Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renting a van?

• 29-05-2011 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I'm thinking of moving apartment over the next month or two but would need to move my stuff - no furniture just (lots of!) clothes, kitchen stuff and a tv/laptop. so would need to hire a van (and driver). It would all be packed up and ready to go so 'twould literally be a 5/10 minute spin up the road with the stuff and then I would unload it. Does anyone know how much it might cost approx (€50 maybe?? I haven't a clue tbh so a ballpark would be great!) and the name of any decent 'man with a van' type services? I have seen those 'hiravan' vans around but I don't think they come with drivers - you just hire the van on its own??

Thanks a mill :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

For a small move like that, it would make a lot more sense to hire a "man with a van" rather than going through the process of renting a van and driving it yourself.

There are man with a van listings pretty much everywhere you look but very few of these will have the proper insurance for the work they do, even a lot of reputable looking websites advertising such services don't have adequate cover.

The cost can vary greatly, I've seen classifieds stating "pay what you want from as little as €1, you decide!" and all sorts, so you have a lot of choice. If you feel insurance is important for items of high value I would strongly suggest using a business who can provide insurance as if anything goes wrong, you wont have much comeback using the aforementioned services. Also, with such anonymous set-ups, there is little risk of bad press for cancelling a job if they get something more profitable.

It's up to you whether you want to just get the move done as cheaply as possible or paying a bit extra is worth it for peace of mind and a reliable service.

Most jobs I do I'd charge based on time and if you choose a business who charge the same way, you can make it cheaper for yourself by having everything packed and ready to go to make the move as quick as possible. Use strong and sturdy boxes which can be fully closed and taped over for easy moving, packing and stacking in the van, put clothes, duvets, sheets, pillows into heavy duty bags. Try and have as little loose items as possible as the smallest things end up taking the longest to move and try and protect for transport in the van. Most supermarkets are more than happy to give boxes away for free but ask in advance if possible and again, try and not get open top boxes.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Thanks Cormie - yes I was planning to go for the 'man with a van' option. I'm based in Limerick which was why I was looking for a local recommendation - as it is literally going to be a 5 minute spin down the road I figured it would keep the cost down to keep it local, but I would want a decent / professional outfit rather than just some chancer! Thanks for the helpful advice :)

No problem :) Unfortunately I've no personal experience of any outlet in Limerick so couldn't suggest anyone, but best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

try the limerick post, in the adverts section

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I know someone who might do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

It would work out cheaper to hire a minibus taxi. For a 5-10 minute journey and moving your stuff into and out of the taxi it would only cost you about €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Even if it onle a 5 to 10 minute journey it would be cheaper to hire the van. Go up to Darren in Hiravan 50 a day for a transit. Man with a van would at least charge that price anyway. Plus you can do any other furniture moves or shopping when you have it for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I've used vantasks.ie, no hassle with them.

It would work out cheaper to hire a minibus taxi. For a 5-10 minute journey and moving your stuff into and out of the taxi it would only cost you about €20.

I'm almost sure a taxi wouldn't have adequate insurance to do this work either and although it may just be a 5-10 minute journey, the load and unload time could take 10 times that, plus eclectichoney has pointed out they have a lot of things, so would it even fit in one taxi load? You should also expect that you may have to do all the lifting yourself while the taxi driver waits in the mini bus with the meter running. You mentioned you're moving from an apartment, which in general have lifts if you're on anything but ground floor and a million doors to get through. It's also doubtful the taxi will have a hand truck or anything to aid the move so could be quite risky.
    kilburn wrote: »
    Even if it onle a 5 to 10 minute journey it would be cheaper to hire the van. Go up to Darren in Hiravan 50 a day for a transit. Man with a van would at least charge that price anyway. Plus you can do any other furniture moves or shopping when you have it for the day.

Is that price including insurance and everything? If you don't have driving of commercial vehicles on your current insurance policy, or don't have a current insurance policy, this will most likely be extra. €50 is a very good price if insurance and everything else is included. The last van I rented, even though I already had commercial insurance, was around €100 for the day. There is the added hassle and cost of going to get the van and having to drop it back when you're already under enough pressure and stress moving. Also, if you're not used to driving something so big, the risk of damaging the hire vehicle increases. I know after buying my first van, I was used to driving a Ford Fiesta and Nissan Micra, after no more than 10 minutes of driving my brand new 2nd hand banger of a van, I had scraped the whole rear wheel arch off a low wall making a turn on a tight country road :o
    I've used vantasks.ie, no hassle with them.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation however I'm only based in Dublin at present and to do a Limerick-Limerick move would be far too expensive as it would have to take into consideration getting from and back to Dublin :) Dublin to anywhere or anywhere to Dublin would be fine though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

just sit down and relax, you will receive plenty of PMs soon from people offering you services

I can tell you that the common quote I was getting was in the region of e50 + petrol cost, most of the time that included help from the driver

to be honest at that price it was better for me to pay someone for their service than hire a van for a day/two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I can do it for you for 50 :-)

Im a out of work carpenter gone back to college, I have a vw transporter

Im in the city area !

holler if you want :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

iPwnage wrote: »
    I can do it for you for 50 :-)

Im a out of work carpenter gone back to college, I have a vw transporter

Im in the city area !

holler if you want :D

Would ya not be a decent boardsie and do it for free plus price of diesel/cup of coffee and a sandwich :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Ah I suppose I would :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Rented from Hiravan by Lyons of Limerick recently - They allowed me to drop back late (phoned ahead etc.) without any extra charge and I will go back & recommend to anyone on all counts.

P.S. Don't forget insurance co. admins costs when deciding to go this route - They charge €50-60......

What was the total cost including your insurance company admin charge Raiser?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Raiser welcome good to see you, i thought you were dead or in prison :p

Advertisement