Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just started Zelda OOT for the first time.

.... Awaits backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,369 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just started Zelda OOT for the first time.

.... Awaits backlash.

Prepare to be bored and underwhelmed.

.... awaits backlash :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

o1s1n wrote: »

Controversial I would imagine. We'll see.

It'll be a lenghty process though as I'll only get to play it for twenty mins now and then.

Probably finish it some time in 2015. Lol

Master of the Universe

It's very of it's time. I can see how people were blown away by it. Don't think it holds up too well these days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It's very of it's time. I can see how people were blown away by it. Don't think it holds up too well these days though.

:eek: You wash your mouth out sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

I played it a year back and enjoyed what I played but didn't feel the need to finish it. Mind you that describes how I feel about almost every Zelda game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Whether you agree or not it's one of the very best games ever made, unlike Metal Slug. :p

Playing some Zero Wing on the Nomad this evening, really like it. Looks excellent and great soundtrack. Might see about tracking down the pcb some day.

Master of the Universe

Groundbreaking, important, a milestone - all these things, that it is.

I just don't think it's stood the test of time really. It's enjoyable, it just feels very baron. Like you're walking around a tech demo.

We've really advanced so much in 3d, free roaming exploratory games that going back to something like that is difficult.

I've never really played Zero Wing much beyond watching the great intro, must give it a bash some evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Kinda like goldeneye or like most n64 games.
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Whether you agree or not it's one of the very best games ever made, unlike Metal Slug. :p

Playing some Zero Wing on the Nomad this evening, really like it. Looks excellent and great soundtrack. Might see about tracking down the pcb some day.

Was playing road rash 2 and sonic 1 on my own. Only two that worked. :(

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Kinda like goldeneye or like most n64 games.

Yep! Spot on.

An Everdrive is really a must purchase for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

But it does hold up! :mad: If anything, its better, since when I first played back when I was very young, I didn't appreciate it, now I do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Groundbreaking, important, a milestone - all these things, that it is.

I just don't think it's stood the test of time really. It's enjoyable, it just feels very baron. Like you're walking around a tech demo.

We've really advanced so much in 3d, free roaming exploratory games that going back to something like that is difficult.

I've never really played Zero Wing much beyond watching the great intro, must give it a bash some evening.

At a technical level, there's no doubt all 3d games suffer more than other genres against the march of time, PC games included. But I personally don't think that detracts from the experience when you're taking about a great game. It would be like a car fan saying the Aston Martin DB9 is a bit crap because it's not as fast as a Vanquish, or Senna's sublime 1988 McLaren is duff compared to the latest Red Bull. Great classic cars are still great, same for games and most things actually.

Zero Wing defo worth a play. What other good MD shmups are there? Other than Eliminate Down, Gynoug, Musha and maybe Raiden. Did R-Type ever get a port? Must see what Hellfire is like again, didn't fancy it the first time I played it.

I presume you just need to get the region mod done to sort that. When you get the screen mod it'll be like a different machine again, massive difference.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Zelda OoT, I finally finished it in its 3ds incarnation and loved it.
    I have it on the N64, GC and the GC Zelda promo, never finished it on any of them!
    But the graphical update on the 3DS makes the great gameplay and design shine through.
    Majoras Mask, as a side story to the main time line is still impressive, and that includes the N64 original as well as the GC and Wii ware editions.

But I do think you are being unnecessarily hard on OoT.

Zero Wing is great alright, have you own Nomad with me today, plus my Everdrive, must have a blast.
    Kerbdog put a complete MD collection onto it too, but no Gley Lancer!

Screen mod, region and battery mod. Owning a nomad is a lot of responsibility and I didn't know what I was getting into. Should have got a game gear to warm me up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Screen mod, region and battery mod. Owning a nomad is a lot of responsibility and I didn't know what I was getting into. Should have got a game gear to warm me up.

Well, the screen and region mod can be done at the same time, just order the parts and our friendly neighbourhood soldering iron jockey could be convinced to come out of retirement to do the work for you!
    The battery mod is simple, just order the appropriate camcorder battery and an old rechargeable Nomad power pack and you can do the surgery yourself, I did and it worked out fine despite my lack of experience.
    Then you'll be on the pigs back!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, the screen and region mod can be done at the same time, just order the parts and our friendly neighbourhood soldering iron jockey could be convinced to come out of retirement to do the work for you!
    The battery mod is simple, just order the appropriate camcorder battery and an old rechargeable Nomad power pack and you can do the surgery yourself, I did and it worked out fine despite my lack of experience.
    Then you'll be on the pigs back!

where would one order the parts for the screen mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

OoT in the same league as Goldeneye? Does forum even have any mods?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

You should of its a better handheld.

Waits for the backlash :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    OoT in the same league as Goldeneye? Does forum even have any mods?? :D

Yeah, I thought it was some sort of crazy talk too.
    Zelda OoT really is a masterpiece, even if the visuals leave something to be desired at times, mostly they're just fine.

Master of the Universe

At a technical level, there's no doubt all 3d games suffer more than other genres against the march of time, PC games included. But I personally don't think that detracts from the experience when you're taking about a great game. It would be like a car fan saying the Aston Martin DB9 is a bit crap because it's not as fast as a Vanquish, or Senna's sublime 1988 McLaren is duff compared to the latest Red Bull. Great classic cars are still great, same for games and most things actually.

Ah I know man, and I'd never rag on a game on a technical level if it still plays well... and I'm not saying OOT is a bad game (It's not) I just find it very empty of, well, things. It needs far more NPCs and things dotted about the world. It feels empty.
    Zero Wing defo worth a play. What other good MD shmups are there? Other than Eliminate Down, Gynoug, Musha and maybe Raiden. Did R-Type ever get a port? Must see what Hellfire is like again, didn't fancy it the first time I played it.

Thunderforce III and IV, Gleylancer, Slap Fight, Gaiares, Verytex... there are loads of them :) It's like the Saturn for crap loads of shmups. Nice list here

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/genesis/the-sega-genesis-megadrive-shmup-library

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Finished Zelda and the Minish cap on the gba.

FF7 through the psp next.
    I've started this game about 5 times but never cleared it. This time its happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Started a new play through of Shenmue last night, been promising myself that I'd start for ages.

I had forgotten just how much attention to detail there is in that game, reminds me of why I love it so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Finished Zelda and the Minish cap on the gba.

FF7 through the psp next.
    I've started this game about 5 times but never cleared it. This time its happening.

Perhaps my favorite Zelda game, must go back to my OoT play through on the 3DS

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Rendeva

I recently introduced a friend to Fire Emblem on the GBA, it got me interested in playing through the hard mode in it too :D

I gave the Fire Emblem Demo a whirl on the 3DS, really not my sort of game but it totally sucked me in in the few short minutes I played. Is it likely to be a future rarity?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I gave the Fire Emblem Demo a whirl on the 3DS, really not my sort of game but it totally sucked me in in the few short minutes I played. Is it likely to be a future rarity?

It took me 3 months before I got my hands on a US copy, the PAL version seems to be suffering from similar stock shortages and previous Fire Emblems can go for insane prices. I'd buy it ASAP. It's a bloody fantastic game as well, lots of people just won't touch turn based games but Fire Emblem shows how wrong those people are.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It took me 3 months before I got my hands on a US copy, the PAL version seems to be suffering from similar stock shortages and previous Fire Emblems can go for insane prices. I'd buy it ASAP. It's a bloody fantastic game as well, lots of people just won't touch turn based games but Fire Emblem shows how wrong those people are.

*Wrings hands, sweats profusely* Oh I don't know what to do! I'll move it up the list so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

just got to the floating continent in ff6 so I guess I'm half way through? No idea. 20 hours or so spent on it so far

Enjoying Spec Ops The Line, if white phosphorus bombing civilians is "enjoyment".
    Some of the checkpoint placements are a little ropey though, spending many minutes pushing forward, even seeing a small cutscene, only to snuff it and be bounced all the way back.
    But it is well made, a refreshing change from the Call of Modern Gunw@nk games out there.
    Nearly finished now and then to decide if to start Skyrim or not....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I downloaded Final Fantasy VII last night on the PS3. Last time I played it was when it was released, 16 years ago ( :eek: ) and I was only 14 at the time, doing my jnr cert.

Played through an hour of it today, some serious nostalgia! Hopefully the game still has the magic it had back then. I still remember the day I got it, fired it up and that first moment when Cloud jumps off the train. And, I got to see
    sephiroth killing aerith (hope I didnt spoil that for anyone lol!)
    before it was common knowledge.

That was a whole summer spent playing that game :) If I recall, my final clock time on it was something like 120 hours, does that sound right?

I probably wont play all the way through this time, maybe just get to the point where you leave Midgar. €10 well spent!

Advertisement