Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about submitting a photo to TV3's weather...

• 04-11-2007 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Ideo

Hey,

I took this photo while I was away during the summer and after loads of people saying that I should submit it to TV3 I'm really considering it, but should I run it through photoshop first or leave it as is?

I kind of like the fact that I haven't touched it (other than to clone out a speck of dust on my lens) but then I think it may look a little better with some dodging. What do ya think?

1854306691_c2366ec0fa.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

is it just me or does the cloud in the middle look like ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

think that's the point...

maybe photoshop and post back here for people to vote on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Ideo

roryw wrote: »
    is it just me or does the cloud in the middle look like ireland

Exactly! Isn't it cool?!
    sarahirl wrote: »
    think that's the point...

maybe photoshop and post back here for people to vote on it...

Yeah I might just do that. Will post up a photoshopped version later. Thanks for the sugggestion sarahirl!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Definitely send it in. I think also that its charm is its simplicity you havent done anything to it to make it look like Ireland, it just does.
    But sure photoshop away and see what it looks like that way. But keep the original:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

You could also photoshop it into a 3 ??? LLOLL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

You should play around with the contrast, to give more definition to the clouds.
    I like it though.

t_Irelandinthm_8cab048.jpg

So I played around with PS a little bit, but I think my Ps skills have gotten the better of me!! :o Anyway, any opinions on this?

The bottom looks a bit too dark imo.A little bit more brightness should do it.It should definitely get picked for the weather anyway.It's the kind of photo they'd love.

Watch The Weather With Martin King Tonight! Guess Who's Photograph Was Shown After The 5.30pm News!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

wahey, congrats Ideo :-)

Too bad the barman in my local dislikes martin king and switches over to RTE for the bells as soon as he comes on...... so I didnt get to see it :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

nice, well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

Well done, and well deserved it's a great shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭liveforphotos

So how much did TV3 pay you for the use of your image? Or did you just give that tool Martin King a free backdrop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

congrats :)

great capture too

well done!!

Congrats Ideo,knew it would be picked.Will catch it at half past.

Liveforephotos it's shown at the end of the weather,not used as a backdrop and it's a privilege more than anything to get it shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Say it there on the late news by chance. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

would ye get anything for it? would they jus use it as a background or wha??

unreggd wrote: »
    would ye get anything for it? would they jus use it as a background or wha??

No you don't get any payment for it, but a great sense of pride knowing that it's your photo he's showing on telly! At the end of the weather show he usually shows 3 photos submitted by viewers and just says who sent it in and where it was taken. Made my day really!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Ideo wrote: »
    No you don't get any payment for it, but a great sense of pride knowing that it's your photo he's showing on telly! At the end of the weather show he usually shows 3 photos submitted by viewers and just says who sent it in and where it was taken. Made my day really!

yeah me too, was nice to see your work being put up somewhere for all to see., not sure if its too late but there a book coming out for christmas with the best of the weather show photos, they'll send you an email to let you know if its in.,
    and nice shot.,;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

deadly!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭liveforphotos

Congrats Ideo,knew it would be picked.Will catch it at half past.

Liveforephotos it's shown at the end of the weather,not used as a backdrop and it's a privilege more than anything to get it shown.

Frankly, it is no privilege to give away your work for free, so that TV3 can have nice images as a backdrop for their weather forecast. It is that mindset that allows the cheap bastards to exploit keen photographers. Call me an old cynic but 30 seconds of public exposure does not put bread on the table.

And now,they are bringing out a book of these images? Are they selling this book? Will they pay the photographers whose work is to be used in the book? If not, it is the sweetest con I have seen yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

And now,they are bringing out a book of these images? Are they selling this book? Will they pay the photographers whose work is to be used in the book? If not, it is the sweetest con I have seen yet.

the book is to be sold with all profits for charity, Im happy to give my photo to them knowing that as a beginner in this subject that its always gonna be a in a book for me to say "that was my first published photo".,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

@ OP - forgive the apparent laziness but where did you submit the shot to?

No problem,

Just sent it to martin.king@tv3.ie

Sent a Hi-Res image and a little blurb of info. Didn't get an email back to say it would be used but that's understanding given the amount of submissions he probably receives

Advertisement