Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Bacterial Shower Gel?

• 27-08-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

I went to my doctors the other day to get him to look at a couple of infected boils and he told me I have the bacteria 'Staphylococcus aureus' on my skin which was causing these.

He gave me a two week course of antibiotics to clear them up , but can anyone recommend a good shower gel to prevent this returning?

Or any other hygiene tips?

Thanks

SoCo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Anything with Tea Tree Oil will generally do the trick

A crowd called Source do a range of natural shower gels, you can get them in most tesco's

They have a Mint and tea tree oil one which should do the trick, it smells really minty, will wake you up in the morning

(I have an allergy to chemical fragrance which is why I buy the Source products)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Thanks Recliner!

Do you think Tesco's version of this product would do the same job or would it not be natural??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

SoCo2009 wrote: »
    Thanks Recliner!

Do you think Tesco's version of this product would do the same job or would it not be natural??

I can't buy it cos it contains chemical fragrance (Parfume), that aside it seems to be a very similar product

I am sure it would do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭SoCo2009

Thanks for much for that!

Any further help would be much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Thanks for much for that!

Any further help would be much appreciated :D

Yep,i use "Natural Source" showever gel purely because it smells good,it won't do you any harm to try it,thats one way of putting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Did your doctor tell you to use anti-bacterial soap? Most of us are carrying SA on our skin all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

I went to my doctors the other day to get him to look at a couple of infected boils and he told me I have the bacteria 'Staphylococcus aureus' on my skin which was causing these.

He gave me a two week course of antibiotics to clear them up , but can anyone recommend a good shower gel to prevent this returning?

Or any other hygiene tips?

Thanks

SoCo

Staph or MRSA as the Americans call it is quite common in combat and contact sports!!

Do you train in a gym/sports? There are a few threads about staph/cellulitus/mrsa over on the SDMA forum which you should read for further information including several experiences from coaches and fighters. There are several opinions about prevention including a few which say that using an antibacterial shower gel will only make it easier to get infected going forward.

The first and most important thing you can do is to disinfect and cover all cuts or open wounds immediately. Personally i use antibacterial wipes on cuts and then tcp later. Disinfecting cuts when they arise cant be stressed enough

If you dont train in sport then you need to have a look at other causes which could be causing it, and i'm sorry for saying this but personal hygiene and working conditions are two big factors.

Good luck

Edit to add: SDMA thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055980627

Advertisement