Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free banking rules in AIB changed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Well i'm moving bank then, anyone got any good suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Ulster Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Ulster Bank

Agree...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 448 ✭✭tunedout

Korvanica wrote: »
    Well i'm moving bank then, anyone got any good suggestions ?

I just signed up for Ulster Bank. They look much more professional, competitive and appreciative. Application process has been simple so far aswell. Spread the word. This will cost most people more than the household charge. F*ck them. They should be appreciative enough of the almost guaranteed future business they would have got off of most of their current account holders:
    Ulster Bank can now look forward to my business for the future, which will probably include personal loans, a new credit card, debit card and credit card fees from vendors, and probably even be the provider of choice for a mortgage now (not because of these charges but because I will have my current account with them)

People please vote with ye'r feet, send an email to people who are less financially aware.

It would be worth anything to see AIB reverse this decision and be short 200,000 customers. This day and age, no interest current account and "Phone and Internet transaction fees". Poorly run and not competitive, they stink of state ownership. They will be scratching their heads then wondering why their own financial situation is even worse than anticipated then in 12 months.

Honestly, how the hell is an account with €500 any more expensive to provide an internet transaction to than an account with €3000. Bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

tunedout wrote: »

Honestly, how the hell is an account with €500 any more expensive to provide an internet transaction to than an account with €3000. Bullsh*t.

Becuase if the have access almost permanently to 2500 euro from your account it'll make their balance sheets look very good. Plus they can loan out more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

They have to bring this out just as my AIB Graduate Account is about to lose it's fee-free banking period... Looks like I'll be switching to UB as well.

One thing I'm not looking forward to though is trying to change my details with the DSP for my Disability payments...

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Becuase if the have access almost permanently to 2500 euro from your account it'll make their balance sheets look very good. Plus they can loan out more

Not almost. Just permanently.

Thankfully, with Ulster Bank, it seems it is not left to the customer to make the balance sheets look good, that's the job of the management (as it should be).

The balance sheet for AIB will show one less customer with AIB and one more customer with Ulster Bank this evening anyway due to this announcement - I can only speak for myself.

TheChrisD wrote: »
    They have to bring this out just as my AIB Graduate Account is about to lose it's fee-free banking period... Looks like I'll be switching to UB as well.

One thing I'm not looking forward to though is trying to change my details with the DSP for my Disability payments...

It looks like theirs some sort of a migration option during the current account application that Ulster Bank carry out on your behalf. I selected no to that option but maybe all lodgements/direct debits etc get sorted? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

tunedout wrote: »
    It looks like theirs some sort of a migration option during the current account application that Ulster Bank carry out on your behalf. I selected no to that option but maybe all lodgements/direct debits etc get sorted? Just a thought.

Unfortunately, that's only for payments out of your account, not in to your account. I haven't had to bother the DSP with anything since I got my disability over four years ago!

I'll be keeping an eye on the Accessibility and Disability forum in case other pop up with the same concerns as me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mark me down for another who'll be migrating, I'm an AIB customer since 1995 but I'm not sticking around to be gouged.

• Advertisement

Mark me down for another who'll be migrating, I'm an AIB customer since 1995 but I'm not sticking around to be gouged.

I wonder could we add one of those surveys to this thread? Like the pie chart that boards do? Out of curiosity? I know response numbers might not be huge but it might be interesting.

"Will you move bank due to this announcement?"

or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

so if your well off you get away with charges, and if your poor you get hit with charges.

Nothing new here, way the country's always been.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭Tefral

johndoe99 wrote: »
    so if your well off you get away with charges, and if your poor you get hit with charges.

Nothing new here, way the country's always been.:mad:

The bank is run by the government.. apple doesnt fall far from the tree.
    Im with them since the early 90s had a savings account with them as a kid that i paid into.

They can go F-off now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

VISA debt card here I come

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I shall be switching myself soon enough so. This migrating option for Ulster Bank. Am I right in thinking that all direct debits outgoing of my aib current account will be switched over? The only thing I have coming out is bills but it would be nice not to have to ring each provider and change details, but I would do it if I had to anyway.

I assume for any setups for money incoming into the AIB current account I will have to change myself. Such as the children's allowance at the beginning of the month. Not too bad if so. Less sources incoming than outgoing, typical...

Ooh just spotted Visa Debit. Why the hell I didn't look around sooner and change. Life would be so much simpler!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭chasm

TheChrisD wrote: »

Same as that regarding the disability payments :(
    I've been with AIB since 1987 and i've never done this "migration" thing before so i am a bit worried that once i move everything over, payments in and DD out etc, will the transition be smooth or am i going to end up with a load of late or unpaid bills. Any advise on the best way to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

How long does it normally take for a payment to go from AIB to Ulster Bank? My employer banks with AIB, as do I, and I have my wages in my account on the same day that they are paid. I assume there will be a few days wait before they would hit my Ulster Bank account but anyone know how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭kelzer

Is there any UB branch in Dublin that anyone would recommend to open an account?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭datk

How long does it normally take for a payment to go from AIB to Ulster Bank? My employer banks with AIB, as do I, and I have my wages in my account on the same day that they are paid. I assume there will be a few days wait before they would hit my Ulster Bank account but anyone know how long?

My company banks with AIB and I'm with NIB - my pay is always there the day it's supposed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 amod

AIB is retarded. Has AIB Management lost its senses completely ? No person in right mind would have 2500 every day in current account. Why not open a savings account and dump 2500 into it. I hope AIB lose 500,00-600,000 accounts by May 2012 and come to their senses. Else its bye-bye to AIB completely. For me, Ulster Bank is the way to go. I looked at online banking demo anmd Since thats the only bank without charges, it will be not long before they start charging too. We need to find a way out of this. Does anybody know of a credit union which has better banking facilities ? Else open account in online only bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Badhb

I'll be moving too. I have been with AIB for 25yrs. This is ridicolous. My only worry is that after all the hassle of moving will Ulster Bank suddenly do the same re:charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yawns wrote: »
    I shall be switching myself soon enough so. This migrating option for Ulster Bank. Am I right in thinking that all direct debits outgoing of my aib current account will be switched over? The only thing I have coming out is bills but it would be nice not to have to ring each provider and change details, but I would do it if I had to anyway.

I assume for any setups for money incoming into the AIB current account I will have to change myself. Such as the children's allowance at the beginning of the month. Not too bad if so. Less sources incoming than outgoing, typical...

Ooh just spotted Visa Debit. Why the hell I didn't look around sooner and change. Life would be so much simpler!

I moved to ub from aib.

The only manual change that had to be done was my wages, and that's as easy as a telephone call from your employer to their bank. I guess sw payments would be similar.

And, the wages arrive same day, like they always did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

have been with AIB for around 25yrs also ... seriously considering moving - I have 5 accounts with them, definately wont be able to maintain a balance of €2,500 .....considering Ulster Bank or BOI (over a period of 3months will definately lodge 3K)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

We have two accounts with AIB for more years than I care to remember. I'm off to Ulster Bank. AIB probably don't give a sh1t but I will have a long memory about this and if and when "good" times return they won't entice me back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

is this charge going to be on student accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

would it be worth sending an email to the press officers ? to explain what a bad PR exercise this will be for the company ?

http://www.aib.ie/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=PressOffice/PO_HomePage&poSection=MC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Didn't BoI introduce banking fees like this last year and there was a brief media furore about it..and then life just continued?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aod113

Moved to AIB years ago when I got fed up of BOI and their poor customer service. Looks like history repeating itself. Such a shame because up until today I was really happy with AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I have a personal loan out with AIB at the moment. I would like to move banks as a result of this charge, but I assume it's not possible to move the loan? Can I close my current account, keep the loan account going, and pay off the loan from an account with a different bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Badhb

PCPhoto wrote: »
    would it be worth sending an email to the press officers ? to explain what a bad PR exercise this will be for the company ?

http://www.aib.ie/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=PressOffice/PO_HomePage&poSection=MC

Done!

Advertisement