Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free banking rules in AIB changed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

If it's zero balance why keep it open anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

You are right. I just called them and said that I must pay the account maintenance quarterly fee €4.50. I have to go to a AIB branch to cancel it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

right time to close my current accounts and move to ulster bank me thinks.
    I have a savings account and visa with aib but was told there wont be any charges to them.

suits me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

BuffyBot wrote: »
    You should be able to have 24 hour banking with just a credit card - it's how their Click card operates!

Great, just on to them now. They need to set me up again.

You should be able to have 24 hour banking with just a credit card - it's how their Click card operates!

I just closed my current account and reactivated my AIB credit card (I might need it in future), and set up direct debit to pay the credit card through PTSB. It worked.
    ...As far as i understand the 24 hour banking I can operate it? Is not closed once the current account is closed? I mean online not over the phone. I was told that the AIB current account will be closed tomorrow. I checked it now and is still operable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm not quite sure what your question is - but if your current internet banking is closed off when you close your current account, they can re-register you with just your credit card so you keep online access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

There was suggestion that there might be a problem paying an AIB mortgage from a non-AIB current account. Is this the case?

I doubt it. Up until recently I paid my ICS mortgage from my AIB account. It's just a direct debit. Cant see why there'd be problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

emy wrote: »
    You are right. I just called them and said that I must pay the account maintenance quarterly fee €4.50. I have to go to a AIB branch to cancel it!

A letter will also do the trick. The terms & conditions ask for written notification anyway, so just pop a letter in the post and ask for confirmation of the closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just a quick (probably silly) question.

Can I close my account in any branch? Don't live near 'my' branch

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Ulster Bank are useless for me at the moment.

I made an application online on 24th of March and had all documents required brought into my local branch on the 10th of April and sent. Hear nothing for weeks so go back into branch on the 1st of May and have them resend.

Just off the phone with their customer service and still nothing setup and the only advise I can get is to start a new application. It's not even in the process of being set up. There's nothing there at all according to CS.

Dodge wrote: »
    Just a quick (probably silly) question.

Can I close my account in any branch? Don't live near 'my' branch

If is AIB, yes you can. My branch was in Tipperary and I closed it here in Dublin. You will be given a form to sign it an write down that you want it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Just opened up a new ub acc. The oh recently did the same but had a mare with the switching over of dd etc so hopefully wont have the same prob!was with Aib since 10 so pissed to move but bugger em anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

Just wondering if anyone who opened an a/c with Ulster Bank via switcher received a list of their direct debits from AIB. How long does it normally take?

Also, received a letter during the week from AIB regarding the "standardising" of their current a/cs - the withdrawal of the cashsave a/c in my case. Talk about messing around! They state in the letter that the change comes in on 27th July and that i will not be charged maintenance and transaction fees on my a/c in the fee quarter following the conversion but that they would be applied from 3rd september. So if i am understanding this right, they intend to charge fees from May 28th(?) till whenever the fee quarter runs around july then change over the account to a standard current a/c - fee free until Sept 3rd when they will charge fees again!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hi quick question, I'm going over to U.S for summer on a J1, and decided that AIB would be best to bank with, as I have a student account and they don't charge fees on atm withdrawals ( give or take a 2oc transaction seemingly). Considering this, and the fact that other banks such as UB and BOI have a 2 % and 3.5% charge on atm withdrawals in the United States, am I better off sticking with AIB for duration of summer? I will eventually be hoping to transfer money if there is any remaining into an American account later.
    What fees am I looking at for the summer, if I stick with them, and am under the 2,500 threshold?

I could get a prepaid credit card with BOI or UB, which means I won't be charged taking out of an atm, effectively giving me the same deal as I am getting with my AIB Student account, but how long will it take to get one?
    I'm going away this Friday.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hi quick question, I'm going over to U.S for summer on a J1, and decided that AIB would be best to bank with, as I have a student account and they don't charge fees on atm withdrawals ( give or take a 2oc transaction seemingly).

I stand to be corrected - but I'm pretty sure that you'll still get charged the currency conversion charge for taking US dollars out. You won't pay AIB's base per-transaction ATM fee, but the normal currency conversion charges would still apply.
    I could get a prepaid credit card with BOI or UB, which means I won't be charged taking out of an atm, effectively giving me the same deal as I am getting with my AIB Student account, but how long will it take to get one?

Neither of those banks do a "prepaid" credit card. They offer a Visa Debit card, which is just a card which allows you to pay for things from your current account and use ATM's (in the same way that AIB's Laser card does). You would get charged for the currency conversion, and (in BOI's case) possibly for the ATM usage, unless you qualify for free fees with them. Either way, BOI haven't rolled out Visa Debit to all customers yet. UB have, but you still wouldn't have one by Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I stand to be corrected - but I'm pretty sure that you'll still get charged the currency conversion charge for taking US dollars out. You won't pay AIB's base per-transaction ATM fee, but the normal currency conversion charges would still apply.

Neither of those banks do a "prepaid" credit card. They offer a Visa Debit card, which is just a card which allows you to pay for things from your current account and use ATM's (in the same way that AIB's Laser card does). You would get charged for the currency conversion, and (in BOI's case) possibly for the ATM usage, unless you qualify for free fees with them. Either way, BOI haven't rolled out Visa Debit to all customers yet. UB have, but you still wouldn't have one by Friday.

O.k thanks, I have accounts with Ulster Bank and BOI as well, and have debit cards for all three. Only other thing with AIB as mentioned, is that it's laser and won't be taken in shops or anywhere. But maybe that's a good thing for me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hi quick question, I'm going over to U.S for summer on a J1, and decided that AIB would be best to bank with, as I have a student account and they don't charge fees on atm withdrawals ( give or take a 2oc transaction seemingly). Considering this, and the fact that other banks such as UB and BOI have a 2 % and 3.5% charge on atm withdrawals in the United States, am I better off sticking with AIB for duration of summer? I will eventually be hoping to transfer money if there is any remaining into an American account later.
    What fees am I looking at for the summer, if I stick with them, and am under the 2,500 threshold?

There's a limit of €100 per day with AIB on your AIB ATM cards in the US, make sure you are aware of this prior to going as it can leave you stuck.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aib-sets-limit-of-100-for-noneu-atm-withdrawals-2566895.html

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Caseywhale

Ulster bank announced this morning that they will be charging fees on all accounts.
    No more free banking. I hope people who switched to ulsterbank in the last while for the free feea voice their opinions to them.

Are there any options anywhere now to get free banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Caseywhale wrote: »
    Ulster bank announced this morning that they will be charging fees on all accounts.
    No more free banking. I hope people who switched to ulsterbank in the last while for the free feea voice their opinions to them.

source?

• Advertisement

00sully wrote: »

source?

The news

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Link to article?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ouch. I dont see any way to avoid the fees. Can anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Elessar

This was always going to happen. Glad I stayed with my original bank now (NIB).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Link to article?
    This is the article he's talking about. Given it's:
    • the Independent
    • mentions no sources whatsoever
    • gets some basic facts wrong:
      1. you don't need to have €3000 in your BOI account to qualify for free fees and you certainly don't need to make 9 transactions on top of that
      2. they completely misinterpreted the Central Bank study on personal account charges)
    I would take the article with a large pinch of salt. Seems more likely they're just taking an educated guess (UB may as well introduce fees), rather than having any sources
    cookie1977 wrote: »
    ouch. I dont see any way to avoid the fees. Can anyone else?
    ? The PDF Kenny Logins linked to shows no fees for a standard private account

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    This is the article he's talking about. Given it's:
    • the Independent
    • mentions no sources whatsoever
    • gets some basic facts wrong:
      1. you don't need to have €3000 in your BOI account to qualify for free fees and you certainly don't need to make 9 transactions on top of that
      2. they completely misinterpreted the Central Bank study on personal account charges)
    I would take the article with a large pinch of salt. Seems more likely they're just taking an educated guess (UB may as well introduce fees), rather than having any sources

? The PDF Kenny Logins linked to shows no fees for a standard private account

Possibly but is it that they're saying there's no monthly charge but charges are being introduced for some things (page 18 of that pdf). It's a bit unclear.

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/generic/bank-charges.ashx

205964.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭28064212

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Possibly but is it that they're saying there's no monthly charge but charges are being introduced for some things (page 18 of that pdf). It's a bit unclear.

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/generic/bank-charges.ashx
    Those charges have always been there. "Free banking" refers to transaction fees, not extra services. In fact, here's a link to the 2010 version, there's been no substantiative changes

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Link to article?

News talk radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Oddly this Irish Times article dated today doesn't mention the Ulster Bank charges even though with the title I expected it to: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0522/1224316492020.html

So all we have is the Independent article (which flat out gets other things wrong) and Newstalk (could they have got it from the Independent? They do have a newspaper review).

Advertisement