Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭redarmy

up the lillys:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Great win today, 3-20 is great scoring in any championship game. Hopefully that 1-5 from Alan Smith will give him confidence. Cavan were very poor though but a win is a win. Delighted to hear Seanie getting great reception from the Kildare fans.

I'd love if we were to get Kerry in the draw tomorrow, that would give us a real idea as to where this Kildare team is really at.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,052 ✭✭✭✭beertons

How would ya's feel about Kerry in the next round lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 iDanieL

Great win today, 3-20 is great scoring in any championship game. Hopefully that 1-5 from Alan Smith will give him confidence. Cavan were very poor though but a win is a win. Delighted to hear Seanie getting great reception from the Kildare fans.

I'd love if we were to get Kerry in the draw tomorrow, that would give us a real idea as to where this Kildare team is really at.

I didn't see the game today but Cavan would be a very weak team to be fair. If they were anything like Offaly were then we have nothing to be shouting about. They're probably still doing that bull**** that they did against Offaly (slapping the ball down in Midfield), they were very lucky to get away with it but that was due to the very inexperienced Offaly side.

They didn't get away with that against Meath anyways, they saw exactly what ****e they were going on with in Midfield and brought it to a close. If they do it against any other half-decent team they will get humiliated, I guarantee it.

What needs to be done is that O'Connor has to be put to some use. He's simply too big to be a full forward, he can't turn. But that's the only thing he can't do, he's so strong and has steady hands. He should really be a Half forward so he can get a run at the goals, maybe even a midfielder (I mean, he can catch a feckin' ball which is what we need badly) if his fitness is up.

So yeah, I think Kildare has to sort out the squad, this year won't be our year if they don't do something with midfield soon. It's pathetic really that we can't catch a shaggin' ball.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

beertons wrote: »
    How would ya's feel about Kerry in the next round lads?

I would love for Kildare to get Kerry tomorrow.
    I reckon it would give Kildare alot of confidence to knock them out, which I think ye would.

• Advertisement

Agree with you 100% iDanieL, I would love to see O'Connor at midfield, he plays there for Clane so the position wouldn't be alien to him. But I think this should have been tried out during the league, it's far to late to change it now. Mick Foley is not a midfielder and playing him there is taking away an all star full back from our defence, it's like robbing Peter to pay Paul. I'd love to know what the story with Daryl Flynn is, is he injured? Or has he just falling out of favour? Baffling TBH.

Cavan kicked something like 15 wides today so that gives you an idea of how poor our defence has been this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Kerry please!!! Most important it's do or die and Kerry could be a massive stepping stone or a stumbling stone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Where is Hugh Lynch? When Dermot Earley got injured himself and Daryl Flynn formed a fairly solid partnership at midfield, but now neither of them are first choice picks. We started Eoin Doyle at midfield against Cavan and Offaly even though I can't remember him playing there throughout the league. Mick Foley and Paudie O'Neill each did stints in midfield. Emmet Bolton was in midfield for the first time ever (as far as I can remember) against Meath even though he always excelled as a half back. He was back as a half back today and played well.

It just seems like we are three matches into the championship and McGeeney is still experimenting. This doesnt inspire confidence. When he came in today Dermot Earley seemed to settle the game, he just stayed in midfield, challenged for balls and distributed it well. It meant the forwards (like Johnny Doyle) could stay up front without having to come deep to get possession.

I'd also like to see Mikey Conway as a wing back. He played his best football for Kildare as a half back before he got injured, he was excellent at distributing the ball into Doyle, Kavanagh and Smith.

So it was a great win today and we put up a good score, but we were like headless chickens against Meath and there was an element of that today, although it was mitigated by the poor opposition. Still loads of work to do before we can begin to challenge the big boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Kerry please!!! Most important it's do or die and Kerry could be a massive stepping stone or a stumbling stone

Kiss of death to ask for Kerry. We all know they appear to be struggling and very well could have lost yesterday if not for the cuteness of Gooch and Darren O Sullivan but never write Kerry off. Kerry get more dangerous the more they play and they will have received a massive wake up call while trying to peak at the right time of the season. Kildare would have a better chance of beating Kerry in the next round rather than waiting until the final round of qualifiers.

I think Kerry know that they will have to raise their game and Jack O Connor certainly knows how to use the bench to get over the line as was proved yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I want a decent toad trip on a saturday so we can make a night of it.

More importantly I want Kildare to get a decent test in the next round. Games like yeseterday wont be much use to ye in the final round or the quarters etc. Kildare need a good tight game getting through by about 2 points, let them prove themselves.

Ive the heaphones in my ears in work for rte!

• Advertisement

Kildare V Limerick at home. winners play Sligo. we'll take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Bad draw for Kildare IMO.
    Think they need a good hard game to really see where they are at this stage and niether Limerick or Sligo will give you that.
    This could see you in an All Ireland quarter final having beaten 3 poorer teams. The same thing happened to Meath a few years ago and we got a serious hiding off Cork

Felexicon wrote: »
    Bad draw for Kildare IMO.
    Think they need a good hard game to really see where they are at this stage and niether Limerick or Sligo will give you that.
    This could see you in an All Ireland quarter final having beaten 3 poorer teams. The same thing happened to Meath a few years ago and we got a serious hiding off Cork

Kildare won't be thinking like that!!! Eyes on the prize and all that!!!

Have you seen limerick or Sligo playing?? They are both very good IMO anyways Kildare won't be taking limerick for granted!!!!

Difference is Kildare have a great side of seasoned players I highly doubt they will take anything for granted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Kildare won't be thinking like that!!! Eyes on the prize and all that!!!

Have you seen limerick or Sligo playing?? They are both very good IMO anyways Kildare won't be taking limerick for granted!!!!

Difference is Kildare have a great side of seasoned players I highly doubt they will take anything for granted
    Yes I've seen them both play and they're really not as good as they were 2 or 3 years ago.
    I know you missed Sligo as you were stuck on the side of the road yesterday but they were awful against Mayo.

My point is not that Kildare will take the games for granted ( I don't think your current squad take anything for granted after previous disappointments) it's that they won't face a team that can put it up to them in the next 2 games and that will stand against them when they meet one of the provincial winners.

Is the capacity of Newbridge still being kept low or is that sorted?? chance it wont be in newbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Limerick mightn't be as good as they were a couple of years ago but we did get to a quarter-final last year for the first time in our history. But we'll definitely put it up to you, it won't be an easy win for Kildare... if it is, Horan's got to go. We did have a poor league and a poor Munster Championship but we showed flashes of what we were capable of and we finally delivered against Longford. Now we need to deliver on that again.

I reckon it'll be a decent game.

Kildare v Limerick is in Portlaoise on Saturday at 7.

So much for home advantage!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭musicmania

I know it is close but this is so annoying :mad: Why o why did the recession have to come before we got our promised state of the art venue beside the Lidl warehouse.

Home advantage should be home advantage regardless of home grounds capacity. Either way should be a good game!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Ah not feckin portlaoise, tis a depressing aul drive down the motorway followed by a good 30 minute hike to the stadium from the country lane you've parked in 3km away.

The team know the pitch very well though on the plus side, and we really should fill the statdium with white.

Would have preferred a traditionally stronger team than Limerick in the draw, but sure we'll take what we can get.

Roll on the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Home advantage should be home advantage regardless of home grounds capacity. Either way should be a good game!!!

Whats the craic with Conleths? Last I heard it was up for an international architectural award.

baztard wrote: »
    Whats the craic with Conleths? Last I heard it was up for an international architectural award.
    A wrecking ball should be taken to the place. For a county with Kildares population and sporting tradition we really deserve better than a kip like St.Conleths.

A wrecking ball should be taken to the place. For a county with Kildares population and sporting tradition we really deserve better than a kip like St.Conleths.

Agreed, not a bad pitch itself.The Terrace side is "ok" but jesus the Stand and the turnstiles are a health hazard. A guy I know on the larger side of life had difficulty in getting through the turnstile. I'm thin enough myself and I found the turnstile very dangerous too.

I don't think the venue will make a difference though. Portlaoise is ok.The access or traffic congestion can be a huge pain though on big match days. I parked at Lidl for the league game back in March so be advised to get down early.

As for the game itself, I do not believe it will prepare Kildare for the later stages of the championship unless Limerick can really pull out a huge performance two straight weeks in a row. They did beat a much fancied Longford team so perhaps Kildare will be on edge. The game against Cavan was never going to tell us if Kildare had resolved their issues in defense or midfield so there is scope for an upset is Kildare underperform again like they did against Meath and if Limerick can bring it again, but I think Kildare will get through.

baztard wrote: »

Really? Where did you hear that?

On a non trolling note from baztard :)

Desperately needs work to be fair but pitch is very good IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Maybe they should have the game in Newbridge, but if there were thousands left standing outside of it due to overcapacity on Sunday, you'd have people in here by Sunday evening and on to Take Your Point and to the Sunday Game and the local Kildare radio stations, asking why it wasn't played in a bigger ground.

You had the Kildare representative on Morning Ireland complaining about it and also saying how there are thousands of fans wanting to see Kildare play. If they really come out in their thousands on Sunday, along with the Limerick fans and neutrals, the phones would be ringing with fury in the Kildare County Board offices next Monday morning complaining about not being able to get in.

There is a small travel issue, but once the ball is thrown in, be it Newbridge, Portlaoise or anywhere else, it's a piece of grass with people all around it and with posts at either end that you have to try to get the ball between and accumulate a greater score than your opponent. If Kildare do that on Sunday, fans coming out won't give a damn where it was played. If they are not happy with Portlaoise, move it to Ballybofey or Ruislip or New York, or maybe the Melbourne Cricket Grounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Flukey wrote: »
    Maybe they should have the game in Newbridge, but if there were thousands left standing outside of it due to overcapacity on Sunday, you'd have people in here by Sunday evening and on to Take Your Point and to the Sunday Game and the local Kildare radio stations, asking why it wasn't played in a bigger ground.

You had the Kildare representative on Morning Ireland complaining about it and also saying how there are thousands of fans wanting to see Kildare play. If they really come out in their thousands on Sunday, along with the Limerick fans and neutrals, the phones would be ringing with fury in the Kildare County Board offices next Monday morning complaining about not being able to get in.

There is a small travel issue, but once the ball is thrown in, be it Newbridge, Portlaoise or anywhere else, it's a piece of grass with people all around it and with posts at either end that you have to try to get the ball between and accumulate a greater score than your opponent. If Kildare do that on Sunday, fans coming out won't give a damn where it was played. If they are not happy with Portlaoise, move it to Ballybofey or Ruislip or New York, or maybe the Melbourne Cricket Grounds!

In all honesty, Kildare is a county of 200,000 people and the county board have just spent a huge outlay on a training complex.

Surely having an actual decent ground with a good capacity in the county should have taken precedence?

That's what has happened in Cavan. Breffni upgraded and 3G training pitch built first and now a training and development complex is to be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Has to say Breffni is one of the best county grounds Ive been in, I'd say you'd have a great view wherever you are and the pitch was in great condition too.

Im happy enough to go to Portlaoise. Apart from the quality of the grounds, the pitch in Portlaoise is bigger which gives more space for our forwards to run into. Plus I believe that you get a goal when you hit the crossbar down there so we might just focus on that ;)

ColHol wrote: »
    Has to say Breffni is one of the best county grounds Ive been in, I'd say you'd have a great view wherever you are and the pitch was in great condition too.

Im happy enough to go to Portlaoise. Apart from the quality of the grounds, the pitch in Portlaoise is bigger which gives more space for our forwards to run into. Plus I believe that you get a goal when you hit the crossbar down there so we might just focus on that ;)

Could not believe my eyes when I saw that on the Sunday Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭celt262

blackbelt wrote: »
    Could not believe my eyes when I saw that on the Sunday Game.

Id say it was a goal there was no complaint from Monaghan.

• Advertisement

It was a definite goal, it hit the bar going across the back of the cross bar. You just can't see it on the TV replays.

There was no complaints from the Monaghan players and the Laois player celebrated straight away, lads don't celebrate hitting the crossbar.

Advertisement