Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PPES vs BESS at Trinity College

Options
  • 10-07-2016 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    I'm going into sixth year next year and I can't decide whether I want to do PPES or BESS in trinity (assuming I get the points).
    Is anyone here doing one of these courses or does anyone here know anyone on them. Would be grateful if anyone here could give me any of their thoughts that I could consider. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My advice is to keep as general as possible... I did BBS in public policy in dcu. Loved it. So BESS.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I graduated from BESS back in 2005. Opened a lot of opportunities for me in various industries. It is well regarded and keeps the career options open.
    Definitely wouldn't be where I am today had a done a more specific course.
    BESS, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Above responses seem to ignore that they are similarly broad courses!

In effect, there are two differences: 1) one has business where the other has philosophy, and 2) the PPES structure is slightly more rigid, as you must do three subjects in second year and two in third, whereas, after first year, anything goes in BESS, provided you take at least half of your modules in a single subject and meet your intended graduating major's prerequisites.

Personally...unless you have an interest in business/accounting/finance, I'd advise PPES. (And even if you do, I'd still probably advise it!) Philosophy is a great subject that is beneficial to anyone, whereas business...well... :p While not that important, PPES has a much better reputation on campus, and even though you'd share many of your lectures with BESS people, the feeling of being in the PPES cohort is definitely likely to provide some motivation to do well.

All that said, not much difference between them at all - certainly not one the points differential warrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

Philosophy is a great subject that is beneficial to anyone, whereas business...well...
    Business provides easy internship opportunities into Marketing, Finance et al. If your primary motivation is a career and job opportunities, Business > Philosophy as a module path.

Aside from that, the first year business module is an interesting look at the history and evolution of organisations/management. Org Behaviour in 2nd year and Business in Society in 3rd year (condensed philosophy light on the role of business in modern society) are also modules that are interesting, relevant and useful beyond simply choosing a career path.
    While not that important, PPES has a much better reputation on campus
    PPES doesn't have a reputation on campus in my experience, except perhaps to PPES people? I'd argue that most trinity students are unaware that it even exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

khamilto wrote:
    If your primary motivation is a career and job opportunities, Business > Philosophy as a module path.

I disagree.

khamilto wrote:
    Aside from that, the first year business module is an interesting look at the history and evolution of organisations/management..

I disagree.

• Advertisement

khamilto wrote: »
    Business provides easy internship opportunities into Marketing, Finance et al. If your primary motivation is a career and job opportunities, Business > Philosophy as a module path.

Aside from that, the first year business module is an interesting look at the history and evolution of organisations/management. Org Behaviour in 2nd year and Business in Society in 3rd year (condensed philosophy light on the role of business in modern society) are also modules that are interesting, relevant and useful beyond simply choosing a career path.

PPES doesn't have a reputation on campus in my experience, except perhaps to PPES people? I'd argue that most trinity students are unaware that it even exists.

I would largely agree with Grolschevik on the first point. One can categorically say having studied business is in no way preferred for getting into high finance, like investment banking. You may be right abouut job prospects in accounting / general business specifically, but it's foolish to think that philosophy trumps business elsewhere, including marketing. Difference for internship opportunities minimal too, and nothing that involvement in Student Managed Fund won't greatly overcome.

Let's not discuss the merits or otherwise of business studies. But I think the business corner would lose in a match up with the oldest academic discipline, famed for how it debelops critical thinking and depth of mind. Condensed philosophy?! :D While I have no idea what is covered in Business in Society, I would be fairly confident that's it's trivial versus what one studies in a philosophy degree. And incidetnally, it's not the content that one studies that makes philosophy rewarding, it's the whole process of engaging with some of the most complex lines of thinking you'll ever encounter.

Without sounding snooty, to anyone it matters, PPES has a significantly better reputation. As I said, that doesn't really matter. But, then again, neither does what university you go to, yet people get a lot of satisfaction out of having gone to Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭khamilto

I would largely agree with Grolschevik on the first point. One can categorically say having studied business is in no way preferred for getting into high finance, like investment banking. You may be right abouut job prospects in accounting / general business specifically, but it's foolish to think that philosophy trumps business elsewhere, including marketing. Difference for internship opportunities minimal too, and nothing that involvement in Student Managed Fund won't greatly overcome.
    When did Finance become 'high finance'?

Indeed, what exactly is high finance because I'm certain that it doesn't mean what you think it does.

If you want to get into investment banking, you study a hard science that involves statistics and/or advanced math. You don't study philosophy or business. Most jobs in finance are not quants jobs and are not aimed at quants grads.

Internships certainly do differ, how many organisations directly target PPES in Trinity vs BESS? How many student ambassadors for said organisations in PPES vs BESS?

Studying two years of marketing (and at least on year of Org Behaviour) certainly trumps philosophy for a marketing job, particularly with how high profile the relevant lecturers are and how heavily Dr. Brady in particular 'markets' students to outside companies.

Let's not discuss the merits or otherwise of business studies. But I think the business corner would lose in a match up with the oldest academic discipline, famed for how it debelops critical thinking and depth of mind.

You are showing your naivety and lack of real world knowledge here if you think any but the slimmest majority of companies want critical thinking and depth of mind(quite the contrary, according to empirical evidence), or that they automatically represent the cream of the crop.

You're also making the logical error that because Philosophy has in the past been famed (in uncertain times and unspecified places), TCD Philosophy is great and everyone is recognisant of that.

Condensed philosophy?! :D While I have no idea what is covered in Business in Society, I would be fairly confident that's it's trivial versus what one studies in a philosophy degree.
    A one year module is trivial next to 4 years of modules? Well I never! Here we see how the wonderful discipline of philosophy enables you to insightfully cut through my argument!

I never argued that BiS is equal to 4 years of Philosophy. Unfortunately it seems that studying Philosophy (the oldest academic discipline in the world!) teaches neither reading comprehension nor critical thinking.

'Condensed philosophy light on the role of business in modern society' (is an interesting and relevant module) would seem to be self explanatory on what it is and isn't.

And incidetnally, it's not the content that one studies that makes philosophy rewarding, it's the whole process of engaging with some of the most complex lines of thinking you'll ever encounter.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/iamverysmart/ awaits you.
    Without sounding snooty, to anyone it matters, PPES has a significantly better reputation.
    I sincerely doubt that you know anyone that matters. Or else, the only people that matter to you are the people who agree with you that PPES is the best.

I suggest you should consider leaving your echo chamber occasionally, and try to avoid living up to unfortunate TCD stereotypes.

OP, I sincerely recommend you ignore the condescending rantings of the above poster :)

Advertisement