Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Thumby wrote: »
    Where exactly is he getting 18 hours from? Fair enough my first was that long (i went naturally) but i was induced on kacie and they were tellin me i was looking at min 18 hours again if not longer because it was an induction. They couldn't have been more wrong! They broke my waters at 11.35pm after having to pull the cervix down (i wasn't dialated or effaced at all). By 11.45pm i was in active labour and 3cm dialated. She was born at 4.37am, five hours two mins later. It would have been less but i ended up getting the epidural and they said that added at least an hour onto labour and delivery because 1 i kept going back to sleep when they were waking me (i don't like people waking me) and 2 i couldn't feel a thing when i was pushing.

he was pulling it out of his ass! Its my first pregnancy so obviously no clue what will happen...i could as easily go early and have a super fast labor or i could go over and have a marathon labor! he was saying that because he said most women on thier first baby tend to have longer labors...doesnt make me feel any better though! never know what might happen!

( and they had to PULL your cervix down?? holy crap that must have hurt!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Cherish the alone bathroom time. You'll miss it, especially when it comes to potty training!
    I'm so glad my x drives, i'd be fecked otherwise. I'll be leaving my car at home as my dad will be staying in my place with my others demon spawns while i'm in hospital.
    As for them kicking himself out if i'm labouring at night they can feck off with themselves. We live half an hour away from the coombe and considering how quick my last labour was i'm not risking it as all my labours have been significantly shorter each time. 1st 18 hours, 2nd 8 hours 3rd 5 hours but would have been less if i didn't get the epidural.

Pulling my cervix down was a bas**rd alright. That was worse than anything else. If i was you i'd make arrangements to have someone bring you in just as a back up plan cause ya never know. Any labour particularly the first/an induced labour can be extremely hard to predict.
    I knew my last labour was going to be a quick one. I kept telling them once ye break my waters thats it, i'll be in the heigt of it. It was my gut feeling and thats what we need to listen to not a man, who, no matter how experienced he is at delivering babies, has never been in labour/given birth.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You are all hilarious :-)
    No idea where my tens machine is :(
    Now I want cold lucozade :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

On my son, my first, I was in actual labour (dilated) for 3 hours. I was having regular strong contractions from 8.30pm so 4.5 hours. So in total from first big contraction (that woke me and had me jumping off the bed) to birth it was 8.5 hours.

Oh dear jebus on having the cervix pulled down. Seriously I'd plain, outright refuse. It just sounds so against what your body wants to do or is ready to do.

• Advertisement

Lol@moonbeam. I have my marsbars and lucozade now.
    @how strange. I couldn't refuse it. I had to have her then as i had obstetric choleostasis which if left after 38 weeks is fatal for the babs up to 90% of the time. They induced me 2 weeks 2 days early to allow for the long labour they were expecting me to have. I was booked in to be induced at half eight that morning but were that busy it was half eleven that night before they got round to me. They were not letting me go past midnight without inducing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Glad you got sorted Thumby! Came out of a meeting there to find a can of lucozade and a marks and Spencer's rocky road slice on my desk!!! Happy days :)

Just heard the nurse who fell for that prank the two australian DJs pulled in the hospital Kate Middleton was in committed suicide this morning. Absolutely tragic :(

Awww lucky you hun.
    Haven't heard anything about nurses/pranks. What happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Two Australian djs rang the hospital Kate middleton was staying in and spoke to a nurse while impersonating the Queen and Prince Charles. They obtained "sensitive" information about the duchess. Sounds ridiculous but they did it somehow. Media had a field day over it.

Poor woman committed suicide this morning, unbelievable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Lol Lovin the posts!! I hate Lucozade :( all flavours yuck! I'm not a big fan of fizzy drinks in general or Mars Bars.. I did ask my OH to get me a big bag of malteasers hehe! Some mash potatoes would go down well about now though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Chicken roll has lead me to think of chicken balls...chips...curry sauce...then maybe a caramel sundae for desert..

Sweet jesus the poor woman! I hope to christ those two sh*ts get done for something.
    Tig i don't normally drink lucozade either but i'm gone to the stage where i see/hear food being mentioned and i want it. I also came home with cookies, frosted wheat, various fruit and a couple of tubs of whipped cream. :$

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I bought ginger beer and sweeties for when the kids go to bed:)
    My reward for doing the shopping:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Sorry Thumby I didn't mean to sound flippant. I'm sure it was something that had to be done but it just sounds gruesome.

I'm a bit confused. I went to my gp this afternoon and she said there was +2 sugar in my urine. She said it isn't necessarily an indicator of anything but to get a blood test done at my hospital app.

I'm not overweight or anything so I'm a bit confused and worried. I've been dizzy and tired all week and the gp said my bp was on the low side of normal. I ate a big lunch and had done chocolates before I went so I'm wondering if that could've given the reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I bought ginger beer and sweeties for when the kids go to bed:)
    My reward for doing the shopping:)

I've never ever tasted ginger beer! It just sounds so wrong! Plus I hate ginger lol I didn't even know it was sold here!

I cannot wait for Christmas Dinner :) is eat turkey all year round!

Ah jaysus how strange, there's no need to be sayin sorry at all. I didn't take it as you being flippant or anything of the kind. Sorry if i came across as being defensive. Ah don't be too worried about the sugar. If you increased your sugar in take alot lately it could have something to do with i'd say. Do get the hospital to check it though, but in the meantime take comfort in the fact that your doc didn't draw any today and send it off. If they were worried i'm sure they would have. Salt is good for raising your pb.

Hehehe moonbeam. I do the same. We're such bad mammies :-D

@tig ... i want my xmas dinner now *stamps foot like a petulant little child*
    Thanks for that hun.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭missymad

hi ladies just a quick question.. has anyone ever had a slight pinkish discharge? its not much.. not that worried just wondering wat ye think or has anyone had it? im 30wks

nope but ring vhi nurse line or the hospital and just ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭missymad

Thanks moonbeam might do that, as i said not that worried as im getting kicked around the place all day babs is full of he's fun feel like he's trying to punch he's way out :)

They never mind anyone asking with questions better the being worried:)

had a lovely nap on the sofa- that's crazy about that poor nurse! I feel so bad for her family, so close to Christmas. And I feel really bad for Kate as well...It must be so hard to be under constant scrutiny and pressure like that! I know I couldn't handle the stress of it and knowing that someone trying to get information about me caused someone else to end their life? Just a sad sad state of affairs!

has anyone else been watching one born every minute:what happens next? I'm not sure how i feel about it....every episode has me crying and also slightly scared about life with a child...I think it might just be wise for me to only think about getting baby here and not actually worrying too much about what happens when baby is here since I'm completely clueless!

@missy, give the hospital a quick call, they'd rather that than have you putting extra stress and worry on yourself.
    @rach don't be worrying about what happens after, you learn as you do. And remember the what happens next shows have the majority of stuff edited out. I haven't been watching it but i'm pretty sure they are showing the harder parts of parenting. I mean the ratings wouldn't be too high if they showed just the good. I'm not gonna lie being a first time parent is a massive adjustment and takes a bit of getting used to but you really have nothing to be worried about.

Thanks thumby! makes me feel better...its so intimidating and all my years retail doesn't help because you see the worst of kids behavior a lot of the times lol!

question....last night at around 3:30 I woke up to use the bathroom(as usual!) and got up and had the WORST pain around my torso....like above my belly button, middleish section, all the way around my back. It was like someone had taken a belt and tightened it so hard!It hurt so bad I nearly threw up! I couldnt stand up or sit down, leaning over felt ok. It hurt for a long time and then I had about an hour of pain/cramping. And then i was fine! Was that a contraction? Like a real one? I am kinda walking around on egg shells this morning wondering what in the world that was and if its going to come back!

Thats the thing about retail rach we only see the little fecker side of kids. My lo is as good as gold most of the time ya wouldn't even know she was here, but i bring her into dunnes and you'd swear she was being bet black and blue! There is just something about bringing her in there starts her off!
    As for that pain with it being that bad def ring the hospital. They'll probably just tell you take it easy and drink plenty of fluids but with ya being so close they are better off knowing. Have you any other signs yet? Mucus plug/slow release of waters?

Thumby wrote: »
    Thats the thing about retail rach we only see the little fecker side of kids. My lo is as good as gold most of the time ya wouldn't even know she was here, but i bring her into dunnes and you'd swear she was being bet black and blue! There is just something about bringing her in there starts her off!
    As for that pain with it being that bad def ring the hospital. They'll probably just tell you take it easy and drink plenty of fluids but with ya being so close they are better off knowing. Have you any other signs yet? Mucus plug/slow release of waters?

ah balls I was too scared to ring the hospital that they might say come in! silly i know! slow release of waters? no clue about that one...i've had a lot of light discharge (tmi! sorry!) but if there was any waters mixed in that i couldnt tell you! no mucus plug either, which is why I was thinking what the hell could this be the start of proper labour? I mean, i feel so silly asking because everyone says when you have a real contraction you'll know but I'm definitely not in the know! :rolleyes:

Ah hell honey i couldn't tell the difference between real and practice anymore cause my bh's are so bad. You need to ring the hospital, they not tell you to come because its stopped or they could bring you in for a few hours monitoring to see whats going on.
    Ok this is gonna sound icky but does the discharge smell? If your waters have gone you should be able to get a sweet smell from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭xiwang

I had similar pains like that getting up rach, like maybe two or three times over the last week but I didn't ring the hospital, I just put it down to getting from vertical to horizontal too quickly without my back/spine having time to catch up - it seems I am remote controlled when I have to go to the bathroom at night. It normally eases up by the time I whaled myself back to bed though in my case, if it prevents you from sleeping it may well be the start of it. My midwife said you know you're in labour (or having a real contraction) when you can't eat, talk, drink, or sleep through it. But call them just in case, after all you could get early and you been wanting to get it done with before your mam gets here after all!

I'm a bit scared of missing some signs myself, I read about women who don't feel their contractions until very late and my BHs stopped about 2 months ago (or what I think were BHs). I have a very high pain threshold it seems - some years ago I had a ruptured fallopian tube and the hospital staff refused to operate on the basis of me not being in enough pain. I had to fake pain to get the operation - it just has me wonder ...

GP yesterday said the pains in the leg are the head engaging, so with this knowledge tonight was much easier on me than the previous nights.

• Advertisement

hmm should i still ring them to ask about it? I'm feeling ok now, just sore and stiff like I have been the last few days...lol I know its icky but its part of the process, i checked before to see if it had a sweet smell and it doesnt!

Yeah its pretty confusing... i mean there was definite increase and decrease in pain but there was no pattern and after about an hour it went away enough for me to go back to sleep! I was thinking ok, is this just really strong pre-labour or is it a proper contraction? most of my BH's have been down in my lower bump!

Advertisement