be wary. Do you have a company doctor?

This ^^ get advice from your doc. I think they check for varicella immunity during booking appointment but not sure.

There's some information here too - http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1110.aspx?CategoryID=54

Thanks both!

• Advertisement

9 weeks and I'm experiencing some pretty severe lower back pain, I'm finding it difficult to stand for any period of time. Does SPD usually present itself in the lower back and this early on?

I had SPD in the early stages of my pregnancy too- very much through the last 3/4 weeks of the first trimester. There were a few times when it brought tears to my eyes and many expletives to my lips!
    I attend an acupuncturist fairly regularly and he treated me for it. I also modified the way I got out of bed, dressed myself and got in and out of cars. I also ditched the heels totally ( having no flat shoes other than runners and flop flops I had to buy new shoes to deal with that). It helped a lot and oddly enough I only get an odd flair up now at 20 weeks.
    Once I hit 17 weeks I also starred ante natal yoga which helps with this. Physio is brilliant too and you should speak to your doctor about getting a referral.

Advertisement