Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst city in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Surely Belfast is a major city?
    Yeah but there's a lot of them up in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yeah but there's a lot of them up in Belfast.
    A lot of what?

In order from the biggest shithole to smallest [in my opinion];

Dublin
    Limerick
    Belfast - quite a nice city overall
    Galway

I'm not in Cork enough to pass judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Never found Dublin dangerous. Ennis dangerous?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Dudess wrote: »
    Ennis dangerous?!

At night, very. The rest of the time it's grand. Sub-Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

IrishAm wrote: »
    Ok then. Cork, the accent, the city(lol) itself and the people are horrendous.

I presume when you composed that piece, you switched off your brain.
    In Cork you would be known as a langer.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5 SunSet357

To be fair, I've spent time in scores of cities in dozens of countries and Limerick was by far the most depressing. Some parts of Cusco are bleak, Prague was grotty in the 90s as was Mainz. La Plata was a bit sterile, but Limerick was still definitely the most depressing.

Scores + Dozens = Vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

At night its really bad, maybe the most dangerous central town/city in Ireland. I don't really understand why since everyone seems so nice during the day and theres no visible scumbags or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

SunSet357 wrote: »
    Scores + Dozens = Vomit.
    Fine post. Great to have a scholar join the ranks of Boards posters.

At night its really bad, maybe the most dangerous central town/city in Ireland. I don't really understand why since everyone seems so nice during the day and theres no visible scumbags or anything.
    The obvious explanation is alcohol-induced rural vampirism.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Alcohol + youth = fire on top of fire .plato

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Waterford - sh-t factory town (er city) where you're a nobody unless someone's spreading rumours about you!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

hell yes, there's a rakes of scumbags in Ennis these days

qwerty93 wrote: »
    Before going to college in Limerick, I was quite wary of the image portrayed in the media, but living there it couldnt be further from the truth (well in castletroy anyway!) In 3 years never have I once seen a fight in the city on a night out, feel much safer there than in Dublin anyway

I used to live right off O'Connell st in an apartment block, I lost count of the amount of fights I saw out my window over the years, could see up to the chicken hut, thats place is scum central on weekend nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

I always thought you had to have a cathedral and a population of X for city status.

And I used the ? as I said I thought Kilkenny was. So is it or isn't it?

There are many cities around the world without Cathedrals, like Riyadh , Jakarta, Tel Aviv etc etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

limerick scored highest on the boards.ie vote poll at 182 eventhough i didnt vote limerick,there should be more choices than limerick,dublin,galway and cork,but i suppose it will do for now,i think the worst place for me is dublin(i always think sheriff street near the city),or limerick..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

MAJOR cities...I also left out Belfast and Derry. I didn't want to get to confuse folks with more than 4 choices.

ah now, no city in Ireland can even remotely be considered a MAJOR city. either way, it was a fairly mean spirited thing to do to leave it out. also, counting past 4 is confusing? :confused:
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    Dublin wins!

genius, this is a poll you don't want Dublin to win!
    krudler wrote: »
    hell yes, there's a rakes of scumbags in Ennis these days

ah it's not that bad. A teenager was tragically murdered on O' Connell street a few years back which got headlines but overall it's no better or worse than any other large town.

I have to say, I like all the Irish cities. they all have their bad areas, but they're generally good and there's always things to do. Threads like this don't tend to end well.

• When visiting limerick i remember the 1st thing i saw was a prison to the left then a dump of a housing estate to the right :cool:

Well then, it seems you took a stroll down Mulgrave Street, officially the creepiest street in Europe. :eek:

At one extreme is an undertaker, at the other extreme is the grave yard, and in between the two is a prison, a dog track, a mental hospital, and a homeless shelter. All within a ten minute walk in a straight line. And oh! The housing estate is no picnic either.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

Stab city. (Limerick)

Well then, it seems you took a stroll down Mulgrave Street, officially the creepiest street in Europe. :eek:

At one extreme is an undertaker, at the other extreme is the grave yard, and in between the two is a prison, a dog track, a mental hospital, and a homeless shelter. All within a ten minute walk in a straight line. And oh! The housing estate is no picnic either.

not to mention a former notorious pub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

grindle wrote: »
    Ennis dangerous?!

At night, very. The rest of the time it's grand. Sub-Tipp.
    Went out up there one night last summer - didn't notice anything intimidating. A bunch of gurriers doesn't make a place dangerous overall IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

MAJOR cities...I also left out Belfast and Derry. I didn't want to get to confuse folks with more than 4 choices.

Or was it because they were N Ireland? The question was Ireland, all your choices are in the Republic, Belfast is up there with Dublin as a major city.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Or was it because they were N Ireland? The question was Ireland, all your choices are in the Republic, Belfast is up there with Dublin as a major city.
    Ah feck off with your politics. 'Ireland' is the name of the state I come from.

Went out up there one night last summer - didn't notice anything intimidating. A bunch of gurriers doesn't make a place dangerous overall IMO.

Apparently I attract those gurriers and make them want to hurt me.
    Me not having an accent, or being skinny, is a crime against scum.

Have to say, blokey lads and girls of all kinds tend not to notice this crap as much.
    They think "Everyone's just a person, we're all the same.", just because they're not the target.
    I've taken enough shiit (and in Ennis, of all places! :eek: ) to know that gurriers look that way because they either are knackbags, or they aspire to be knackbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ah feck off with your politics. 'Ireland' is the name of the state I come from.

Touche.

;)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I lived in london for years but dublin i much prefer because it's everything that london is'nt . London i still admire greatly but dublin i like .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I live in Limerick, and I honestly hate it at this point. On one hand you have a hefty amount of scumbags and a growing number of junkies, on the other you have thick-headed students out making life a general hassle every time you want to go out for a drink, shaking their feathers at each other and acting the cave-dweller / generic-skank to get attention, and being a little dude I almost fucking inevitably become a target. I don't know where I'd like to live, given the choice, but I know I can't stay here for the sanity I got left. Every place has it's share of terrors, so at the end it's weighing up what it has going for it, and Limerick hasn't got a damn thing besides the Blind Pig just opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Limerick is the one city in Ireland that looks like the Celtic Tiger never arrived to.

Those that think that might be a good thing obviously never lived through the 1980s.

lol you obviously never saw it before the celtic tiger

I have not been out there much but it is pretty good if you know where to go.

I live in Limerick, and I honestly hate it at this point.

If you have any kind of programming background, move to Berlin or Amsterdam.
    If you're stuck in Ireland, move to Galway or Cork.
    (I moved to Cork because I like having a choice of things to do, and my interests centre around music, but, different strokes and all that...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Cork always seemed so grey and death-like, even on nice days. No idea what that's about.

Advertisement